Author Topic: FN ordered!! What if I need it modified?  (Read 1113 times)

Offline 08261984

FN ordered!! What if I need it modified?
« on: July 21, 2008, 08:07:34 PM »
I ordered my FN today, I'm excited!! Right now I have a very small cage that I absolutely hate. Its so hard to put up hammocks and change things, its so smushed. I only have two rats but I think we all will love the FN!

I'm a new owner, but so far I've been making hammocks and buying things for it, I'm sooooo excited!!

*dances in glee!!*
owned by Keenan and Marlee (oh and a human kid, Anthony)

Offline TankGirl9008

• Posts Too Much!
Re: FN ordered!!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 08:26:56 PM »
You should be excited! Of course, be prepared to modify it :doh: I caught one of my girls in my knitting bin after she figured out she could squeeze through the bars! It's an amazing cage, you're lucky you get to have one! CongRATs!
Owned by one cat, Sable 19 years

Offline 08261984

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 08:55:07 PM »
well I have two medium sized boys, so I don't know if it will be such a problem, I'm hoping not since my mom said "it should be perfect for the price" so I think she would be a lil pissed if I tell her it needs to be changed a lil bit. (she bought it for me for my bday next month, lol yay me!!)

I can't wait to get it and decorate it!!

Offline Kritter Mom

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 10:53:10 PM »
Well, it depends on their size. I got mine 5 days ago, and at first, no one got out. But last night, Bella, my oldest and longest (but not heaviest, she weighs 311gs) rat, got out. Repeatadly. Stinker. No one else tries.
Clover,Daisy, Lily and Mama

Offline Licorice@Carmel

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 11:58:11 PM »
Awesome, Your case is almost exactly similiar to mine, exept i order mine 9 days from now  :hyper:
We have a cage with *gulp* 250 square inches, and Were getting the 142  :hyper:  :hyper:  :party:

Good luck with yours, hope it ships fast (don't you hate those 4 days after placing order?)

Your ratties will be lucky little (girls, guys?) :D
Pie does not equal 3.14!
I believe the cake is indeed a lie.
Who can resist a piplup?
My rats like the smell of our pool in my hair.
Big believer in Adorable Things.
My rats......Are cute
To much Sig For you? Hmm?
Rawr.  All done.

Offline 08261984

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 12:20:59 AM »
yeah my mom was like "uhm...does your rats home need to be THAT large?" Said that I should put my kid in it for the price she paid, haha.

I have two little boys, precious ratties.

How many rats do you have?

Offline Heatherama

• Posts Too Much!
  • Empty
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 01:44:56 AM »
Little boys?  You might wanna check out the Modifying a FN thread.  Those little ones will slide right out.   :cheeky:
"...Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned... ~ Tyler"

Offline 08261984

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 02:05:32 AM »
they aren't exactly little, I just call them my little boys. They are fairly big...  :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline 08261984

yes I posted earlier about getting the FN
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 03:46:05 AM »
Just in case I NEED to mod it, How hard is it to mod? Will I need my moms boyfriend to help (hes the handy man, he can do anything, lol) or could I do it myself? I really don't want to mod it, but in case I have too, will it be pricey? I paid 200+ for the FN already, I can't see spending much more on the thing.

Any suggestions will help, such as the wire cloth stuff I keep hearing about, is it expensive? hard to find? I just don't want boys to get out, they aren't small, maybe medium sized, but I surely wouldn't want them to get out, I have a snake (couldn't take them, but I wouldn't want them to meet) and I have a 3  year old who already pesters them and got bit (ow! but he deserved it, lol and no, they have never bit me, just my son can be annoying at times, ha)

I've already made things for the FN, the no-sew trampoline, and some really cute toys, I'll have to show it to ya when I get it, I'm super excited!!

Oh I did some free range time (I have to wait for my son to go to sleep before I can, or he bugs the crap out of the rats) on my bed, and I put a heavy blanket on my bed, and I could TOTALLY tell when they were going to go to the bathroom (pee and poop) but I haven't started litter training since their cage is too small for it, so how do I start it? Do I just bring a lil box with yesterday news on the bed with me?

Thanks you guys! I'm so glad this forum exists, I'd be lost without it!!

Offline werecatrising

• Posts Too Much!

Offline cheerio

• Posts Too Much!
Re: yes I posted earlier about getting the FN
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 10:38:49 AM »
If you have little guys, you'll definitely need to mod the cage. My boys are 3 months and can squeeze out easily, so I need to contain them. I used screen on the outside of my first cage, because it was cheaper, but learned my lesson fast. It looked awful, scratched me, and while my rats didn't touch it, just bugged me. I bought hardware cloth for my FN, the galvanized, as my boys just climb up it so I don't have to worry about urine or anything getting on the sides of the cage because they now use the litter box. I attached is with colorful zip ties, which some get chewed off, but so far they haven't been touched (my fiance and I tightened them down pretty well). I did need help attaching it. My fiance is taller than me, and I needed some help getting the zipties to stay attached on one side while attaching it on the other. I used the measurements provided in the modifying an FN thread. It helped immensley! I was able to measure and cut all my hardware cloth before trying to install it. You can't even tell (other than the bright zipties), that the cage didn't come that way. I installed my hardware cloth on the inside of the cage because I worry that my boys will get stuck in between the bars and hardware cloth. The hardware cloth, I bought the 2x3 ft roll of 25 ft. It was $25 at Home Depot in the fencing section, although every person I talked to there told me they didn't sell hardward cloth. I got it with the 1/2 inch spacing between the squares, looked cleaner to me. I think I paid about $12 for a good pair of nippers (your hands will hurt after while). I attached a pic of my cage, I know it was hard for me to do by myself and took me a little while (a day and a half, most of it by myself) to get it done. If you have any ?s, feel free to pm me. I'd be happy to help any way I can. I finished it this weekend, as I did one section one night and banished my boys to that level, leaving the other level closed off until I could finish it. In terms of the litter box, the box I started out with was too small, so they weren't using it. I paid $5 at petsmart for a ferret sized litter box, and now they basically go just on the bottom of the cage right next to it  :doh: or in it. They taught themselves after I put their strays down there. Good luck and congrats on the new cage. Have fun decorating!  ;D

« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 10:42:41 AM by cheerio »

Offline jesirose

• Posts Too Much!
  • Me & Felix
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 12:24:12 PM »
"I bought the 2x3 ft roll of 25 ft."

???
-Jesi

Offline cheerio

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 02:56:02 PM »
"I bought the 2x3 ft roll of 25 ft."

???

LOL.  :doh: Sorry, a little slow today. I bought the 3"x25 roll and cut it, instead of the 2x3 roll, which costs more to buy that way and doesn't always end up being enough in case of mistakes. Sorry  ::) (It's amazing I was able to put this together, as you can see the extent of my mathmatic and engineering capabilities. I'm lucky I can put a cover back on a crayon box lol)

Offline jesirose

• Posts Too Much!
  • Me & Felix
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 03:14:54 PM »
lol thanks. I bought 4 rolls of 3x5 in order to do mine and I had leftover scraps, but I wanted to use all full pieces on mine. I also didn't do the top so that helped save on rolls. They didn't have a 25 ft roll when I got mine.

Oh and somewhere I made a post that showed the exact roll and labelling to help people find it, it IS in Home Depot, you are right. I went to 3 Home Depots and 2 Lowes and talked to WHO KNOWS how many people before one guessed where it was.

The crazy thing is that it SAYS "Hardware Cloth" and it also says "For Small Animal Cages". The staff looked at me like I was nuts when I asked for Hardware Cloth and said I was working on a pet cage.  :doh: indeed.

Oh - do your doors close well? I put my zipties on the bars instead of the frame because the spacing between the parts is so small.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 03:17:44 PM by jesirose »
-Jesi

Offline cheerio

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 03:15:49 PM »
Just to let you know...just in case lol....Home Depot's fencing dept has the hardware cloth (I bought the galvanized) and wire nippers, as well as zip ties. Just in case you need them. My boys, one got out all over the place, the other didn't even attempt to. I babyproofed one section at a time (while they are by no means babies, I call it that because that's what it will eventually be for, new rattie babies), keeping them in the level that was completed. Took me a little while by myself, but that tutorial on how to mod the 142 was a saving grace. Good luck. Have fun decorating. Make sure to post lots of pics, your little guys will love it  ;D

Offline cheerio

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 06:58:29 PM »
My cage doors are a little tight, but not too bad. We didn't think to use the bars because we were worried about little noses. My guys are really really nosey (no pun intended lol). I do have to press a little harder to shut them, but it's not so bad.

Offline anita1216

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Hanging out with the Fraggle Rat gang...
    • Fraggle Rats
Re: FN ordered!! What if I need it modified?
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 09:53:40 PM »
The rats need to be about 350 grams to not get out. I would imagine a determined rattie might escape even at that but its never been an issue for any of mine. I think they have just been to lazy to bother. :BlueDumboSmileTongue: