Author Topic: 11 year old boxer with corneal erosion any other options for treatment?  (Read 1697 times)

Offline reesesgma

• Posts Too Much!
My oldest boxer has had a few eye problems over the past 3 months. Poor old lady Gretchen has been in and out of the vet for her left eye. They said it was just irritated, but deep don I always felt it was something more. They began treatment of atropine sulfate and tobramycin ophthalmic solution with a sodium chloride ointment. They asked me to keep her on it for one week. I did so, and the problem reoccured within days of taking her off the meds. So I took her back in. They repeated the meds for 2 weeks. I decided to keep her on it a few extra days after the 2 weeks. Her checkup went well, and her eye healed. So now this Tuesday, its her right eye. I noticed her third eyelid covering her eye at all times. I made a vet apt immediately. We went to the vet Wednesday and I told them it was both eyes. I really needed both them checked out. Well when they took her back into the medical room, the vet put dye in her right eye but did not do anything to her left eye. The assistant came back in and showed me her eye and said the vet would be in in a minute to tell me whats going on....So Im sitting there thinking the worst. Her eye was all blueish grey. The WHOLE right eye. He came in and said that the blueish grey area was very small until he put a local on it and rubbed the rest of the old epithelial cells off of it. He says she has a corneal erosion and may need a linear grid keratotomy. He gave me the SAME meds as he gave 2 months ago and said we only have  5% chance of her recovering with meds. I want to know if there is anything else I can do (herbal or diet, or maybe request of the vet) to help this eye heal? I know the surgery is minor, but she is rather old, and it scares me. Any success stories out there?
Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared -Buddha

Offline tsk_n_such

• Posts Too Much!
my then 11 yr old Chow had the surgery last year.  His eye just did not respond at all to meds in spite of long treatment.  The surgery did heal it. He does have a scar, so doesn't see much from that eye, but it's no longer painful.

It was a very short surgery and he did very well
The wee rat girls: Dysentery, Tularemia and Listeria

Offline reesesgma

• Posts Too Much!
thank you so much. I know that this is painful for the poor girl, so I am thinking this is the only treatment. The Dr says he want s her to stay on the meds for the next week, to see if they help out. He did not prescribe any pain meds though....Im just worried about her being in too much pain.
Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared -Buddha