Author Topic: messy messy boys  (Read 4499 times)

Offline lovelyg4m3r

• Posts Too Much!
Re: messy messy boys
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2014, 07:13:39 PM »
I guess their small animal is 100% paper
http://www.petco.com/product/106817/Planet-Petco-Small-Animal-Paper-Pellet-Litter.aspx

but their cat litter is 95%
http://www.petco.com/product/114710/Planet-Petco-Paper-Pellet-Cat-Litter.aspx

the cat litter is cheaper, but the 95% makes me uncomfortable...
Yeah I  cant figure out what the other 5% is. Also: Is baking soda good for rats? Both of those contain it but ive no idea
My wonderful son: Vincent Jacob
Rats: Timon, Kuzco, Dante and Taz
My beautiful puppies: Charlie and Danger
RIP: Vergil <3 Mommy Misses You
Always in my heart: Snickers, Tootsie, Coriander, and Little Jimmy,

Offline melcab

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2014, 07:19:57 PM »
I would think as long as it's not floating through the air but somehow included in the pellet it would be ok, but I'll let more experienced people chime in on that one (which is, like, everyone lol)

Offline justjameo

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2014, 07:32:21 PM »
i have no idea about the baking soda either ??? but i would hope its ok. *fingers crossed*
i've read that some people keep baking soda beside the cage so maybe is fine to be in their litter?
Current mama to two silly noodle boys (ferrets), a soon-to-be wife to my best friend & childhood crush, and step-mama to his absolutely amazing son.
======
Previous pet owner experience: cats, dogs, rats, hamsters, various birds, fishies, leopard geckos, & turtles

Offline lovelyg4m3r

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2014, 07:35:57 PM »
While were on the topic of litter... What do you guys think about this, I found some pellet litter made from corn??

heres the info it has on it. Ive never heard of corn based litters. Are they safe?

Chipsi Family is made ​​from natural, unprocessed plant fiber with no additives. A particular pressure process used to form the pellets.
Chipsi Familiy corn pellets are manufactured from carefully selected natural plant fiber from the corncob as carefully processed and compressed. The pellets can be poured and are easy to use.

Chipsi Family corn pellets is compostable with garden waste. The litter decomposes completely biological.
1 liter binds more than 4 liters of water.

Offline lovelyg4m3r

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2014, 07:37:41 PM »
Also what about hemp beddings? 100% hemp, is that okay?

Offline justjameo

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2014, 07:53:18 PM »
is it the same litter you made a post about that you mentioned slightly clumped? if so id stay away.

supposedly corn can get moldy when wet, but i guess that all depends on how often you change your litter. if you dump it daily, id think itd be fine, but im no expert on it since ive never used it. id like to say hemp should be fine, but again, no experience.

im sure more experienced ratty owners will give us their 2 cents :P, but my general rule when looking at litters is: no clumping, no wood, no corn, and low dust. as we've found out recently theres a bit more that plays into that.

you suggested exsquicat, do you not use it though? personally, i want to stick with paper. it seems most common and safest (maybe cheapest too since its just paper). i dont really worry about odor control thhhhaaatt much because 1) i can tolerate it being a little stinky 2) i usually dump their litter every day or two if its looking messy when i take them out to play. i bring a litter box with me during free range time so they have a place to potty, so its easy to dump and fill it anyways.

sorry i wasnt much help :/
Current mama to two silly noodle boys (ferrets), a soon-to-be wife to my best friend & childhood crush, and step-mama to his absolutely amazing son.
======
Previous pet owner experience: cats, dogs, rats, hamsters, various birds, fishies, leopard geckos, & turtles

Offline lovelyg4m3r

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2014, 08:11:09 PM »
is it the same litter you made a post about that you mentioned slightly clumped? if so id stay away.

supposedly corn can get moldy when wet, but i guess that all depends on how often you change your litter. if you dump it daily, id think itd be fine, but im no expert on it since ive never used it. id like to say hemp should be fine, but again, no experience.

im sure more experienced ratty owners will give us their 2 cents :P, but my general rule when looking at litters is: no clumping, no wood, no corn, and low dust. as we've found out recently theres a bit more that plays into that.

you suggested exsquicat, do you not use it though? personally, i want to stick with paper. it seems most common and safest (maybe cheapest too since its just paper). i dont really worry about odor control thhhhaaatt much because 1) i can tolerate it being a little stinky 2) i usually dump their litter every day or two if its looking messy when i take them out to play. i bring a litter box with me during free range time so they have a place to potty, so its easy to dump and fill it anyways.

sorry i wasnt much help :/

Its not the same one I posted about no, and I would kill to use Exquisicat but I don't live in America anymore so I cant get ahold of it. The only paper litter here is Toa-lätt and its made with like 30% pulp. Doesn't state what woods or anything so I'm steering clear of it. Im looking into new litters because I dont know if I trust the stuff I have and its okay because I made a bet with the BF and won 300 kr from him (about 46 USD) and I decided to look into other litters while he owes me ;D

I was honestly surprised I won the bet though, especially since he cheated!

Offline justjameo

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2014, 08:41:34 PM »
well hey, at least you won! its funny to me because when i had extra cash i though "ohh new clothes" and now i think "ohh, new rat stuff!" what can i say, the little things stole my heart  :love5:
======

Offline lovelyg4m3r

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2014, 08:45:53 PM »
well hey, at least you won! its funny to me because when i had extra cash i though "ohh new clothes" and now i think "ohh, new rat stuff!" what can i say, the little things stole my heart  :love5:

lol same here!  And yeah, im glad I won. It was a bet on whether or not he had lost any weight (which I said he had, and its a very good thing he has because the last  few years of his life have been very unhealthy) we were screwing around on the scale one day like a week and a half ago before we ate and i saw his weight, this last time he was supposed to weigh himself before dinner but beat me to the table and ate before stepping on the scale (because he didn't believe me when i said he looked slimmer, so i bet him 300kr that he was slimmer since he was so persistent that he hadn't lost anything) and even when he stepped on the scale after gorging himself on so much food he could barely move  ::) He was still 2 kilos lighter! (about 4.5 lbs) I'm so proud of him :) But needless to say I was right about him dropping some weight and he owes me :P

Offline justjameo

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2014, 09:54:45 PM »
well look at that! it was a bet that benefited you both, and thats always a good thing. so he should pay up, get that litter, and be glad he has a gf that notices his weight loss. congrats to him to getting healthy!
======

Offline lovelyg4m3r

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2014, 09:58:16 PM »
well look at that! it was a bet that benefited you both, and thats always a good thing. so he should pay up, get that litter, and be glad he has a gf that notices his weight loss. congrats to him to getting healthy!

;D Thanks!

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2014, 10:05:36 PM »
Regarding the corn based litter - I haven't used it in a pelleted form, but when I first started with birds, I used corn cob litter in the aviaries. As was mentioned - that stuff got moldy overnight if it was wet. The main problem was from water splashed out of the bird bath - especially in the area under the bird bath bowl. I could imagine that a leaky water bottle could produce the same kind of problem. One of the molds that corn cob can carry spores for is aspergillus. This fungus causes serious respiratory infections in birds when the spores are inhaled (not sure about rats). It is also aspergillus that leads to aflatoxin poisoning when ingested. I quickly got rid of that stuff.

Offline lovelyg4m3r

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2014, 10:07:27 PM »
Well, thats enough to tell me to stay away, even if its supposedly not harmful to rats, im going to stray away from it :P Thanks.. Maybe the hemp then

Offline melcab

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2014, 11:09:26 PM »
Im not sure if this is a good idea or not, but it's something I thought of. I haven't tried it or anything and I think the cleaning process would be different, but what if you put aquarium gravel in your litter box? I haven't priced it either, but I was thinking poops and any pee that might make it in there could possibly be washed off and strained from the gravel and the gravel replaced in the box. It might save money. It's obviously not going to be absorbent, but if they aren't likely to pee in their box anyway then absorbency might not be that necessary. Or you could put towel or something underneath the gravel for absorbancy. AND it comes in loads of colors to match your cage decor  :wink5:   Silly idea?

Offline justjameo

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2014, 11:34:45 PM »
Im not sure if this is a good idea or not, but it's something I thought of. I haven't tried it or anything and I think the cleaning process would be different, but what if you put aquarium gravel in your litter box? I haven't priced it either, but I was thinking poops and any pee that might make it in there could possibly be washed off and strained from the gravel and the gravel replaced in the box. It might save money. It's obviously not going to be absorbent, but if they aren't likely to pee in their box anyway then absorbency might not be that necessary. Or you could put towel or something underneath the gravel for absorbancy. AND it comes in loads of colors to match your cage decor  :wink5:   Silly idea?

I dont know how safe it is for rats, but its a good idea for a litter box, id think. but im not a rat expert :p
======

Offline lovelyg4m3r

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2014, 08:36:15 AM »
It sounds like a cool idea. HONESTLY since im looking at getting the hemp bedding and its really fine and light, i could probably plop some gravel on top of it to hold it down a bit :P

Offline melcab

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2014, 07:55:49 PM »
I have not checked out the idea any further (yet lol) so if you do it make sure to find out how the gravel is colored, cuz I have no idea.

Offline lovelyg4m3r

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2014, 08:33:01 PM »
I have not checked out the idea any further (yet lol) so if you do it make sure to find out how the gravel is colored, cuz I have no idea.

I dunno about that yet but I was looking at some gravel earlier and it was coated in some kind of chemicals or minerals or something. Fertilizing stuff for the water and/or plants in the tank is what i took it as. That doesnt sound safe for the rats to me.

Offline melcab

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2014, 10:51:17 PM »
Some of them have minerals designed to nourish live plants in aquariums and also to support beneficial bacteria in an aquarium. These don't. They are just for pretty. :-)  http://www.purewaterpebbles.com/aquarium-gravel/coated.html

Offline lovelyg4m3r

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2014, 08:22:37 AM »
Some of them have minerals designed to nourish live plants in aquariums and also to support beneficial bacteria in an aquarium. These don't. They are just for pretty. :-)  http://www.purewaterpebbles.com/aquarium-gravel/coated.html

well there ya go :D