Author Topic: Transporting your small pet, please visit!  (Read 1188 times)

Offline Cigar

• Posts Too Much!
Transporting your small pet, please visit!
« on: August 22, 2008, 10:05:37 PM »
I'm here to ask the members of Goosemoose what kind of features their ideal travel cage would offer. Speak for your hammies, rats, ferrets, pigs, chinchillas, bunnies, degus, gerbils, and any other small friends you have!

For example:
The peeve: I can't hang any hammocks in them.
The solution: My ideal cage would have a grid or safe ceiling hooks.

Offline Tiffany122

Re: Transporting your small pet, please visit!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 10:28:27 PM »
I built my ideal travel rattie cage, and for somewhere under $30 i think :) It has a (chicken) wire top to fit one hammock, a shelf made from the plastic i cut out to put the grid wire. Plenty of food and a water bottle, a large sleeping area, a play area with a store bought cardboard castle for chewing fun, a fisher price noahs ark boat fot climbing and play fun. And of corse tons of toys (including rattle balls, dog bone, elephant thing, chese climbing thro thingy, and baby toy to hang from the cage :) I love it! :balloon: I would like it bigger but them it wouldn't fit in a car  ::) Lol  :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline RatAttack59

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Chick Rat Rescue
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 10:46:06 PM »
Hmmm, for transport I'm not looking for a huge amount of elbow room.  Bunnies can ride quite nicely in a cat carrier for short distances.  The rats as well, although I generally use a small Martins (I have a couple of other options available).  The times I've transported rats any diistance, nobody has been interested in the hammock carefully included, and I don't want a water bottle draining into the litter with every bump in the road, so I use "water food" instead (usually grapes).  It would be nice to be able to secure a food bowl and hidey hut so they didn't slide around, though, and it needs to have a deep pan to avoid flying litter.  And it needs to be small enough to be buckled into the back seat.

edt for lack of typing skills
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 11:54:07 AM by RatAttack59 »
Jackson~George~Theo
Simon~Truffle
Romeo~ Othello~Sam
Wilbur~Moe~Captain~Felix
Mini Moe~Maisy~Midge

Missing our babies at the bridge
http://www.ratchickratrescue.com/

Offline melikerats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 10:53:41 PM »
i'm pretty excited to use this tiny hamster cage i got for travel. my rats love it!

top floor

bottom

Pets name:Newton
Adopt your own!

Offline Tiffany122

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 11:38:14 PM »
I decided to post pics of the travel cage i made :) (I've never posted pics before so i hope this turns out alright ???)

The overall view:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-8/1320376/Rattravelcage.JPG

The right side zoomed out:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-8/1320376/ratcage5.JPG

The left side zoomed out:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-8/1320376/rattravelcage4.JPG

Pic. of second level:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-8/1320376/ratcage2.JPG

Pic. of under second level:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-8/1320376/ratcage3.JPG

Under the shelf they have a sleeping den (its hard to see in the pic. it's the purple blob on the far right side.)
They also have a cardboard castle, and a fisher price boat and a pretty large hammock :)

Offline silver

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 07:24:09 AM »
This is mine:

I use it for shows, or if I'm going away for the weekend. The big ones for my rats (cage calc says two rats, but if its just for a weekend I'll put up to four in usually, and use one of my giant mouse cages for the other two. It has a mesh front so I can easily see them, a big shelf for them (not in this picture), holes in the roof so I can add a small hammock, its high enough for a wobust wodent wheel and its easy as to clean. I've also make a hole in the back of mine and put a pvc pipe in it, so that if i want I can attach more tubes to it for a maze or to attach to another cage, or just put a cap on it to use just the one. The small one is for my mice. It fits five mice comfortably but I give them a giant homemade tank more than double the size for their permanant home.

Although If i'm just taking one of my rats to the vet when its just one and they're going to be in it for less than an hour I use one of the show boxes I have (larger critter keepers) with a box or sometimes I can smoosh a fooferdome in the bigger ones.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 07:52:55 AM by silver »
Badger, Jasper, Sunny, Emmett, Maze, Rosalie, Nessie & Whisper

RIP Scooter, my heart rat <3

Offline Chaosbadgerling

• Posts Too Much!
  • Currently ratless
    • Aywas
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 07:42:40 AM »
I actually have a 100L roller storage container (has wheels underneath) that I put a few hammocks, tubes, hide boxes, a littler tray, a little plastic shelf with legs (was a 3 tier, one tier is cable tied as a shelf in their cage, one tier with legs is in the travel container, one tier with legs is in my shower).
I also have a tube in their for them to hide in, food bowels, lots of snuggly fleece and some cat balls.  When they go to my PIL when we have inspections at our house, I also put their wheel in- just because I like to know that while they are there overnight they can run on it.

The 'lid' of the container has had a large rectangle cut out and I have added mesh to give some ventilation.  I'm considering getting handy again and cutting some side 'windows' out so that they have more ventilation through.

Very similar to this set up from the dapper rat http://www.dapper.com.au/articles.htm#cage

Offline LastEchoes

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 02:13:19 PM »
I use martins Small Collapsible Carrier (CC-2414) http://martinscages.com/images/full/cc-2414.jpg

Since it collapsible, when not used it takes up very little space. It's not wobbly like other collapsible cages I've had. It's perfect. AND it's big enough to be used as a post op/temporary cage.  And I can put hammocks in it.
My Zoo:
1 Cat
1 Parrot
6 Rats
2 Snakes
1 Scorpion

Offline Serendipity Rats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 11:34:16 AM »
I use Sterilite bins for transport, and they work really well. The one pictured is a 54qt, and the igloo inside is a large one, so it takes up a lot of space. ;)

I have holes drilled in one side for attaching a water bottle and food bowl. I use Water Buddy water bottles (which do not leak and are excellent for car trips!) and locking crocks. With the hardware cloth on top, you can easily hang hammocks in these. ;)

Offline tonivan

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 04:36:55 PM »
i also have a hamster type cage that I use for my hospital cage and travel cage.  I do have other options also but that is the one that I prefer.  We do also have a plastic sterilite container that would hold one or two for transport a very short distance. 

Offline OldsGal

• Posts Too Much!
  • You Always Widdle On The One You Love
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 08:29:45 PM »
Yep I agree my fav transport cages are tote cages.  I have 3 of them.  Then my next fav are cat carriers.  I agree that most of the time during transport the rats are to stressed to use a hammock and hide in the hidey home I give them so hammocks really aren't necessary.  I also don't keep a water bottle on the cage when driving.  I just offer a bottle to them when stopped. 

Staci
Treat everyday like a dog would.  If you can't eat it or chew on it then pee on it and walk away!