Author Topic: Midwest Ferret Playpen Modification  (Read 1279 times)

Offline *CARRIE*

• 2 kids and a menagerie :-)
    • Pics of my rats
Midwest Ferret Playpen Modification
« on: July 29, 2008, 03:13:42 PM »
Has anyone ever modified a Midwest Ferret Playpen for rats?
http://www.petcratesdirect.com/ferret-playpens.html

I have this cage in my basement - we used to have ferrets :-). 
I know the bars are too far apart and I'd need to add a lot of extra levels. 
My rats are female too.
I'd love to see pics if anyone did modify this one.

I think the FN is a HUGE improvement over this cage - it's basically a modified cat cage. The cage kind of stinks for ferrets or rats - though my ferrets slept in their cage much more than my rats do.

Offline holly238

Re: Midwest Ferret Playpen Modification
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 11:01:51 PM »
I have this cage, and I did have add a lot of shelving to it. I got lucky though. I actually have six of the black plastic shelves that are made for the cage and about eight of the ladders. I covered everything in fleece, and I picked up a few more suitable shelves at a thrift store. This is a WAY old pic, and I have much more stuff in it now, but here's my basic set-up:

I really need to take new pics of my layout now....hmmm. *will try to remember that for tomorrow*

And my adult girls can't fit through the bars, and I even have one small girl. If you already have the cage, I'd just try it before I got into major modifications for the bar spacing.
Treat giver to Poppy, Thistle, and Henry

RIP all the ratties I've loved and lost, especially my heart rat, Sniffles

Offline *CARRIE*

• 2 kids and a menagerie :-)
    • Pics of my rats
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 01:26:44 PM »
Thanks! That looks great! I can't wait to see the new pic!  ;)
It just takes up soooo much spaces, but if they can't get out - it's free.  The cage they have now is rusting from urine.

Offline holly238

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 09:01:53 PM »
So you've inspired me to take pictures of my cage in its current state. I actually have it separated into a top and bottom cage because my groups of girls didn't get along. Here's what it looks like now:

I love it, actually. I mean, I sometimes wish it were not completely flush with the ground (and that it were raised, instead, like a FN). But hey....it was free, and it's HUGE! I only have three rats now, but it can easily hold seven or eight.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 09:04:11 PM by holly238 »
Treat giver to Poppy, Thistle, and Henry

RIP all the ratties I've loved and lost, especially my heart rat, Sniffles

Offline MommaMeaghan

• Meaghan's Prints
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 01:49:01 PM »
<Here's hoping you see this post> I have that same Midwest cat cage, we paid a pretty penny for it and its been a huge pain. It only came with 6 shelves and no ramps  :doh: so I've had to try different things (bird ladder, fleece ramp) to try and help my 2 ratties get around in it. I was wondering how you separated the levels? I saw you had something laid across 2 shelves but I can't tell what it is. We are about to adopt 3 approx 1 yr old females and I'd like to put them in the bottom half of the cage possibly.

Gone to the bridge: Clip, Sapphire, and Skylar