Author Topic: ACK! Escape from Rat Manor!  (Read 1782 times)

Offline Dela

ACK! Escape from Rat Manor!
« on: May 23, 2008, 12:38:22 PM »
Not sure whether this should be here, or in Rat Tails..

So, last night, I'm laying in bed, reading, listening to the kids play in their cages. When all of a sudden, I get kiss kiss kiss kiss on my hand.. look down ( after jumping 3 feet above the bed) and there's my boy, Roscoe. Now, he is the biggest boy I have, granted they are all under 7 months old, but Roscoe is the oldest and biggest. Needless to say I I checked the cage over thoroughly when I put him back in, and still cant figure out how he did it.  Both doors were closed, and I'm a bit retentive about making sure all the sides are snapped together correctly, as I just integrated the twins in with him and Skrat night before last. I am completely stumped as to how he could have gotten out...and now I'm worried out of my mind about leaving him in there while I'm at work and no one's home as we have other animals in the house ( roommate has three cats, I have two small dogs).
-Del
Roscoe, Skrat
Izzy, Tizzy
Khas'an and Donny
Kuper, Rizzo, and Aidan

Offline JR1030

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
Re: ACK! Escape from Rat Manor!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 12:43:32 PM »
Ack!  That's a mystery.  Keep your door closed!
~Rebecca

Offline OldsGal

• Posts Too Much!
  • You Always Widdle On The One You Love
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 02:20:49 PM »
Are you sure that he didn't escape at some point while you had the doors open and you just didn't see it and then when you closed the doors you assumed he was already back in the cage? 

Otherwise I find that once a rat escapes a cage once they do it again very quickly again afterwords.  So sit quietly with the lights really low in the evening and just watch the cage.  You will find out how he is doing it.

Then let us all know so that those of us who may be buying the rat manor or those that already have can fix our cages.

Staci
Treat everyday like a dog would.  If you can't eat it or chew on it then pee on it and walk away!

Offline ScoutGotBig

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 02:27:33 PM »
Are all the welds intact?  The Petco version of an SP guinea pig cage I had was having welds pop and break within 5 weeks, so I have some concerns on that issue.  If they pop one or two, I bet they could just stroll right out.
click the eggs please!

Offline JustJenna

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 03:04:45 PM »
Wow, yeah, I would love it if you would check out the welds and stuff and let me know what you find.  I have two of these cages and this made me a little concerned! 

Was there a door open when you put him back?  Any chance another pet sprung the little guy?  Geez . . . I'm off to check on my fuzzbutts . . . 

Offline strangeduck

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 07:25:11 PM »
You know, I've though that I latched the door, then realized that the lock thingy that's supposed to be outside of the door, was inside the door, he could have easily escaped that way, but I'm sure you would have noticed the open door.  Huh...that's odd.  If you figure it out, let us know.  I certainly can't risk escapes from my rat manor.  With five cats and two dogs...they certainly wouldn't last long.
Owned by 3 dogs, 2 cats, 1 snake and 3 adorable rattie boys!

Offline RatAttack59

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Chick Rat Rescue
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 09:55:56 PM »
Are you sure that he didn't escape at some point while you had the doors open and you just didn't see it and then when you closed the doors you assumed he was already back in the cage? 

I've had that happen - very briefly.  I a;ways count noses when I'm closing the cage.  Turn your back three seconds...
Jackson~George~Theo
Simon~Truffle
Romeo~ Othello~Sam
Wilbur~Moe~Captain~Felix
Mini Moe~Maisy~Midge

Missing our babies at the bridge
http://www.ratchickratrescue.com/

Offline Dela

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 01:55:02 AM »
OK, well.. got home from work tonight.. and Roscoe is still in his cage. I know he was in the cage last night, because he was the last one I put back, after giving them their treats and goodnight kisses. I always make sure to do a head count, especially since the twins look SO much alike.. I always have to make sure there are two little masked men in the cage, one berkie, and one hoodie.. Roscoe hates being in his cage, so always double and triple checking. I gave Roscoe his yogie through the bars last night along with his goodnight cheek rubs and scritches, watches him and Skrat run their Rattie 500 for a bit, then laid down to read. I'm completely stumped how he got out,  I always make sure that both latches are secure, and when I put him back after catching him out, BOTH doors were closed, and both latches were secure.

I thought about the welds, but I just checked themthe night before when I washed the cage. Bleh.
-Del
Roscoe, Skrat
Izzy, Tizzy
Khas'an and Donny
Kuper, Rizzo, and Aidan

Offline strangeduck

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 04:32:24 AM »
Okay...I just have to say that every time I see the title of this thread it makes me think of the movie Escape From Witch Mountain.  LOL!!!
Owned by 3 dogs, 2 cats, 1 snake and 3 adorable rattie boys!

Offline Dela

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 12:23:56 AM »
lol! Well.. still no other escapes.. guess he just *really* wanted extra goodnight kisses that night.  sigh, spoiled, adorable squishyratman...he steals my  :heart:
-Del
Roscoe, Skrat
Izzy, Tizzy
Khas'an and Donny
Kuper, Rizzo, and Aidan

Offline slimynolegs

• peanut.
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 07:42:05 PM »
Eep. Gotta be careful about those doors too. After our runaround time last night, I was putting my little Pipsqueak back into her home and then suddenly I heard that terrible high-pitched squeal. Apparently she lashed her tail out of the rat manor door right as I was about to close it, and ouch ouch ouch!!! Luckily I wasn't closing it too quickly, but I noticed later something like a little blood blister near the base of her tail. I felt TERRIBLE.  I examined it a bit and she didn't seem to mind and today it's all gone. The skin didn't break or anything. But, ugh. Terrible mommy times! I'm just glad she's alright.  :BlueDumboBigEyes:

Pipsqueak & Peanut & Pickles & Pistachio

Offline JuliesZoo74

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 07:49:58 PM »
I did that last night with my little Marshmallows paw.  I had closed the door all the way too.  Felt awful but she is ok :)

Offline ~*ChaoticSerenity*~

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 08:45:29 PM »
my girls paws are always getting caught...i think they do it on purpose knowing i will take them out and kiss on them and let them play longer to make up for me mashing their toes

Offline JuliesZoo74

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 08:54:43 PM »
Definately LOL! :D :D

Offline GStar

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2008, 09:42:17 AM »
I placate myself by saying 'heads, heads, paws, paws' and watching very closely before finally closing the door although this must be done swiftly to avoid escapes. :)

Offline slimynolegs

• peanut.
    • myspace
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2008, 08:47:35 PM »
I placate myself by saying 'heads, heads, paws, paws' and watching very closely before finally closing the door although this must be done swiftly to avoid escapes. :)

Don't forget tails!!

Last night, I rubbed a little vitamin e oil onto the spot where Pipsqueak's tail got caught on the door. What else would I have expected though.. my little Peanut and Pickles ran right up and started licking it. Twits!

Pipsqueak & Peanut & Pickles & Pistachio

Offline GStar

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 10:04:24 AM »
'Vitamin E oil, yum yum' :P