Author Topic: Found Parakeet need help  (Read 5632 times)

Offline Licorice@Carmel

Found Parakeet need help
« on: August 11, 2008, 10:33:50 AM »
All right, i never thought i would log on this part of the forums, but yesterday, as we were swimming a very neonish colored parakeet flew into our pool, And kept trying to drink (was thirsty!) and after awhile (there was a storm coming) I caught her and put her in my old rat cage, the only thing we have, and gave it hamster food (we took out the Things that weren't seed, and put water in a locking bowl.  It ate Like a beast yesterday and this morning.  I have some very soft Forest noises going on, i read that silence means there are predators by, and it makes them stressed.  Anything we can do? were trying to find the owner and if we don't by Friday, (payday) we will have to buy a small bird cage.  I'm thinking today we will go get some bird seed and things. need suggestions please ;D

Ps: shes very pretty, yellow top, green bottom.

To make it easier
1.Is this cage acceptable? http://www.petco.com/product/104557/PETCO-Tear-Shaped-Parrot-Habitat.aspx
2. Can she live alone? were stretching it with one as it is.
3.  What things does it need? Mirrors, ladders, ropes?
4.  should i keep a blanket sourounding all but one side all day so shes not so scared? (Remember we found her scared outside).
5. Keep water in a bowl? I have rats so i don't know how to get them water  :puppy_dog_eyes:
6.  Play soft nature sounds through the day?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 10:46:56 PM by Licorice@Carmel »
Pie does not equal 3.14!
I believe the cake is indeed a lie.
Who can resist a piplup?
My rats like the smell of our pool in my hair.
Big believer in Adorable Things.
My rats......Are cute
To much Sig For you? Hmm?
Rawr.  All done.

Offline LiLRATTiES

• i LOVE MY RATTiES
Re: Found Parakeet need help
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 11:15:00 AM »
I would try to get a bird mix with more pellets in it or you can buy parakeet pellets. The keet will most likey not eat it. I feed my keets vita Kraft parakeet. It has pellets in it but mostly a seed diet. I also offer fresh fruit, veggies & hard boil eggs

They are social like rats. So a friend is a MUST..to fix that problem just buy a mirror! It will work great. Toys are great..

For the cage  go at least 18"x18"x18"- an thats the smallest I would house a keet in.

I found my cockatoo outside.. and I was never able to find her owner. She is now a proud family member and at this point i dont think I could give her back!

Loved by: 1 human,16 ratties, 2 dogs, 1 cat, 15 lizards, 8 snakes, 4 birds, & 3 turtles.. I rescued over 50% of these guys.. Wouldnt trade any of them in for the world. I love animals of all kinds..Feather, scales, fur.. its just the outside of an animal in need of help!

Offline Licorice@Carmel

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 11:45:39 AM »
All ready, my mother is looking at a cage, is this one good?
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754297&keepsr=0

We are a bit strapped on cash, an unnexpected visitor eh.  So on friday we can make a cage purchase.
Pie does not equal 3.14!
Who can resist a piplup?
My rats......Are cute
Rawr.  All done.

Offline LiLRATTiES

• i LOVE MY RATTiES
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 11:55:19 AM »
That is size cage.  Yes water in a bowl.
Loved by: 1 human,16 ratties, 2 dogs, 1 cat, 15 lizards, 8 snakes, 4 birds, & 3 turtles.. I rescued over 50% of these guys.. Wouldnt trade any of them in for the world. I love animals of all kinds..Feather, scales, fur.. its just the outside of an animal in need of help!

Offline Licorice@Carmel

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 12:19:36 PM »
All right. Right now shes acting healthy, eating and all...but she's (for obviouse reasons) is really shy.  She gets scared when i come up here to type, but she gets used to it.  Shes again, very pretty in my opinion.  Any suggestions for Candy type names? Like my name (my rats names) and I was thinking maybe Starburst but anyways.
Pie does not equal 3.14!
Who can resist a piplup?
My rats......Are cute
Rawr.  All done.

Offline LiLRATTiES

• i LOVE MY RATTiES
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 01:00:44 PM »
Skittles..keets come in all different colors.
 ;D

Offline Licorice@Carmel

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 01:26:08 PM »
Ah Skittles. It would be to weird.  I had a plush toy i called skittles, so It would just be odd lol.  (brother whispers in ear) WHAT? Mother want's to name it PRINCESS??  :help:
Pie does not equal 3.14!
Who can resist a piplup?
My rats......Are cute
Rawr.  All done.