Author Topic: Mesh help  (Read 1132 times)

Offline ~*ChaoticSerenity*~

• Posts Too Much!
Mesh help
« on: June 17, 2008, 11:14:28 PM »
How much mesh would I need for a FN 141?

or a Feisty Ferret?

We checked the girls today in a cage with 1" bars..they slip through the bars so easily

Offline RatAttack59

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Chick Rat Rescue
Re: Mesh help
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 11:29:56 AM »
The stickied FN mod thread up top says she used 5 (2ftx3ft) rolls
Jackson~George~Theo
Simon~Truffle
Romeo~ Othello~Sam
Wilbur~Moe~Captain~Felix
Mini Moe~Maisy~Midge

Missing our babies at the bridge
http://www.ratchickratrescue.com/

Offline JuliesZoo74

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 11:30:59 AM »
I thought the 5 rolls was for a 142. 

Offline jesirose

• Posts Too Much!
  • Me & Felix
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 11:46:14 AM »
I needed 4 rolls of 3x5 for my 142. I didn't do the bottom or top, those parts have 7/8 spacing and my girls hadn't tried to get out their old cage with 7/8 (The FF). I have NO idea how she got the whole thing covered with 5 2x3 rolls unless she used a lot of scraps. I had some leftovers but I wanted only full pieces for mine so I got enough rolls.

Don't get the FF! Get the FN. The 142 is awesome but if you have a weird shaped room ;) or something the 141 works.
-Jesi

Offline Oh!Rats!

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 11:51:49 AM »
I believe it is.  I suppose it also depends if you do a tops and bottoms too.  On my 142s I didn't do bottoms (well very bottom because of the trays).  So that saves.  I think you probably just need 2 rolls if I remember right.  
Queen Of Hearts,Storms in Africa, Smidge, Molly, Ginger, Beatrice, Delilah, Snickerdoodle, Ivy, Maizy, Amelia.

Offline JuliesZoo74

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 11:59:27 AM »
Sorry to post this here but I figured I might get an answer.  I know someone said not to get the FF cage, does anyone know anything about a Marshall Mansion cage?  I could get one for $60.  Just curious if anyone has any info about this cage.  I know I would still have to mesh it but I'm getting impatient for the CN cage.

Offline jesirose

• Posts Too Much!
  • Me & Felix
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 12:02:16 PM »
I believe it is.  I suppose it also depends if you do a tops and bottoms too.  On my 142s I didn't do bottoms (well very bottom because of the trays).  So that saves.  I think you probably just need 2 rolls if I remember right. 
How did you DO That? I planned it out in Visio, and there just aren't enough inches...I don't understand? My brain is failing.

If you use the 2x3, well, the front and back each measure almost 2x3. You need a roll each for each of them. Then the sides are 2x2 so you need two more if you're using 2x3 rolls. That's just for the 141 - for the 142 you'd need twice as much!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 12:03:55 PM by jesirose »
-Jesi

Offline RatAttack59

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Chick Rat Rescue
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 12:54:47 PM »
I thought the 5 rolls was for a 142. 

Yup - it was.  But that's about the size of a FF, isn't it? Although I'd go for the FN (better yet, the CN, if/when it comes out)
Jackson~George~Theo
Simon~Truffle
Romeo~ Othello~Sam
Wilbur~Moe~Captain~Felix
Mini Moe~Maisy~Midge

Offline jesirose

• Posts Too Much!
  • Me & Felix
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 01:15:43 PM »
The FF is actually a lot smaller:

-Jesi

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 01:46:03 PM »
i was actually asking about the FF because i can get one for $50 but i doubt ill get it...but yeah i think i figured out how much mesh im going to need...i think...lol...

Offline jesirose

• Posts Too Much!
  • Me & Felix
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 02:26:39 PM »
i was actually asking about the FF because i can get one for $50 but i doubt ill get it...but yeah i think i figured out how much mesh im going to need...i think...lol...

Don't get the FF is my advice  - here is why, this is quoted from my blog

"For a few months I simply cleaned it by wiping it down and changing the litter, and removing the ramps, balconies and toys and cleaning them. After a while it still smelled so I decided to take it apart and clean each part in the tub. This is when the downfall of the FF began.

The screws are what are called “star” screws, they have a six-sided shape as the hole. The problem with this is that once you have assembled and disassembled and reassembled the cage a few times, the holes strip and turn into circles. Which…cannot be removed. I eventually got it down to just one screw and took it back with all but that one out.

In addition, the second floor sits on a little ledge, which is made by the two side pieces. This ledge is a hidden shelf for urine to collect, and cannot be reached without removing the second floor. It is difficult to reach the back left side because the doors are only on the right, so in order to really clean it, you must take it somewhat apart. There are other small cracks and crevices for urine to collect in that have the same problem."

The FN does not have these problems. You don't have to take it apart because of the way the floors go on, they don't sit on anything.
-Jesi

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 02:31:06 PM »
im aware of all that...thank you

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 05:06:24 PM »
 I didn't read this whole thread all the way through but my eye did catch someone saying how they didn't put mesh on the very bottoms because of the pans.

Please be sure to include mesh underneath eath set of pans. Some of us have had instances in which the rats chewed through the pan and got their heads stuck (and died) because of the bars below the pans. Even if you think your rats won't chew through them (if you have the original plastic bottoms), please install the mesh. The heartache isn't worth the shortcut.

-Melina
-Melina & Crew

Offline RatAttack59

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Chick Rat Rescue
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 01:35:48 PM »
Jesirose THANKYOU for posting the side-by-side.  I knew the FF was smaller than the FN but I didn't realize how MUCH smaller.

Makes some of my decision making easier.  No FF here!
Jackson~George~Theo
Simon~Truffle
Romeo~ Othello~Sam
Wilbur~Moe~Captain~Felix
Mini Moe~Maisy~Midge

Offline jesirose

• Posts Too Much!
  • Me & Felix
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 01:43:42 PM »
Jesirose THANKYOU for posting the side-by-side.  I knew the FF was smaller than the FN but I didn't realize how MUCH smaller.

Makes some of my decision making easier.  No FF here!

No problem! When I was shopping I didn't look at the sizes carefully enough and I assumed these cages were mostly identical. They are NOT. The FN has SO many better features and I had to return my FF after 5 months because I could not even use it. I've only had the FN a short time but already it's shining as the best.

When I put together the FN I was like WOAH it's HUGE! But I love it.
-Jesi