Author Topic: Problems with Scoopable Feline Pine  (Read 1891 times)

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
Problems with Scoopable Feline Pine
« on: September 17, 2008, 04:17:44 PM »
Today Trevor was acting strange- hunched back, wouldn't sit down normally, crying and screaming in pain, would not let any of the cats get near him, wouldn't let me pick him up, frequent squatting- all normal symptoms of the start of a UTI which he's had ever since he got the surgery to prevent him from blocking. I called the vet and while I was on the phone he pooped on the rug. When I got off the phone I went over to pick up the poo and found it was abnormally hard.. like a rock. I was able to crumble it but it had odd light flecks in it. I didn't think anything of it but when his symptoms completely stopped, I got suspicious. I bought a box of Feline Pine scoopable for the cat downstairs to try it out and she's done fairly well with it. When the scoopable clay ran out up here I put the pine in one of the boxes so they wouldn't be down to one box between the 3 of them. I noticed after Waverli got out one day she had this pine dust and small pieces ALL over her paws. I thought it would fall off quickly. Apparently it doesn't. Trevor must have ingested the litter (over the course of a few days as there's not been as much poop in the box as there normally is) while cleaning himself after using his box and it dried out his stool so bad that he became constipated. I'm not sure if anyone has experienced this before but if your cat starts exhibiting UTI type symptoms and you have them on this litter, please investigate further before putting them on a round of antibiotics. It could be from ingesting the pine particles. Needless to say I'm not buying this ever again. It's not worth it to buy a biodegradable litter and have your cat screaming in pain.