Author Topic: new cage - FN or FF?  (Read 883 times)

Offline *CARRIE*

• 2 kids and a menagerie :-)
    • Pics of my rats
new cage - FN or FF?
« on: July 29, 2008, 02:45:11 PM »
OK - I think I need to get a new cage for one set of my girls - it is rusting.  I haven't done tons of research, (It's easier to just ask you guys for opinions!).  It seems like the Fiesty Ferret is like a cheaper version of the Ferret Nation. I'm guessing that the FN will last longer, but the FF is cheaper.  Any other suggestions? I'd love to hear reasons too.

I had a very huge Martin's ferret cage but I donated it to rat rescue.  Now DH is going to kill me..... oh well

What's the deal on wire - must be "powder coated"? 
I am trying to figure out whether I should pay more $ for something that will last longer.  My current cage was $90 and lasted one year.
Carrie

Offline Violet7560

Re: new cage - FN or FF?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 02:52:49 PM »
All I know is that the FN is bigger than the FF, but the FF has a smaller bar spacing than the FN; making it more appealing in that sense. I also know that both doors of the FN open completely, while only one opens on the FF. I just got my FN and it was such a pain to modify it, but it was SO worth it. It's so roomy and a total breeze to clean.
<3 Rachel

Offline JuliesZoo74

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 03:14:49 PM »
I have the FF cage and really like it.  I needed a cage this exact size for the space I put it.  Only one door opens but I am not already spoiled with a FN so it is great for me!  Much easier to hang things and keep clean because of the big doors.  It does have a cover for the middle ramp so it can be made into 2 cages just like the FN cage.  I lined the middle level with tile and it is easy to wipe down.  I got it from Petsmart for $119.99.  They price matched the Drs Foster and Smith sale :)  I've never had the FN cage but would have no problem recommending the FF cage!  I also have a Martins 690 that I like but it is harder to hang things in than the FF cage. ;D

edit :  Oh Yea, the bar spacing!  It is 3/4 of an inch and my 2 girls can not escape.  One of them has been in there since she was 9 weeks old and never got out.  I didn't need to modify and that was a plus!

Offline LOTR_Ratties

• Posts Too Much!
  • Life ends when we become silent about what matters
    • Zoe's Hammie Haven
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 09:45:49 PM »
I have a FF and am happy with it, but like Julie, I have not yet been spoiled with the FN. lol ;D

Offline Yanglicious

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 03:17:28 AM »
I guess FN, since you're paying for it bigger size anyway :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline Distant Vampire

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 11:50:53 PM »
I just switched up from the FF to the FN, I'd definitely just go ahead and get the FN if you have the money for it.

I like having the doors on both sides open, and having the option to hang hammocks beneath the shelves. The shelves on their own are MUCH sturdier than on the FF, and I just like how the general FN was built. It seems a more stable cage so far, but even if you do side with the FF its still a good cage. I'd just say the FN is better :3