Author Topic: Post pics of your superpet cages!  (Read 79811 times)

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
Re: Post pics of your superpet cages!
« Reply #100 on: May 22, 2010, 01:22:01 PM »
Aww that pair is spoiled hehe.  You got a lot going on in your cage which is cool! Tons of hidey spots for the ratties :)  The milk jug hideout was creative.

Offline Jennandjuicetm

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #101 on: May 22, 2010, 08:58:05 PM »
Thanks, I tried to add as many hidey spots as possible to try and get Toby to expand his sleeping territory. It didn't work. He is one stubborn, lazy boy, I tell yah. Having it so filled, though, makes me want to fill it with rattums! Bad GGMR bad!!
RIP:

Offline Lee Viars

« Reply #102 on: May 29, 2010, 01:06:06 AM »
I would like to start by saying I hate my cage and would love to replace it but I can't afford to right now, also I am not very good at decorrating the cage but I did my best. I still have the other 2 shelves that go in it but wanted to try something different. Here it is. Please be kind with the comments. LOL

and one of my girls... Cheyenne is the black hooded and Benji is the Russian blue Berk.

Offline AlwaysAmy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #103 on: June 03, 2010, 08:34:48 PM »
Today was cage cleaning day.   :wave2:  So I thought I would show off the set ups in the boys & girls cages.

The boys are checking out their freshly cleaned & redecoed cage. 

Schmutz in the barn.

The new cage liners are corduroy & cotton, for summer.  Most of the pieces are a mix of polkadots, stripes, plaids & this super cute dragon material I stumbled across on clearance.  It all goes together cause it's all bright & funky.  I love it.  I am so excited to use these new sets!

Here is a close up (kinda) of one of the custom liners I make for my cages.  :)  I am pretty darn proud of them.

Here is a full shot of the ladies running all over their newly remodeled cage.  It's full of new things for them this week so they were super excited!

I found this hot pink milk carton box thing at the thrift store the other day, the little silver shelf was already in it.  I knew that it would be perfect for my cage (& for free range time, which I have been using it for for a couple weeks now, this is the first time in the cage). The ladies love it cause they can crawl through it from every angel & the hanging hammock makes for a fun cuddle spot.  I did have to take one of the shelves out of their cage for this week but I don't think they will mind!

Verve & Moxy exploring the new digs!

You can also see the barn I scored the other day at the Tractor Supply store & one of the many new cubes I made for my ratties this last week. 

Offline tinytippytoes

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #104 on: June 09, 2010, 04:22:25 PM »
WoW great stuff in those cages. Im getting a 4 level next week. I bought it off craigslist for such a great deal. I cant wait to set it up and show off pics of it. See you next week LOL
My rat can brux louder than your rat.

Offline Sookie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2010, 12:13:09 PM »

The babies cage, as of right now.

Offline AlwaysAmy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2010, 01:40:49 PM »
This last week I made the girls several bunker hammocks while I was at work.  I've been crocheting them 'rat poofs' which are these colorful yarn baskets I make for them to snuggle in, that they love, love, love.  But I have enough poofs to get me through a couple months & I was looking for something else to do while I was at work, something to keep my hands busy (I work at a call center).  So I thought I would make them some bunkers out of yarn.  They are stretchy & huge & double as an extra shelf in the cage.  The girls seem to like them.  We will see what the boys think today when I do their cages.

Full view of cage!

Side view before I clipped off the ziptie things.

Winkie taking a peek at the poof & a shot of their chews & one of the upside down baskets!

Argie going from the top of the Cube into the Tube!

Moxy inspecting the quality workmanship of the crochet bunker I made.

Offline RattyTatty87

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #107 on: June 18, 2010, 03:44:35 PM »
Hi, I'm new to taking care of rats and I'm noticing that all the cages have covers over the floors/levels.  I know they can get bumblefoot, and I was wondering what a cheap, effective way was to cover the mesh floors (and have the material stay)?  Thank you.

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2010, 10:49:25 AM »
Hi, I'm new to taking care of rats and I'm noticing that all the cages have covers over the floors/levels.  I know they can get bumblefoot, and I was wondering what a cheap, effective way was to cover the mesh floors (and have the material stay)?  Thank you.
Well, you can either poke holes in the corner of the fabric and run something through it to tie to the cage, or you can use binder clips (black things you get in office supply section.)  If your cage's floor is 1/2inch mesh, however, it runs no risk of your rats breaking/spraining legs in the mesh, and bumblefoot is actually not caused by walking on wire.  There is a genetic component (some rats are more succeptible to getting it), being overweight is a contributing factor, and living on dirty bacteria filled cages can be a factor.

Offline RattyTatty87

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2010, 01:07:25 PM »
Oh, I didn't know that!  Thank you.  I think I am going to put some material there anyway.  They seem to like the old t-shirt I put on the top shelf.   :P

Offline AlwaysAmy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #110 on: June 22, 2010, 12:07:22 AM »
The boys cage from last week.  I was cleaning off my camera & found the pictures I forgot to share.   :doh:

This weeks cage included a newly made dig box full of aspen, shredded paper, that litter stuff made from paper & sprinkled with plain popcorn & wheat noodles!  WEEEEE!  It was fun to dig for treat treasures in that this week! 

Albus enjoying the paper mache balloon that they modified & adored for this entire last week!  The girls tore theirs apart, the boys made theirs into a big bed.  Of course!  haha

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #111 on: June 22, 2010, 12:00:49 PM »
The boys cage from last week.  I was cleaning off my camera & found the pictures I forgot to share.   :doh:

This weeks cage included a newly made dig box full of aspen, shredded paper, that litter stuff made from paper & sprinkled with plain popcorn & wheat noodles!  WEEEEE!  It was fun to dig for treat treasures in that this week! 

Albus enjoying the paper mache balloon that they modified & adored for this entire last week!  The girls tore theirs apart, the boys made theirs into a big bed.  Of course!  haha

:(  Can't see the pictures.  Very cute and fun!

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #112 on: June 24, 2010, 08:37:32 PM »
My super pet this week!!  It is the superpet deluxe my first home multi-floor large.  I have two male neutered MRR fosters in there, Cupid and Apollo.  I finally got around to making some liners so as to not deal with the icky pee rivers :)  I loove this set, although it will probably look better in my CN...

Anyways, here it is.

Offline mccauleywent73005

• Posts Too Much!
    • Fantasticall Frugal Hammocks
« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2010, 09:19:32 PM »
i looooove those liners smesyna!! where is that fabric from?? and do you have more! lol

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2010, 09:25:38 PM »
i looooove those liners smesyna!! where is that fabric from?? and do you have more! lol
Thanks :)  I honestly don't know where it is from, I bought the fabric from Petunia.  There is some of the fabric left, but not much, enough for two, three hammocks tops :(  Sorry.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 09:27:11 PM by smesyna »

Offline tinytippytoes

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #115 on: June 27, 2010, 07:22:10 AM »
I noticed that some of you have liners and some don't. Is that just a preference? Does it really make a difference either way? I actually don't like liners and wipe up everyday. I change there bedding in their hidey holes...etc every 3 days.

Offline AlwaysAmy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2010, 09:51:25 AM »
It's a preference thing.  :)  I make liners because my girls love to lay out on the shelves, this keeps them from laying in their own pee.  Also, cause I like the way it looks.   ::)

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2010, 05:01:31 PM »
I noticed that some of you have liners and some don't. Is that just a preference? Does it really make a difference either way? I actually don't like liners and wipe up everyday. I change there bedding in their hidey holes...etc every 3 days.

Yeah, it is just a preference. Sounds like your cleaning schedule works well for you as is. :)

Offline THScam2009

• Little Dreamers Emporium
« Reply #118 on: June 30, 2010, 01:48:49 AM »
Does anyone have any ideas for a suspended floor? I want to use some kind of springy device that will let the suspended floor wobble and bounce a little when they jump and walk on it. The spring will need to have some kinda plastic or pipe tubing around it to protect the rattie feets. Think they might like it? We should try to make one!

<br>

Offline tinytippytoes

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #119 on: June 30, 2010, 06:59:41 AM »
Does anyone have any ideas for a suspended floor? I want to use some kind of springy device that will let the suspended floor wobble and bounce a little when they jump and walk on it. The spring will need to have some kinda plastic or pipe tubing around it to protect the rattie feets. Think they might like it? We should try to make one!

Its funny you mention that. I bought a roll of non skid carpet padding. I plan on making some sort of level to see if they would like that. Im just a little nervous that they may fall through!! So Im going to put it over their hammocks so they land on something soft. 

Offline tinytippytoes

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #120 on: June 30, 2010, 07:18:36 AM »

Yeah, it is just a preference. Sounds like your cleaning schedule works well for you as is. :)
Yes it does. Also I have the biggest(?) superpet ,the one with 4 levels. It would be hard to fit 8 to 9 liners in every week. Unless someone knows how to make one that would go across. I would be using binder clips so it would be hard for the middle ledge. I hope Im making sense here!  :D

Offline AlwaysAmy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #121 on: July 02, 2010, 12:40:32 PM »
I scored another SP cage for super cheap & made my girls a 'double wide!'  hehe  I bought some vinyl coated wire & made a topper, took off the top 'doors' & made a walk over ledge for the cages.  They love it.  I am thinking of adding a second wheel because I have so many avid wheel runners.  But they are really enjoying the extra space!  :)

Verve eating the chewstick she found!

Dog food treat dispenser that I added to the cage full of their dry kibble food.  They can play with it & get their food out OR there are bowls of food in the cage for them to get their food.  :) 

Offline Robinkwr

• Posts Too Much!
  • They all have my heart...
    • Robin's Hammocks
« Reply #122 on: July 02, 2010, 12:54:08 PM »

I was wondering how those knitted things do for you? My grandma, even though she wont handle my rats, wants to make things for them  :yelcutelaugh:  She wants to knit them some things though. Like tubes and hammocks. I was just worried though that they could get caught up in them, like their feet and legs and might get hurt. But have you ever had any problems? I really like the way they look  :)

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #123 on: July 02, 2010, 01:41:57 PM »
Tell her (grandma) to use little knitting needles so the holes are as small as possible ;)

Offline AlwaysAmy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #124 on: July 02, 2010, 03:42:47 PM »
I make them hammocks, bunkers, 'rat poofs' & tubes out of yarn.  I usually use a small hook (cause my stuff is crocheted, not knitted) & two pieces of yarn to make them double thick.  I don't worry too much about them getting caught.  I've made them crocheted cage items for years & have never had a problem, ever.   I've also been making them & giving them to a friend of mine for her rats & she has never had a problem.

Please keep in mind that if you have chewers your grandma's creations won't survive in the cage long.  Once they start chewing the entire thing will likely come unraveled so they aren't as long lasting as the sewn versions of the items.  My girls chew at least one of the items into pieces each week. That's okay with me though cause I crochet at work (I work at a call center & it keeps my hands busy) so I do it as much for them as for me.  I buy yarn from thrift stores or snag bags of it off freecycle or craigslist for super cheap or free & use it to make them their stuff.  The more I make, the more I experiment & the more stuff I make for them out of yarn.

It works for me & my colony.  Let me know if you give it a try & what you think.  :)