Author Topic: ?'s about spay suture and area surrounding  (Read 2503 times)

Offline cnr918

• Ritten
?'s about spay suture and area surrounding
« on: August 20, 2008, 03:03:30 AM »
i took my dog to get spayed about a wk ago and i was checking the suture tonight and felt a hard lump right underneath it. is this normal?? also, the area that was shaved has little red bumps on it...what is that?? and should i be worried about it?
i'm taking her to the vet next wk but am restless and want to know what this is. thanks in advance!

Offline KoalaLou2

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pure love... adopt a PEW
Re: ?'s about spay suture and area surrounding
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 11:13:47 AM »
It could be some scar tissue forming around sutures or it could really be nothing.  It should be absolutely fine to wait until next week.  All my fosters get the dissolvable kind so I wait until its fully healed before getting too worried about anything like that.  The red bumps are the hair growing back.  Its just irritation and is probably a bit itchy, but they will grow in and be fine.  If any are ingrown (ie keep growing under the skin and don't find their exit) there will be a large pimple type bump there that you can open and the hair is grow in fine.  Its not as common on dogs as it is on people, but I'm sure some do get ingrown hairs after surgery.
If you are concerned, your vet should see you free of charge.  Follow ups from surgery or other procedures are usually free and all my vets are good about fitting my animals in if I am concerned about how they are doing after a procedure. 
Adoring slave to three rats (Edward, Templeton, and Theodore) and three dogs (Holly and Mia the Greyhounds, Cadie the Brittany)

Angels waiting at the bridge.... Wendi, Josie, Petrie, Minski, Teebs, Dribbles, Milo, and Mr Smuckers, who took my heart with him.  Always remembered, always loved

Offline Kati33

• Posts Too Much!
  • Howdy!
Re: ?'s about spay suture and area surrounding
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 02:01:41 PM »
You may be feeling a knot in the layers below. Spays are generally close in 3 layers- the body wall, the subcutaneous tissue and the skin.

As far as free rechecks- this will vary from vet to vet. Our clinic covers the 2wk recheck visit and suture removal, but any other visits or radiographs or whatever are not covered. If you dog chews it's sutures out and has to come in to get them replaced, you are charged a follow-up exam and a fee for re-suturing. I would definately check with the vet (it may have even said it on the surgery consent form you signed, that is where it is on our paperwork) before assuming any and all rechecks pertaining to surgery are free.
Kati33
Watusi, Charolais, Orca, Puffin, Sloth and Sifaka the Rats
Some dogs, reptiles and a husband...
Past Rats: Jag, Otter, Wolf, Frog, Bear, Moose, Emu as in Komodo Dragon, Squirrel, Turtle, Elephant, Ox, Opossum, Octopus, Okapi, Cassowary, Goose, Squid, Coati, Flamingo, Zebu, Bo(vine)