Author Topic: dogs getting sick  (Read 5504 times)

Offline Ratlovingkippy06

• Posts Too Much!
  • Thats alright my rat thinks your groose too:)
    • Rat photos
dogs getting sick
« on: June 27, 2008, 02:23:23 AM »
I am watching my boyfriends dogs for a week. I have done this for the past few years, i have been dating Jeff for 4 years so the dogs know me very well. This year has been different, the Wozniaks left Sat. and since than the dogs have been sick multiple times. Every time i go to bed or come back from work i find throw up somewhere in the house. The first thing seemed normal. Abby ate Grass and stuff from outside and got sick. Annie got into the cats food after i feed them in the basement, got sick. I have since than closed the door so that only the cats can go downstairs ( cat door). But the dogs are still getting sick. I have talk to the owner a number of times and she thinks they are fine but is there anything i can do? It seems that because i am considered a member of the family ( Annie has known me since they brought her home from the shelter) apparently they are getting very upset when i leave now. I just want to the throw up to stop , its starting to make me sick.
R.I.P- Shadow, Apollo, Boo,Meka, Mandy, Remy, Kayla, Mia, Lexi, Sable, Romeo,Winstin, Sam, Missy  Annie,Selene, Leo, Juilet, Zeus Emma,Helen, Oreo, V, Troy, Hope, Beauty.

Offline KoalaLou2

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pure love... adopt a PEW
Re: dogs getting sick
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 04:32:11 PM »
Sometime when a dog gets sick it has trouble "restarting its system."  It may not be anything irritating her stomach, but rather the previous irritations.  Put her on a white rice and chicken diet.  Just make some instant white rice and add some canned chicken (or cook some).  Give her about the same amount as you would her dog food and have her eat only that for a couple days (if it doesn't start to clear up after two days then she needs to see the vet).  No treats or anything else.  She needs a completely bland diet to do the trick.  Thats the only thing I know to do before having to try the vet.  Its worked for us before with a senior dog having  very very bad diarrhea constantly.  Good luck!
Adoring slave to three rats (Edward, Templeton, and Theodore) and three dogs (Holly and Mia the Greyhounds, Cadie the Brittany)

Angels waiting at the bridge.... Wendi, Josie, Petrie, Minski, Teebs, Dribbles, Milo, and Mr Smuckers, who took my heart with him.  Always remembered, always loved

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 09:18:06 PM »
I've read 2 drops of peppermint oil on the tongue works well for vomiting/nausea. Or if they like the taste of peppermint tea you can heat up a cup of that and give it.

Offline KoalaLou2

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pure love... adopt a PEW
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 09:19:52 PM »
Oh I forgot!  Pepto Bismol also works for dogs.  They don't like the taste much so it should be given outside because of the mess.  Just a dose like for a small child.
Adoring slave to three rats (Edward, Templeton, and Theodore) and three dogs (Holly and Mia the Greyhounds, Cadie the Brittany)

Angels waiting at the bridge.... Wendi, Josie, Petrie, Minski, Teebs, Dribbles, Milo, and Mr Smuckers, who took my heart with him.  Always remembered, always loved

Offline Ratlovingkippy06

• Posts Too Much!
  • Thats alright my rat thinks your groose too:)
    • Rat photos
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 11:24:35 PM »
 i know Pepto works. I use to work at  a kennel and so dogs were given that to help settle.
R.I.P- Shadow, Apollo, Boo,Meka, Mandy, Remy, Kayla, Mia, Lexi, Sable, Romeo,Winstin, Sam, Missy  Annie,Selene, Leo, Juilet, Zeus Emma,Helen, Oreo, V, Troy, Hope, Beauty.

Offline fearlessella

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • I have 3 girls!
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 12:05:05 AM »
I think I heard recently Pepto changed its product a little, so something it it does not agree with dogs.  Immodium is what we tell people to use at the vet.  I am sure you are done watching the dogs though.

The Dogs: Macy, Laynee, Roman, Sicili, & Cappy 🐕
The Rats: Astrid,  Imogen,  and Yvaine 🐀
The Cat: Charm, Kitten & foster kittens Mad Hatter & Mad Max!  🐈

So many 4 legged babies are missed.  Alice & Whimsy are the most recent.  ❤

Offline gracegrecia

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 08:38:14 AM »
Give Pepto Bismol every six to eight hours for small dog one half teaspoonful and for a Labrador-sized dog two teaspoonfuls.