Author Topic: Rabbit paralyzed on one side  (Read 5981 times)

Offline JuliesZoo74

• Posts Too Much!
Rabbit paralyzed on one side
« on: June 28, 2008, 08:49:03 PM »
Hi!  I just took in a rabbit just for a week until a new home for her is back from their vacation.  The person that gave her to me failed to tell me that she is paralyzed on her right side.  She said one of her rear legs kinda hangs out to the side but she got her at 4 weeks old and she has always been that way.  The more I have watched her, her right ear is flopped and her left isn't (she is a Holland Lop so that didn't faze me at first)  and she doesn't use her front paws for anything really either so I finally noticed that her right front leg is pretty much useless too.  She does put weight on them but I don't think she could really move them.  Ok now to the question.  I want to give the new person as much info on the best way to care for her.  I have her in a 1 level xtra large marchioro cage right now with a 4ft x 4ft play pen that she comes out into to hang out.  I figure she can't have any other levels right?  She can't pick things up with her front paws.  She obviously can't groom herself well either.  Sorry I am rambling but I just feel like I need some information or talk to someone who has had this before.  I feel bad because when she got here, she only had a cage with food and water.  No house, toys anything.  I put in a house and a couple toys and am doing my best to take good care of her.  She is very sweet and loves to be held and any attention she can get.  Probably the sweetest bunny I've ever been around.  I would keep her if I could. :)

Offline Popcorn

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Rabbit paralyzed on one side
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 09:05:45 PM »
Oh, that's so sad!  How old is the bunny now?  It sounds like you are doing all you can, good for you!  Maybe you could pick up a package of pet wipes to help keep her clean and groomed but I would think that a damp cloth would serve just as well.

Years ago I had a guinea pig who's hind end was paralysed to she could only pull herself around with her front paws.  She never seemed to be in pain, she purred, whistled, loved food and attention just like any other guinea pig.  I found the most important thing to do was to keep her cage extra clean and one level only.

When her owner comes home I hope she continues with the special care and attention you are showing this little bunny girl.  Maybe you could convince her to have a vet take a look.

Mumsy's Rat Rescue - Rescue, Foster and Adoption
Serving Barrie, South Simcoe and the Greater Toronto Area.  RatLady@gmail.com

Offline JuliesZoo74

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 09:16:03 PM »
I figure she has always been this way since they said they noticed her front leg at 4 weeks old.  She is just so loveable.  I've cleaned her cage 2 times this week.  I don't think the other girl took very good care of her but obviously that didn't make her not friendly.  She lets you hold her and flip her onto her back and everything.  I haven't cleaned her at all with a cloth or anything but I did notice today that she is a little messy from sitting in the shavings, I'll have to clean her up a little tonight.  I'll explain everything I can think of to the girl taking her.  I may even let her take my playpen for her so I know she gets some out of her cage time.  My husband made it from sheets of hardboard.  I'll have him make another for my rats LOL!  I'll suggest taking her to a vet and see what they think.  I really can't see the vet can do anything different for her though.  The person she came from said she was the only 1 out of 5 to survive as a baby.  The other 4 were still born.  Maybe she was stuck or something and was born this way?  Just a thought I guess.  Well, I know she is a love and if the new owner can't love her than maybe I'll just have to keep her here. :)

Offline Popcorn

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 09:24:53 PM »
That could very well be a birth injury.  It sound like getting you for a babysitter is going to be a lucky turn for that bunny!   :wink5: 
Mumsy's Rat Rescue - Rescue, Foster and Adoption
Serving Barrie, South Simcoe and the Greater Toronto Area.  RatLady@gmail.com

Offline JuliesZoo74

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 10:00:27 PM »
Oh yeah.  I forgot, she is just under 1 year old.  She was born in August last summer.

Offline Rose

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rodentia Dementia!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 03:04:17 AM »
The actress Kirstie Alley had a rabbit, Strawberry I think his name was, that was paraplegic or had some similar condition.  She kept him on soft stuff in a little kiddie pool in her bedroom.  It was so touching.

I've seen a video (or maybe it was a manual?)  being sold on how to care for a special needs bun.  I saw it at For Other Living Things pet store in Sunnyvale, CA.   I don't see it for sale on their website, but you could probably e-mail them and ask where you could get it.  Sorry I can't be more specific but it's been awhile.

http://www.forotherlivingthings.com

There is also a DVD on Planning Your Bunny's Assisted Living available at https://www.bunnyrabbit.com/brcom.html.  Look in the "videos" section.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 03:08:09 AM by Rose »
Beware of SARS-Suddenly Acquired Rat Syndrome