Author Topic: Gah! What Martin's?  (Read 938 times)

Offline `jennifer

• Ollivander && Onyxx
Gah! What Martin's?
« on: September 18, 2008, 08:14:16 PM »
So, I'm trying to decide between the R-695 and R-690.
I only want 2-3 rats; but I want a larger cage.
I have a good amount of space, but I don't want to spend $200 on a cage  ;P

What do you think?
Any past experiences?
;D

Offline Lise

• Posts Too Much!
  • Animal Crazed
Re: Gah! What Martin's?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 08:19:44 PM »
The 695 has a much bigger footprint, and overall is a nicer cage IMO.

Personally I would even get the 680 with the bigger floor space, before I would get the 690.
|| Lise ||

The Boy: Simon  The Girls: Arizona | Karma | Pepper | Penelope 

& Always Remembered: Molly, Nora, Tevy, Lucy, Guinness, Seagram, Pixie, Cleopatra, Skye, Bella, Juno, Sasha, Gibson

Offline Serendipity Rats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 09:35:35 PM »
I adore the R695, and would recommend either that model or the R680, as Lise suggested.  :thumbsup2:

The R690 is a decent cage, but the ramps are quite steep, and as rats get older they tend to have problems getting up and down.

Offline Suebee

• Honourary Canadian!
  • Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rimmer: 7/26/99 - 08/31/02
    • ratsrule.com
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 09:00:38 AM »
I agree. The 695 is a much better design compared to the 690.

I have a 680, as well, which has the same footprint as the 695, it's just shorter. I also recommend this cage... I have kept up to four males in this cage with no problems. My original plan was to keep them in the 680 as babies, and move them up to the 695 when they grew up, but I haven't needed to yet! LOL!

Offline Chevalrose

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 09:38:09 AM »
I've had both and prefer the R-695 just because it's bigger. BUT!:

- The R-690 was easier to bring into my bathroom and clean in the tub.
- The R-690 does have steep ramps, but I cut them off and used bird ladders anyways.
- The R-690 is cheaper if 3 rats is going to be your max.

Males or females BTW? If it were males, I would say go for the R-695 for the extra room. There would be less reason to fight that way. I only had 2 males in my R-690 and they got along really well, only a couple skirmishes.

Either one you get, use the zip ties rather than those metal C-clamps they give you, easier to put together and easier to take apart if needed.

Also make sure you get powder coated.
RIP Gus, Clooney, Tobi, Onyx, Oliver, Romeo <3

Offline rawralphadawg

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 11:47:37 AM »
What about the 685? I was looking at that one over the 680 because of the full second floor. And there's a landing to avoid steep ramps.

Offline `jennifer

• Ollivander && Onyxx
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 03:27:23 PM »
Then the 695 it is!

I'm getting males, and yes, I accounted on power-coated  :BlueDumboSmile:

...possibly get the 680 sometime for a travel cage? Even though I NEVER travel, lol.
;D

Offline javakittie

• Posts Too Much!
    • KatsRatMats.etsy.com
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 10:14:45 PM »
680, all the way. I've kept 3 females in a 680 with absolutely no problems. Also, the 680 has a huge door, which is *fantastic*! You can reach in easily to put hammocks/toys in, and 12" wheels fit through it. You can't do that with a 695, and you really would want the flip top option, IMO.

Offline gesticulator

• Posts Too Much!
  • Terri Claire
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 10:24:58 PM »
I have had my three boys in a 690, and its been fine. They hardly use the bottom floor at all. I chose it because of the smaller footprint. The ramps could be modified if need be, but my monkeys don't bother with them. They prefer the walls. Since I added a fourth male, and am likely to get more, I just ordered a Ferret Nation. Of course they moved out of my daughters room and into the den. :BlueDumboSmileTongue:
*Flash*Panda*Dotty*Mushroom*Nanuk*

Offline Blackthorn

• Posts Too Much!
    • Central Texas Rat Rescue
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 11:45:09 PM »
680, all the way. I've kept 3 females in a 680 with absolutely no problems. Also, the 680 has a huge door, which is *fantastic*! You can reach in easily to put hammocks/toys in, and 12" wheels fit through it. You can't do that with a 695, and you really would want the flip top option, IMO.

The 695 now comes with larger doors and a slightly different "layout" - it's MUCH better than the old style.  I used to really dislike my old 695, but since I bought a new front for it with the large doors and changed around the ramps/midfloor, it's much better and easier to clean/decorate.  For only 2-3 rats, though, I'd probably get the 680, but for any more than 3 (or if the 3 are very active), I'd go with the 695.  The 690 is really only a good cage for babies, imo (due to steep ramps and lack of depth).

Offline javakittie

• Posts Too Much!
    • KatsRatMats.etsy.com
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 07:37:34 AM »
I knew they had changed the layout and made the door bigger, but someone told me the doors still weren't as big as the 680..? Larger, for sure, but not 12" wheel worthy. If I'm incorrect, I still stand by the 680. It's my favorite cage.

Offline Serendipity Rats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 12:21:20 PM »
I knew they had changed the layout and made the door bigger, but someone told me the doors still weren't as big as the 680..? Larger, for sure, but not 12" wheel worthy.

I have two of the new version R695s and the doors are much bigger than they used to be! The openings are about 13x14 inches, and I easily fit my Wobust Wodent Wheels through the doors.  I can also reach every corner of the cage easily. :thumbsup2:

Offline javakittie

• Posts Too Much!
    • KatsRatMats.etsy.com
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 12:27:14 PM »
I'm still in favor of the 680.. I can't think of a better cage. They even stack well..  ;D