Author Topic: Attaching liners  (Read 705 times)

Offline PikachuPatronus

Attaching liners
« on: January 19, 2014, 04:08:37 AM »
Hey!
This may already have a thread so please link me there if there is.

How do you guys who use them, attach your liners to the pans? I have a Savic Royale Suit which is pretty much like a CN or FN but it has built in scatter guards. which would be useful if i used substrate. in any case it means that i've been having trouble finding a way to attach my liners that don't ping off when i drop the pan down into the bottom of the cage. :/ i've been using large paper clips as they lie flat against the edges of the pans but the rats take much enjoyment out of pinging them off.

or do you just make a thick quilted type thing and just lie it in the cage? i've seen both ways and feel like the quilted thing may be good as i have liner divers. haha.

So yes, please share your untold wisdom!  ;D

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
Re: Attaching liners
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 08:07:57 AM »
I make a pad and you can just set it in (but they may pull it up or fold the corners in) or you can clip it with the large binder clips (I use binder clips with a capacity of 1 1/16" and width of 2") as shown in this post: http://ratropolis.blogspot.com/2013/10/liner-instructions-for-critter-nations.html.

Before this, I would make a pillowcase style liner of fleece. I would put towels on the tray for absorbency, then cover the tray with the fleece like putting a pillow in a pillowcase. I made them extra long so that I could fold the open end well under the tray. My current girls are chewers and burrowers, so they destroyed these liners and the towels underneath and I had to change to the pad style.

Offline PikachuPatronus

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 02:15:40 PM »
thank you!
mine pull up the corners anyway and go underneath so it's not a huge concern whether they do that or not. i've actually started fixing the layer with a towel underneath and then putting another loose layer of fleece over the top for them to snuggle under. that way it stops them going underneath and weeing under the towel and onto the pan itself. but its a little annoying, they have so many houses and hammocks but they insist on sleeping under the fleece. haah

Offline Ratilda

• Rittles and Bittles
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 12:27:21 PM »
I use marble / ceramic tiles for the corners of my liners which keeps my chewers from tearing holes in the edges, and it really slows them down.  If given enough days they will still squeeze themselves under the liners.
Rats: Carl, Daryl, Walternate, Peter, Philip, Stan, Butters, Smudge
http://rittlesandbittles.blogspot.com/