Author Topic: Bird pictures (Identification)  (Read 9487 times)

Offline Punkygirl0101

• Posts Too Much!
  • Dogs-Cats-Ferrets-Mice-Turtles-Fish
Bird pictures (Identification)
« on: April 09, 2008, 06:58:09 PM »
There were two birds squawking like mad in my backyard, so I went out to go see what was going on. I have some climbing rose bushes on a lattice fence. I notice them right above it squawking and swooping down. I then notice one of my cats, Melvin, on the lattice fence in the middle of some of the roses. They were in attack mode at him! After investigating, I saw a nest...must be what they are protecting. Doesn't appear to be anything in it, but I couldn't really see. I got Melvin to go down away from their nest. I took some pictures, just wondering who could identify them.

4 Rats-6 Dogs-3 Ferrets-1 Hamster-2 Box turtles-15 Cats (including fosters)

Offline Loganomic

Re: Bird pictures (Identification)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 07:03:52 PM »
It looks like a Northern Mockingbird to me. I could easily be wrong, but, as soon as I saw the pictures, that is what came to mind. I always end up with a pair nesting in a large oak tree in my backyard, and have witnessed them chasing off various other types of birds. They are not the type to stand by and watch, that's for sure. :P

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/mockbird/
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 07:07:34 PM by LoganWasHere »

Offline wickedrodent

• Posts Too Much!
  • "Its not always rainbows and butterflies"
    • Wicked's Crochet Cozies
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 07:22:08 PM »
That would have been my exact guess!  :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline tamena

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm NOT a llama!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 07:36:52 PM »
was gonna say the same thing :)
Mocking bird or maybe a cow bird.

either way they're neat to have around

Offline Gin

• Arts!
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 07:57:36 PM »
Mocking bird.  ;D Florida is full of them.
Owner of 12 rats:
Boys: Panda, Astrid, Aiden, Harry, Kujo, Kain, Fai, Rex and Champange
Girls: Elliot, Skye, Troy

Offline nancycccslp

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Mr.Whisper, Teddy Ratsevelt; my first rat friends
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 08:23:31 PM »
Northern Mockingbird.  And yes, they have NO TROUBLE dive-bombing a cat!
I miss you and love you Teddy Ratsevelt and Benny.  Thank you for being my heart rats.

It's not the size of the pet in your life, it's the size of the life in your pet

Offline Eileen

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Be nice to someone today!
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 08:29:21 PM »
Definitely a Northern Mockingbird. One sure fire tip is watch when they fly - you'll see a flash of white on the wings. Also, they bob their tail up & down.

Mockingbirds are big into defending their nest - we got a call a few years ago from a poor mailman who had a mockingbird attacking him everytime he tried to deliver mail on a particular block!

Great pictures, too!
Gulliver's Travels  may be over, but they will never be forgotten..

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 10:05:24 PM »
teehee melvin lol

Offline Sorraia

• Posts Too Much!
    • Confessions of a Rat Breeder
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 12:23:01 AM »
was gonna say the same thing :)
Mocking bird or maybe a cow bird.

either way they're neat to have around

DEFINITELY a mockingbird. VERY different from a cowbird. ;)

Female (brown-headed) cowbird:

I "work" with these birds for a living.  :wink5:
NOM-ology A study in rat nutrition.
http://nom-ology.blogspot.com

Confessions of a Rat Breeder
http://bwr-rats.blogspot.com/

Offline Punkygirl0101

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 03:00:47 PM »
 I have been getting a lot of different kinds of birds in my front and back yard at this house. LOTS of Blue jays, pigeons, doves,Blackbirds,and several different flocks of sparrows. I leave lots of seeds out, and soon getting some bird baths.. Not sure who will actually use them.

Offline Sorraia

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 05:11:42 PM »
I have been getting a lot of different kinds of birds in my front and back yard at this house. LOTS of Blue jays, pigeons, doves,Blackbirds,and several different flocks of sparrows. I leave lots of seeds out, and soon getting some bird baths.. Not sure who will actually use them.

Try different kinds of feeders and different seed mixes - you'll see even more variety! For example, use a regular hutch-style feeder (looks like a bird house) with a millet mix. This is a good "all around" way to go, you'll probably see a number of sparrows and finches using it, possibly also some blackbirds. Then get a tube feeder and fill it with black oil sunflower seeds (avoid the striped ones - these are too big and hard for the smaller bird species). This will get the same birds, but also runs the possibility of adding some variety (lots of birds like sunflower seeds). Then get a sock feeder and put thistle seed (aka "nyger" seed) in it. This attracts your goldfinches. Get a larger hutch-style feeder and fill it with a seed and berry mix or a seed and nut mix. This will bring in some of your larger, more omnivorous birds such as your jays, grosbeaks, and buntings. Another feeder to try is a platform. This is just what it sounds like: a platform or table. You probably will have to make it, but they are very easy. I made mine by nailing two flat 2' x 2' boards to a 2x4 piece of wood and set it up on some cinder blocks. This gave me two platforms to put seed on. You can put any and all of the above mixes on the platform, as well as corn (which will bring in doves and quail - depending on how far into the city you are) and see what you get! I have seen the most variety on my platform feeder. Another neat thing about the platform is you can put pieces of fruit or meal worms on it also. This will bring in other different kinds of birds, including orioles (who really like oranges) and possibly bluebirds. And last but not least, throw seed or cracked corn on the ground, and you'll attract a number of ground feeders. I've seen doves, jays, blackbirds, sparrows, finches, and warbler feeding off the ground, and some of those species won't so much as look at the feeders!

Offline Punkygirl0101

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 09:15:40 PM »
What type of dove is this? These guys hang out outside my window in a dead tree. I am pretty sure these two were mating...

Offline heidinratties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 09:21:41 PM »
Great bird pics!  I love birds.  I try and feed them but lately there's been construction going on in the apartment above mine so I think the noise keeps them from the feeders! 
3 male rats. 1 male hamster. 2 female cats.  1 boyfriend.

Offline Sorraia

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 09:37:05 PM »
Those would be mourning doves, and they do look like a pair! Keep an eye out, they might have a nest some time soon (if they don't already). But I warn you, it's not your traditional style nest. I found a mourning dove nest out in the field last week. Basically it was a few twigs and grasses stuck on a tree branch (not unlike what they are perching on in your pictures). Could very well have been placed there on accident. But it had a baby, and I'll tell you, it was the ugliest baby I had every seen! Cute in its own way, but ugly! I do have a picture, I'll have to get it posted.

Offline Sorraia

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 09:43:52 PM »
Ok, here's that baby mourning dove picture. Really, the ONLY way I know it's a mourning dove is because I flushed the parent off the nest as I approached. The way it flew off, I KNEW there was a nest nearby and had to look for it to make sure I didn't accidently knock it over. Such is the nature of my job!

And just because I think it's neat, here is a black phoebe nest I found a couple weeks ago:

Today those four little eggs are four "fuzzy" babies:

Offline Punkygirl0101

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 09:58:55 PM »
That is too neat! I am getting more and more into wild birds, and bird watching. I want to do more to my yard to make it bird friendly.

Those doves could very much be planning on a nest in that spot. So far they are their every morning, and afternoon.

Offline Otera

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 09:27:48 AM »
Northern Mockingbird.  And yes, they have NO TROUBLE dive-bombing a cat!
or a person.  there must be a nest by my house, I got dive-bombed by a mockingbird last night as I walked my dogs