Author Topic: Help what to feed a 6 inch bunny brought in by cat  (Read 5695 times)

Offline Vibrissa

• Posts Too Much!
Help what to feed a 6 inch bunny brought in by cat
« on: April 25, 2008, 10:07:49 PM »
I am a member of this site--for rats--my sister in Indiana just called and the cat brought in a 6 in bunny--it is night --no place to look for bunny food --can he/she have veggies/fruits ?  what?  I raised a baby bunny a LONG time ago on a bottle and formula from the vets--but this bunny may be able to eat on its own--but they don't know what to give it.  Help!  Then where and what is good REAL bunny food (I am guessing not what the pet stores sell--as in Petsmart and Petco as we don't even get our dog and cat and rat food from there). 

Offline Vibrissa

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Help what to feed a 6 inch bunny brought in by cat
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 10:30:33 PM »
Also, any guesses as to about the age?  Since no one is answering yet, she is going to give it green leaf lettus and some shredded carrot (or try)  we don't know if it can even have that yet--or needs to be on a formula?  Bottle?  from vets?  Kitten formula? 
Hope someone answers.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 12:18:38 PM »
You can use KMR, I believe.  Just don't be surprised if the poor bunny doesn't make it.  Wild bunnies are fragile critters, and the stress of the cat attack could be enough to kill him...

Offline Vibrissa

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 12:31:30 PM »
Okay, thank you.  I'm glad I didn't know that when I raised one from when its little eyes weren't even open.  I just took him to college with me everyday packed away in a little carrier with his bottles and formula lol.

Offline nancycccslp

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Mr.Whisper, Teddy Ratsevelt; my first rat friends
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 03:00:13 PM »
A 6-inch bunny typically doesn't need any help eating.  And no, they don't eat anything you can find at a pet store.  After all, in the wild there isn't any Bunny Chow.  Lots of grass is best.  Are there any puncture wounds from the cat?  If so, the REAL danger is infection.  The bunny needs to be on antibiotics immediately. 
Please contact a licensed wildlife rehabilitator.  Check here for your state to find a rehabber.  http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/contact.htm
If you cannot find a rehabber, start calling vets.  And while you are looking for the best help for him, KEEP HIM QUIET, KEEP HIM DARK, KEEP HIM AWAY FROM ALL PEOPLE, NOISE AND PETS.  Marybelle is absolutely right; the stress of captivity may cause him to die within 48 hours.  I have seen them keel over and die just from a loud human voice. 
Nancy, licensed wildlife rehabilitator who specializes in rabbits.
I miss you and love you Teddy Ratsevelt and Benny.  Thank you for being my heart rats.

It's not the size of the pet in your life, it's the size of the life in your pet

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 07:44:09 PM »
^  She knows what she's talking about.  Listen to her.   :thumbsup2:

Offline Vibrissa

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 09:34:08 PM »
Thank you SO much all of you.  I did get my sister to a PetCo that was supposedly working with a rabbit rescue who got her to a vet who does rabbits who got her to a person who knows rabbits and it was decided that she would wait until dusk tonight and put the bunny back out where they "think" the cat may have found it (at least in that area)--then they are going to keep all their cats indoors this evening all night--and hopefully the mom will find the bunny.  That is what everyone has suggested.  Yes, I don't feed my rats even the supposedly "better" prepared foods--they get natural foods that are good for them all their lives.  No, the bunny had no puncture wounds or wounds of any kind and seemed fine otherwise.  According to all of you and everyone my sister talked to it was best to do what she is doing tonight.  I put the search you gave me (for rehabilitators) in my favorites as we happen upon animals all the time.  Thank you for that and all of your help! :)  I am listening, I promise, as I didn't know and needed you all's expertise ! : )  And my sister and I thank you!  Sherry K.

Offline nancycccslp

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Mr.Whisper, Teddy Ratsevelt; my first rat friends
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 10:19:29 PM »
That should work out fine.  A 6-inch bunny with eyes open and ears up doesn't even need Mommy anymore.  They are self-feeding and Mom has typically moved on.  Put him about where he was found, put him under a bush with grass nearby, and walk away.  Due to bunny stress issues, he has a better shot out in the wild by himself than in any form of captivity. 

Now I have to go feed the three babies I have; too young to be on their own and stolen from their nest by a dog; they have no idea where the nest is; the dog was on over 2 acres of property.  So that's a time that a rehabber gets a legitimate call; we have no choice but to take those bunnies in and raise them.  But YES, we prefer to try to get them back to Mom or out to the wild as often as possible.
I miss you and love you Teddy Ratsevelt and Benny.  Thank you for being my heart rats.

It's not the size of the pet in your life, it's the size of the life in your pet