Author Topic: The double Rat Manor...is no more LoL *new pix*  (Read 2367 times)

Offline ~*ChaoticSerenity*~

• Posts Too Much!
The double Rat Manor...is no more LoL *new pix*
« on: June 04, 2008, 08:02:59 PM »
ok so i started working on attaching two Rat Manors together 4 hours ago and just finished....im not to crazy about it...

my suggestion is in less you want to do this for some unknown reason save your time and self from stress and buy a FN...seriously...i didnt even think it would be that difficult but it was..it was a pain in the butt..and I still have mods I have to do...im debating putting the sides back on and returning the cage and selling my original one and just getting an FN....

(Starr and Lady are in the cube...Kandii is climbing in the little pocket hammock thing..and Lexy is eating by their litter box)

right now all they have is a big cube..hammock shelf...bow rope...pocket hammock and a tube at the bottom
i had to move the middle shelves to the bottom as that was the only way to make is sturdy :( without drilling holes and such..didnt want to do that unless i decide to keep it...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 11:57:31 PM by chaoticserenity »

Offline MiniMuffin

• Posts Too Much!
Re: The double Rat Manor
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 09:30:20 PM »
Do you have closer pictures of how you put them together?

Honestly, since it doesn't have the middle shelves, I'm thinking that there's hardly more floor space then a single one, especially since the shelves are so small. Maybe it would be more sturdy with a level going all the way across the cage? You could just make your own.
Owned by: 3 parrots, 1 dog, and 2 rats!

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 09:33:33 PM »
no as of right now the floor space is about the same as one but im ordering shelves from martins for it and will be taking the cage to a guy i know whos going to make it sturdy for me...right now its all held together with zip ties

Offline strangeduck

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 11:37:48 PM »
Is there any way to just remove the top half of the side panel, like right above where the shelf would go?  Then they could still go back and forth freely, but it would have the sturdiness and you'd keep your middle shelf, because frankly, without the middle shelf, it's just as bad as the SP for exotics in terms of actual floor space.  Keep us posted on what the cage building guy suggests.
Owned by 3 dogs, 2 cats, 1 snake and 3 adorable rattie boys!

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 11:45:38 PM »
i actually went and made some more fleece shelfs to use until I go see the guy....with the shelves i made from fleece the cage calculator says good for 5 rats 6 max...so i figured thatll be ok for 4 little girlys until i can get it situated....still debating on just getting rid of it and getting an FN....because all the reasons i had for going the RM route versus FN has been canceled out...i can modify the FN i believe a lot easier than having to deal with this cage every cleaning day with the mods

and how much ive spent on the two RMs i could have almost bought a FN 142? (the double one)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 11:48:33 PM by chaoticserenity »

Offline Pumpkinseed

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 12:51:42 AM »
I think it looks good.. and unique. but you need to do what you feel is best  :D
Mommy to: 7 Furbabies; Bug, Boo, Banana, Kazoo, Elliot, Simon and Duncan,
and one skin Baby; Little Miss Lily-Bug

Offline Dela

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 02:34:46 AM »
Im so jealous, I went to buy my two extra rat manors this last weekend, and they had raised the price 20.00, from 79.99 to 99.99, when I asked why, all they said was gas prices.. ugh.. so, Im just going to get an FN.
-Del
Roscoe, Skrat
Izzy, Tizzy
Khas'an and Donny
Kuper, Rizzo, and Aidan

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 03:03:48 AM »
cheaper to order online...only problem is their shipping is CRUD!! they dont even put it in a shipping box..they ship it with the box its in at the stores..thats it...it came in horrible shape...and trying to find a store that would exchange without making me pay a difference was hard...i paid $76 for this one...i paid $80 in store for the first one

im considering the FN but fiance says wait for the critter nation to come out and get it...so eh...i have no clue

• Posts Too Much!
Re: The double Rat Manor...is no more LoL *new pix*
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 12:03:20 AM »
So the double RM just isnt working out so I decided to just split the girls into 2 groups of 2...Starr and Kandii in their green and purple RM...and Lexy and Lady in their purple and pink RM..and theyll just stay like that but side by side until i get an FN then theyll all go back together ((they will still have free roam/play time together so they all stay bonded...i paired them with the rat they were bonded the most with))...so heres the new pix...please forgive the tampon boxes lol..only boxes i could find for them to chew on...

Starr and Kandii

Lexy and Lady

« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 01:36:25 AM by chaoticserenity »

Offline Ratty Krazy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 11:37:09 AM »
Don't worry...I'm a female and I have tampon boxes in my cages too..my hubby yells everytime he sees them  :balloon:
My rats think you are gross too!!
<:3)~  <:3)~  <:3)~  <:3)~  <:3)~

Offline RugRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 06:19:52 PM »
haha, love the boxes!

I'd probably go with the FN. The cages look great, but a fn would just be easier.  :wink5:

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 07:27:45 PM »
that it is...but my girls still need a bit of growing to do..i dont want to bother modding if i dont have to...I got them on HT now instead of what I found out was crap so maybe theyll put on some weight and in a couple months these cages will be gone and Ill be ordering my FN....the 141 (the single one) its big enough for 4 girls and maybe a neutered boy right?

Offline Ratty Krazy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 07:31:23 PM »
that it is...but my girls still need a bit of growing to do..i dont want to bother modding if i dont have to...I got them on HT now instead of what I found out was crap so maybe theyll put on some weight and in a couple months these cages will be gone and Ill be ordering my FN....the 141 (the single one) its big enough for 4 girls and maybe a neutered boy right?

Yes I feel it will be big enough for 4 girls and a neutered boy :).  The girls will stay smaller and the FN141 will fit 5-6 ratties so you are good  :thumbsup2:
My rats think you are gross too!!
<:3)~  <:3)~  <:3)~  <:3)~  <:3)~

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 07:45:09 PM »
ok perfect then! I didnt want to get a 142...barely have room for a 141 lol...but when i get a bigger place ill just get an add on...my girls are between the ages of 2 and 3 months...so i figured beef them up a bit give them a couple months to grow and they should be good in a 141

**runs off to look at FN pictures to figure out how to set it up...** i have sooo many hammocks and stuff I made..i might buy the 142 just so I can use them all LOL
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 07:47:24 PM by chaoticserenity »

Offline slimynolegs

• peanut.
    • myspace
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 07:00:37 PM »
Don't worry...I'm a female and I have tampon boxes in my cages too..my hubby yells everytime he sees them  :balloon:

Hahahah YES. My rats' newest favorite place to sleep is a little tampon box. 3 rats all snuggled together- it's adorable. :) :BlueDumboSmile:

Pipsqueak & Peanut & Pickles & Pistachio

Offline RatDude55

• Posts Too Much!
    • blogs ahve titles like this
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2008, 01:15:15 AM »
same with rat tower. this is why i live in a house, not apartments.

i want a big cage, big doors, wide, tall, just not mine
Archie: agouti hooded, satin
Jughead: black hooded, alpha
Patrick: agouti berk, pale tipped tail, koopa troopa of the castle
Buckley: agouti capped, rex
Captain: chesnut berk, tipped tail, rex

Rest well little paws, the Original Bonaparte

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2008, 01:48:54 AM »
well some people dont have the choice between a house or apartment....such as myself...so i must do with what i have

Offline Willard

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2008, 03:26:48 PM »
WHy not just have a small tunnel or rat sized door between the 2 and leave the rest of the walls and levels intact?

Offline tonivan

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2008, 03:47:04 PM »
The double FN does not take up any more floor space than the single.  when we first got the 142 (double) we only had three ratties to put in so we used the top level for storage....loved it!!

I would honestly get the double and use the top for storage for the rat supplies as I bet you have supplpies in a tub or closet or something anyway.  That way you already have the 2nd level when you have more rats or more room.

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »
WHy not just have a small tunnel or rat sized door between the 2 and leave the rest of the walls and levels intact?

i never thought about that....its too much work anyway

The double FN does not take up any more floor space than the single.  when we first got the 142 (double) we only had three ratties to put in so we used the top level for storage....loved it!!
I would honestly get the double and use the top for storage for the rat supplies as I bet you have supplpies in a tub or closet or something anyway.  That way you already have the 2nd level when you have more rats or more room.

Well theres 2 reason for this...with the price of the FN rising I cant afford to pay for a 142 right now without tapping into the vet funds..which i refuse to do..id rather get the 141 and buy the expansion later if i decide to...secondly it might not take up any more floorspace but the apartment i live in has the slanted wall things..i live on the top floor...so it would be to big to put on against the wall...and i have no where else it could go....
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 04:01:03 PM by chaoticserenity »

Offline tonivan

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2008, 11:30:19 PM »
Well that makes sense.