Author Topic: Lincoln the basset  (Read 3572 times)

Offline A_STEW

• Posts Too Much!
Lincoln the basset
« on: March 18, 2013, 03:51:13 AM »
I don't post much about Lincoln, but he's going to be 1 year old next week so I thought it was time haha. I can't believe my little boy is all grown up, he even finished obedience class today  :puppy_dog_eyes:

2 Months old

2 Months old

5 Months old

7 Months old

11 Months old

Time sure flies!

Offline StarlaBlaze

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Lincoln the basset
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 10:55:27 AM »
He is a cutie :) And he has my Cat's name :)
Isabelle,Ozzy,Mojoe,Spanky,LilyRose,MoJo2, Charlie, Sassy(dogs), Livvie an Ouija (Rats)
Cubby,Luna,MrGrey, Lincoln, Safari, Shadei, Starla, Odyss(cats)  BeBe Girl(Iguana)  Frankie( Bearded dragon)

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 11:35:04 AM »
I just love basset hounds.. a friend has one and he is just the greatest thing ever. They are looking to re-home him due to various reasons (these individuals really shouldn't actually have any pets IMO). I would love to take him in but with Diver being incredibly dominant and their basset beign dominate as well I don't think it would work well.  Plus the Hubby is completely against having another dog at the moment which with Lyric, I can understand.
Love the Creatures. Love the baby. Love the life.

Offline A_STEW

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 01:03:56 AM »
I love this breed, he's the second basset I've owned. My first was with me from the time I was 11 up until this May (12 years).  Lincoln came home in June and he's been amazing. He's everything the breed should be, kind to all animals and people, loyal, snuggly, and low maintenance. He's incredibly submissive, but not shy or anxious, just relaxed. I've never heard him growl or seen him get defensive about anything. I can spend hours a day cuddling him on the couch, or we can go for a hike or to the dog park, he's pretty versatile. I also love that bassets are a big dog (he's almost 70lbs) compressed into a short body, basically the perfect size for me. As I type this he is passed out on the bed with his head on my shoulder.

My one and only complaint is his stubbornness (one downfall of the breed imo). The breeder wanted him to go to an "experienced" home and now I know why. He's incredibly headstrong, but once he decides to do something he is very good with it, like obedience. Getting him to participate at the beginning was a challenge lol, but now he enjoys working for his treat/praise most days. He still gives me that "you've got to be kidding, I'm not doing it" look every now and then.

You wouldn't believe the questions I get though. Most people seem to think he's either a "wiener dog" or a bloodhound.

Offline ZooKeeper83

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Meep
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 08:31:16 PM »
Aw!  He's gorgeous!  I have a huge soft spot for bassets.  My first child is a basset.  Doo has all the same qualities you described with your boy.   He's currently 12 1/2 with slowly declining hips and health, but he'll always be my little pup.  :)
Owned by: Dopey the basset; Lacey the border mix, Stinky, Lila and Happy the kittehs; Diesel the ball python; Rosie the dumeril's boa; Chili the children's python; Angus the bearded; Petri the leopard gecko; Addy the crested gecko

Offline A_STEW

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 10:41:35 PM »
Well, about a year after we got Lincoln we decided that he needed someone to play with when I was at school. He was having a hard time keeping himself entertained and out of trouble lol. The breeder, who is reputable, had a serious issue in one of her litters, 4 pups came out with a major flaw. They have long hair and are therefore nowhere near show quality. I think they're adorable, but you know. So this little girl basically fell into our laps as the breeder was having trouble homing her. So...with no further ado, here's Piper.

3 Months old

5 Months Old

Hair Comparison

True Love

Oh btw, Lincoln is still bad

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 09:58:04 PM »
They are both cuties. The girl sure looks like a girl doggie.  ;D

How on earth does a dog with no legs get on the bathroom counter.  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline Kati33

• Posts Too Much!
  • Howdy!
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 09:02:20 PM »
Alli- you need to post Lincoln's walk picture- it makes the bathroom picture even more impressive!
Kati33
Watusi, Charolais, Orca, Puffin, Sloth and Sifaka the Rats
Some dogs, reptiles and a husband...
Past Rats: Jag, Otter, Wolf, Frog, Bear, Moose, Emu as in Komodo Dragon, Squirrel, Turtle, Elephant, Ox, Opossum, Octopus, Okapi, Cassowary, Goose, Squid, Coati, Flamingo, Zebu, Bo(vine)

Offline A_STEW

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 01:59:00 AM »
He gets tired easy lol, and is stubborn as can be. Apparently a simple walk is too much to handle, but scaling the bathroom sink is just fine.

Offline Kati33

• Posts Too Much!
  • Howdy!
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 08:55:55 PM »
I just LOVE Lincoln! :)
Kati33
Watusi, Charolais, Orca, Puffin, Sloth and Sifaka the Rats
Some dogs, reptiles and a husband...
Past Rats: Jag, Otter, Wolf, Frog, Bear, Moose, Emu as in Komodo Dragon, Squirrel, Turtle, Elephant, Ox, Opossum, Octopus, Okapi, Cassowary, Goose, Squid, Coati, Flamingo, Zebu, Bo(vine)

Offline heidinratties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 04:41:10 PM »
I think I just fell in love with your dogs!  So cute!   :)
3 male rats. 1 male hamster. 2 female cats.  1 boyfriend.

Offline ZooKeeper83

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Meep
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 12:38:07 PM »
Gah!  I love them both!  My basset made it onto our kitchen table once and ended up jumping over a blockage to get into the cat litter boxes - both times he then stood there and barked for help because he couldn't figure out how to get himself back down/out!  We're taking a break from bassets for a bit after my old man leaves us, but I look forward to having a basset pup around the house again someday!
Owned by: Dopey the basset; Lacey the border mix, Stinky, Lila and Happy the kittehs; Diesel the ball python; Rosie the dumeril's boa; Chili the children's python; Angus the bearded; Petri the leopard gecko; Addy the crested gecko

Offline A_STEW

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 01:01:34 AM »
Well I guess it's time to document a little more of life with basset hounds.

As you can see, Piper is fitting in wonderfully. It's like she has always been with us.

Lincoln is thrilled to have his sister/niece/maybe aunt (dog family trees baffle me) home with him.

And she's as beautiful as the day we first met her.

But bad...oh so bad. The theory around town is that she's a basset hound/mountain goat cross.

And we couldn't imagine life without her.

Offline Cortney

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 12:07:16 PM »
Aww, what adorable bassets. I work in a grooming salon, and I recently had one come in that I absolutely fell in love with!

Offline DogsandRats217

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 02:35:54 PM »
They are the cutest bassets I think I have ever seen

Offline wishbone

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 03:53:18 AM »
I love this thread and the photos, Lincoln and Piper are just so sweet and inseparable!
My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet.