Author Topic: How many ratties can a Martins 690 hold??  (Read 590 times)

Offline zoocrew26

• Posts Too Much!
How many ratties can a Martins 690 hold??
« on: April 20, 2008, 10:01:34 PM »
Just wondering! Thanks!  :)
22 rats (Jack, Oreo, Shyloh, Tucker, Remy, Gideon, Tristan, Cody, Payton, Ryder, Ryley, Creasy-bear, Diva, Darrah, ThumbeLena, Lyla, Chaila, Nadia, Scampers, Scoundrel, Brayden, and Lyric),  3 guinea pigs, a hamster, a chinchilla, a bearded dragon, 2 fish, a toad, a dog, 3 cats, and 10 hermit crabs.

Offline Lise

• Posts Too Much!
  • Animal Crazed
|| Lise ||

The Boy: Simon  The Girls: Arizona | Karma | Pepper | Penelope 

& Always Remembered: Molly, Nora, Tevy, Lucy, Guinness, Seagram, Pixie, Cleopatra, Skye, Bella, Juno, Sasha, Gibson

Offline zoocrew26

• Posts Too Much!
Re: How many ratties can a Martins 690 hold??
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 10:37:54 PM »
Ok, i'm officially stupid lol.  :doh:

Thank you!!  :)
22 rats (Jack, Oreo, Shyloh, Tucker, Remy, Gideon, Tristan, Cody, Payton, Ryder, Ryley, Creasy-bear, Diva, Darrah, ThumbeLena, Lyla, Chaila, Nadia, Scampers, Scoundrel, Brayden, and Lyric),  3 guinea pigs, a hamster, a chinchilla, a bearded dragon, 2 fish, a toad, a dog, 3 cats, and 10 hermit crabs.

Offline MomRushlau

• Posts Too Much!
    • Mainely Rat Rescue, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 06:39:59 AM »
I bought a Martins 690 two months ago for my 4 rats, misreading somehow, thinking it was big enough for 5.  Anyway, since I have two boys and two girls, I thought, well with two small girls, a cage for 3.5 should be perfect.  However, I find it is really cramped with them and all of their stuff in it.

However, I am using a Martins 690 for my foster mothers and babies and it is roomy and perfect.

A tip I learned recently from Paula at MRR.  The Martins 690 is good for 2-3 adult females.  Not for adult males because the ramps are steep and older boys tend to have problems with hind leg degeneration.  So, I am selling my 690 as I have a 695 in the cellar just waiting to be put together!  I always plan to have boys and there is enough space in the 695 for up to 5 rats.  The ramps are also lower and better for older boys and the doors are wider.  I take the litter pan out for my guys every day during their bathroom playtime and I have to take the entire top off to get it out.  This way I can just take it out of the door.  So the 695 will work better for my gang. 

Hope this helps!   :)
Adoption and Foster Care Coordinator
mmrr.robin@gmail.com

Offline baschlais

• Forum Enabler
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 09:55:11 AM »
I have a 690 for two girls (coated wires, with flip top).  They are still not full grown, but it is really a great fit for them and for me.  The footprint of the cage perfectly fit a table I have.  The only drawback so far is that they tend not to use the bottom 1/2 of the cage as much.  I believe Martin's will also sell extra levels (floors), so you can mix it up a bit (consider buying them with the new cage).  Definitely use zip ties and not the metal C ring fasteners they provide.  Much easier to put together and to take apart later.  I think I will try adding some extra levels to mine as some of the vertical space is not being used.  As for the ramps, they can be made less steep by adding levels:
http://www.goosemoose.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,118/forum,rat/topic,34559.0

Naturally, bigger is better (and more fun  ;D), but we also need to let practical considerations guide our decisions!
Brenda (owned by Zuzu, Pan, and Pelli)