Author Topic: Top rat cages???  (Read 1549 times)

Offline Ratlovingkippy06

• Posts Too Much!
  • Thats alright my rat thinks your groose too:)
    • Rat photos
Top rat cages???
« on: May 30, 2008, 02:17:38 AM »
This is what i think of the top rat cages, i have had a TON and have never been able to LOVE a  cage. But i didn't want to run away with the other thread so i made my own.

Note these are ranked by my own personal experience and not i have or had these cages at one point in time.

1) Ferret Nation

Can hold 10 rats, easy to clean VERY BIG- lol i have a friend who has only 2 rats in the cage, she like me and loves to  give her rats everything :)

2) rat manor

Though i had a bad experience with my first one i am getting a new rat manor, it was a very nice cage, medal bottom and bars and the wire was very tiny so it didn't hurt my babies feet. perfect size for a small group i wouldn't go past 3 but i have heard it can hold 4 but i personally wouldn't. Very easy to clean and a nice size for the price.

3)  SP Exotics cage:

I highly recommend this cage, normally if a customer is getting a rat i always try to get there new babies into this cage because of the amount of space, easy to clean and good price. ( its the best petsmart has to offer.. most people don't have a cage ready to go like they should) I know they would be well cared for in this cage. I have the cage i keep my youngest babies in it and they LOVE it. It can be a pain when the babies pee and eat on the level but a go wipe down every night will get the job done.
over all i think its a good cage.

4) All living things ( red 30 X 18 X 30)

this was a cage i got a long time ago when i only had 3 rats lol.. back in the day..
 I like the cage other than the wire floor it sometimes hard to always have them covered and i was worried about the feet. The paint job could have been better, it gets scratch up really fast and chew marks all over the cage. over all okay cage the new ones are not worth 135 at  petsmart.. i really hate the new design..

5) All living things cages ( blue and purple)

Only good for one rat. I do likes they as temp cages only and shadow lives in one as well.

6)SP my first home rat: Good for temp cages- have used for babies over all okay for one rat

7) Coast cages:  only had for a week

8) tanks and toppers.. don;t use. I only use a 20 long after surgery or for a pregnant females and litters.
R.I.P- Shadow, Apollo, Boo,Meka, Mandy, Remy, Kayla, Mia, Lexi, Sable, Romeo,Winstin, Sam, Missy  Annie,Selene, Leo, Juilet, Zeus Emma,Helen, Oreo, V, Troy, Hope, Beauty.

Offline ScoutGotBig

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Top rat cages???
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 09:32:35 AM »
I'll share mine :)

1 - Coast.

Flat out, for the majority of people - they are good cages.  It's just now, you can't find them.  They are small enough to be moved easily, big enough for 2 rats in the Ritz, the big rat one is harder to move, but holds more.  I've just had them for so long and I've never had an issue with the cage, so I love it.

2 - FN

Too big kind of, may have to modify the cage depending on the rats.  But, hey, super easy to clean, plenty of room for ratties....

3 - SP Exotics

SP cages aren't the easiest to get put together, and the forever issue with peeshelves.  But, it's a good cage, holds rats :)

Anything else for general rats, I won't use.  I don't like the ALT cages, they look flimsy and hard to clean in the store.  I will NOT buy a Rat Manor, I dislike the Petco brand cage as I've had one that broke in 5 weeks, and I've already gotten reports from working with vets that the little Coast knock-offs are having issues with being very easy to break.  The Rat Manor has a different set up, but I still don't trust them as far as I could throw them.
click the eggs please!

Offline mufasa

• My Flickr Pictures
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 10:24:31 AM »
I started with a Super Pet ~ My First Rat Cage.  It works great for babies and I often use it to keep my buddies safe during cleaning.  It's about to be used for my first rescue and quarantine.

Next I purchased a 5 story Coast Cage.  I really liked it at first, but the rungs started coming apart :BlueDumboBigEyes:   My girls also learned how to push out the food dishes.  It's no longer in use!

I ordered 2 Martin cages, and I absolutely love them.  They're awesome, and very easy to clean

I've only discovered my love for rats about 18 months ago.  They were actually purchased for my daughter, but I FELL IN LOVE  :heart:
Boy Ratties~ Possum, Sammie, and Milo
Spiny Mice ~ Mozzarella and Cheddar
Hamster ~ Bear and Krug
Turtle ~ Sheldon
Pug~ Oscar
Flickr Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/23003863@N06/

Offline strangeduck

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 10:43:27 AM »
I've had a gazillion cages and couldn't even begin to remember them all.  I am currently using three different kinds, all purchased within the last year or two and of all the cages I've had so far they are the best, but I still don't believe there is such a thing as a "perfect" rat cage.  I'm hoping the CN will be "the one."

1.)  Ferret Nation.  I love this cage for my big bulky boys.  According the calculator it holds 12, but I have 14 lazy, squishy boys in there with no problems.  I wish it had deeper pans so I could use something besides fleece for bedding.  My girls are fairly neat, but the boys refuse to use a litter box.  I also don't like the bar spacing because I have to wait until babies are big enough to go in.  I love the fully opening doors, and the sheer amount of space for hammocks and hidey houses.  I wish the wire was closer for my boys who like to climb.

2.)  Rat Manor.  I think this is a great cage if you have just 2-3 rats.  I kind of wish the foot print of the cage was a little larger, because an igloo takes up much of the bottom shelf.  The smaller doors make it harder to hang hammocks and place toys and clean, but the wire spacing is perfect to keep ratties in to let them climb.

3.)  Super Pet for Exotics.  I love the foot print of this cage for a handful of rats.  I despise the plastic shelves with the "urine collector canals" and again, the doors are too small.  The fact that the shelves and ramps are plastic could be a big issue if you have chewers, but my bitey boys don't even chew their hammocks.  I guess they're more interested in human flesh than anything.
Owned by 3 dogs, 2 cats, 1 snake and 3 adorable rattie boys!

Offline aumalokai

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 04:31:51 PM »
Of the cages I've owned, there is only one that I really love, and that's my current cage; my Martins R-680.  It's easy to access with the large front door, easy to clean with the flip top, and a good size for two rats.  Also, the two ramps and shelves leave a lot of room for hanging hammocks and decorating.  I love it!

Offline RatAttack59

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Chick Rat Rescue
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 06:32:47 PM »
I love my Martins - we have four different sizes in the house. But I cannot WAIT for the Critter Nation to come out!
Jackson~George~Theo
Simon~Truffle
Romeo~ Othello~Sam
Wilbur~Moe~Captain~Felix
Mini Moe~Maisy~Midge

Missing our babies at the bridge
http://www.ratchickratrescue.com/

Offline Dori

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Me and my best guy!
    • Safe Haven Humane Society
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 11:04:57 AM »
I've had a lot of rats and a lot of rat cages and most of the cages I don't like.
I'll list my favorite cages here that I still use. ;D

FN cage
Martin's RUUD cage
SP My Deluxe Home Giant - http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753350&cp=2767038.2769317
Martin's R695 cage
SP Exotics Cage

Cage I totally hate:  >:(
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753322

Offline Serendipity Rats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 12:30:38 PM »
I've tried a lot of cages in my time, but my absolute favorites are my Martin's cages. There really is not another cage out there that is as secure and easy to clean, and they can be made to your specifications. How can you beat that, really?

Offline hannahchase

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 12:41:55 PM »
I've tried a lot of cages in my time, but my absolute favorites are my Martin's cages. There really is not another cage out there that is as secure and easy to clean, and they can be made to your specifications. How can you beat that, really?

Have you tried the FN cage?

Offline Serendipity Rats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 02:36:41 PM »

Have you tried the FN cage?

No, I have not. But I have been to homes of previous adopters who do keep their rats in FNs, and I've taken a very close look at them - both with rats/accessories and without. The main reason that cage (and many others like it) would not be optimal for me is the bar spacing. I frequently have young rats around, so they would not be able to live in the FN without worries that they would escape. I know there is always the option of covering the cage with hardware cloth, but I really do not see a point in modifying a cage to that extent. That's extra money and a lot of work, plus it takes away from the overall look of the cage - which I know is a big selling point for most who have FN cages.

Now, once they actually have the RN out on the market, I just might have to try one out. Until then, I'll stick with my Martins - none of which need any modification to keep my babies safetly inside. ;)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 02:38:14 PM by Serendipity Rats »

Offline anita1216

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Hanging out with the Fraggle Rat gang...
    • Fraggle Rats
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 09:23:18 AM »
I used SP cages at first and I hated cleaning them, hated the shelves. Overall its not a cage I would use again.

I have a FN and I LOVE this cage. Its easy to clean and there is plenty of room. I dont have an issue with bar spacing, my boys are all 600 grams +. I do agree that it can be an issue with smaller rats and babies. I just use another cage for babies until they hit 350 grams and then in they go.

Offline ratgirl2

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 08:40:45 AM »
I LOVE my Martins cage and would never even consider the FN.  I just can't see spending that kind of money and the having to modify it, which is MORE money.  I seem to always have young rats as well, so I would have to modify it.  Plus the sheer size of it is overwhelming to me.  Also, my boys are not litter trained, so I need a cage with nice deep pans that I can use aspen in.  I don't like to use fleece as a bedding it just smells way to quickly for me. I have tried other store bought cages and the Martin's definitely outranks them all.
[/url]