Author Topic: What cage is this?  (Read 865 times)

Offline AlwaysAmy

• Posts Too Much!
What cage is this?
« on: June 17, 2010, 01:43:17 PM »
Found this for sale locally.  What cage is it?  How much do you think it's worth?  How many ratties can fit & is the bar spacing small enough for lady rats?

Offline AlwaysAmy

• Posts Too Much!
Re: What cage is this?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 01:57:14 PM »
Also, how many rats would fit comfortable in just one section of the cage?

:wink5:

Offline bit-bit

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm tough as glass and clean as night.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 01:58:43 PM »
That's a Feisty Ferret.  It's smaller than a Ferret Nation and the doors only open on one side, but otherwise it's a similar design.

I don't know a fair value.  Maybe someone else will chime in, or maybe Google can help you now that you have the name.

Also, it has 1" bar spacing, like many ferret cages.  If you have girls or plan on getting young rats at any point, you may need to modify it.  Just something to keep in mind, since it'll add to the cost of the cage.

Offline aquaseafoam

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 02:03:52 PM »
Yes, it's a feisty ferret.  It actually has 5/8" bar spacing and my smallish adult females cannot escape.  I did cover the lower section when they were younger though when they could squeeze through.

New ones cost about $150.  I bought mine used, in good condition for $100.

A FF would hold 6 rats comfortably, so 3 in each level if you split it. You can block off the opening between levels, but not detach them like you could for a FN or CN.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 02:05:38 PM by aquaseafoam »
Dot- beige capped smoothcoat dumbo 8/09
Taj- Pearl merle bershire smoothcoat dumbo ~12/08 I'm over 3 years old!!
Coraline (RIP)- black hooded smoothcoat dumbo 7/09-11/11

Offline AlwaysAmy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 02:04:59 PM »
The cage calculator says 10.  Hmmm.  I was thinking of putting my 5 girls in the top & my 4 boys in the bottom.  But if that's not enough space, then I will just stick with what I have.

Offline bit-bit

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 02:05:58 PM »
Oh, and for the number of rats, it looks like it can hold up to 7. 

I used the measurements here: http://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Feisty-Ferret-Home/dp/B000QFMYWQ (most include the height of the stand, but this has the actual cage height too), and the cage calculator here: http://www.rattycorner.com/odds/calc.shtml

That means that if you split it in two (note that I don't think it does this easily like the FN and CN), you could put up to three rats in each section.

Offline Ollybabee

• Posts Too Much!
  • Follow your honest convictions, and stay strong.
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 02:07:07 PM »
Allpetfurniture has them new for $150 with free shipping.
Owned by three big boys, Everett, Rainey and Cobb.

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 03:48:08 PM »
I had that. Make sure not to include stand dimensions in factoring. I sold mine for $75, and bought a double FN. The FF fits 7 rats, or 3 in each section.

Offline bit-bit

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 09:03:10 AM »
The cage calculator says 10.  Hmmm.  I was thinking of putting my 5 girls in the top & my 4 boys in the bottom.  But if that's not enough space, then I will just stick with what I have.

It's definitely not big enough for nine rats total, unfortunately.  You could do that with a FN or CN, as they can hold up to six rats per section.  However, I'm not personally a fan of putting mixed sexes in any divided cage - I've heard too many stories of a rat slipping through the bars, chewing through the divider, getting put back in the wrong half from playtime, etc.  With five girls, you could end up with 100 babies from one accident.

Offline Wheeljack

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 11:40:21 AM »
I have two of these cages (and can't stand them!),  and there is no way you could fit that many rats in there.
3 maximum each level.  That shelf that comes with it is really not even wide enough for a good sized male, so the floor is pretty much going to be the main living area.  It also only has one door that opens so if you use the included shelves, they have to be on the left side and this really limits your hammock placement and other decorating options.
You can add your own shelves but they can only be so big because you have to be able to get them in through the single door.

The cage itself is very cheaply made compared to FN/CN and Martins (you can hear the latches and panels rattling when the rats run around) and is a nightmare to assemble/disassemble.

I wouldn't take if unless you paid me personally, but if it's used don't go over $50--it's just not worth it.  Save up for a FN/CN or two Martin's 695--I promise you will be much happier.