Author Topic: naughty rats *broke* their Super Pet mesh wheel!!!  (Read 805 times)

Offline a1issa

naughty rats *broke* their Super Pet mesh wheel!!!
« on: May 10, 2008, 05:52:01 PM »
Seriously, I thought these mesh wheels would last forever.  This morning I went to say hi to the ratties and two innocent little faces poked through the bars... while their mesh wheel sat on the floor of the cage.  I figured they'd gotten in a big fight and knocked the wheel off the axis, but no.

Upon closer inspection I realized that the wheel's socket on one side actually *snapped,* so that the framing bar is in two pieces instead of one.  Thus, it won't attach to the axis.  It could probably be welded back together but then the rotation will be a bit crooked as a result.

I knew my rats were dedicated runners, but I didn't realize they could actually stress the metal to breaking with their vigorous exercise!  Now that's hardcore!
Looking for dwarves!  WI or nearby.

Offline CheesyRatte

• *Squeek!*
Re: naughty rats *broke* their Super Pet mesh wheel!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 05:01:56 PM »
 :yelcutelaugh: That's rats for you. Crazy little animals.  :BlueDumboSmileTongue:

Offline fluffy pluffy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Proud pet nerd.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 06:20:23 PM »
:yelcutelaugh: That's rats for you. Crazy little animals.  :BlueDumboSmileTongue:

I'll say! I had my hamster in her exercise wheel once,she was running around in it on the floor,and it suddenly snapped in half. ::) She wasn't hurt,just startled by the sudden change. :)
((Dragons are magically hidden within words below. o: ))

-->Magic Blue Words<--

Offline a1issa

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 07:31:20 PM »
Yeah, I love how they're momentarily confused, then forget about the incident entirely!

I always wonder what they think happens when things in their cages disappear, then reappear.  I mean, other than, "Oooh, something fresh to pee on!!!" when things reappear. ;)
Looking for dwarves!  WI or nearby.

Offline dream_chaser023

• Rat Tails
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 01:45:28 AM »
I personally would take it as a sign that they want a solid bottom wheel ;3 

At the pet store I work for we have had 2 rats, 1 robo hamster, and 1 dwarf hamster break their legs on mesh wheels.  I personally like the silent spinner, but the comfort wheel is also nice and a lot friendlier on the wallet.

*to anyone else, please don't attack me for being against mesh wheels.  If you want to use them thats fine with me, I am only stating my opinion and my reasoning behind my opinion, I honestly don't want to get a million responses saying "mesh wheels are fine" and "I have never had an animal break a leg on these wheel"  I understand it doesn't happen often, I personally wouldn't want to take a chance. thanks*