Author Topic: Grotto Version 2.0!! **Construction has begun...AGAIN!**  (Read 13807 times)

Offline JTO_

• Posts Too Much!
  • Got rats?
Grotto Version 2.0!! **Construction has begun...AGAIN!**
« on: September 22, 2008, 06:37:05 PM »
Well, now that I have had my grotto for a few months, I realize that I made a few mistakes.
1.  The dresser I picked out was not square, so all my measurements for shelves, didn't fit.
2.  The layout I made is very awkward to hang stuff.
3.  My cage can only hold four, so that means no room for future rats!
So I thought this up.
Another grotto cage that is 6' wide, 4' high, and 2' deep.
This one will not have wire on back, it will have a wall, which I want to make out of plywood that would be kilzed coated.  But are any plywoods unsafe?  Such as oak.
It would have four shelves, and two full floors.  And here is my crappy MSPAINT version of my thoughts.
The colors, show what colors I will *hopefully* use for the themes around these toys.

(dont mind the 'treehouse you have' part, the pic was originally a message for someone here on GM who has the same treehouse)
Here are the toys I am talking about:
Castle

Dragon

Barn

Weeble Wobble treehouse

Other treehouse

The army thing is just a plastic hill with tunnels inside it.
So what do you think?
I have made one before so I know how to seal.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 05:29:40 PM by JTO »

Offline LoveBurmese

• Hummingbird Ridge
Re: Grotto Version 2.0!!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 09:13:19 PM »
Being new to owning a grotto but a longtime fan of them, I think it sounds great.  One thing I've learned by looking at the grotto I traded to Anesthesia [her grotto for my FN]... make it from scratch.  Although using a dresser etc might seem easier, I feel that making it some scratch gives you more control over exactly what you're getting. 
Good luck, I think you'll do fine! :)

Offline JuliesZoo74

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 09:15:04 PM »
Ok, now I'm jealous again :yelcutelaugh:  I want the castle :BlueDumboSmileTongue:

Offline JTO_

• Posts Too Much!
  • Got rats?
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 09:42:15 PM »
GO TO GOODWILL, seriously, Julz all this is from Goodwill.  I guess its where I live, cause every time I go, there are baby toys, and lots of fleece blankets.  BUT, I do want your mushroom.  :BlueDumboBigEyes:

Ladybuglillies-This one I am making from scratch, my first one was from a dresser, and it was not even.  :thumbsup2:

Offline JuliesZoo74

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 09:47:07 PM »
I'm at the Goodwill store all the time.  It is right next to the grocery store near me.  They never have anything good :-\  Oh Well.  The Mushroom is cute but it is really sun faded. 

I love your idea for the cage!  That will be awesome. :thumbsup2:

Offline JTO_

• Posts Too Much!
  • Got rats?
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 09:50:53 PM »
I hope!  Too bad I havent even run it past my parents.  :P
I dont think it will be too much.
Better start cleaning house!

Offline JTO_

• Posts Too Much!
  • Got rats?
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 05:42:12 PM »
I just realized a problem, I dont think I have ever seen a fleece blanket 6 feet long!  :P

Offline calicojenn

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pray without ceasing, rejoyce in ALL things.
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 01:17:47 AM »
6 feet would just be 2 yards, you can always just buy some fleece material from the store and cut it to size, then you would have more say as far as patterns and the like!

Offline JTO_

• Posts Too Much!
  • Got rats?
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 07:10:37 AM »
true, thanks Jenn!!  I am just used to getting liners from goodwill  :doh:

Offline LoveBurmese

• Hummingbird Ridge
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 08:58:42 PM »
Hey Johnny,

Question for you .. or anyone who has made their own grotto.  My grotto made by Anesthesia has shelf paper covering the exposed wood, like the edges of the melamine where it is pressed board?  I have shelf paper over the edges right now but the darn kidz keep peeling it off and I have to put replacement paper on every couple days.  You mentioned coating with Kilz - like the primer??  Does it keep it from absorbing the pee???

Please help!

Offline JTO_

• Posts Too Much!
  • Got rats?
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 09:04:45 PM »
It does, but make sure you use water based kilz, and to make it harder for them to chew it I wrap it around the shelf so at least one of the edges is underneath and out of reach, is that confusing?  :-\

Offline LoveBurmese

• Hummingbird Ridge
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 09:09:18 PM »
"to make IT harder for them to chew"  What's it??  The shelf paper?  I wrap it from the top around the edge and underneath.  But the lil turkeys still peel it off.  I was just reading on a site linked in the stickie on this thread and it mentioned white electrical tape.  Would that work??  I guess I'm off to Ace tomorrow to get some Kilz to work on these edges.

Offline JTO_

• Posts Too Much!
  • Got rats?
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 09:15:59 PM »
It is just the act of them ripping the shelf paper up
Do the liners cover these edges

Offline LoveBurmese

• Hummingbird Ridge
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 09:28:38 PM »
Yea they rip off the shelf paper that covers the pressed board edges [top and bottom parts are melamine.  The liners cover the tops but I don't have liners that tuck around all the edges. 

Offline JTO_

• Posts Too Much!
  • Got rats?
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 09:30:48 PM »
Well when you start making your own liners when Anesthesia's wear out make them flap out a bit, that is what I do and it works very well.

Offline LoveBurmese

• Hummingbird Ridge
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 09:56:48 PM »
I've made a couple sets of liners so far but it's hard to cover all the edges --- here are a couple pics

Okay hang on I think you are talking about fleece liners and I'm talking about stickyback shelf paper liners to cover the raw edges of pressed board. 

It's those inside edges that they are peeling the shelf paper liners off of.  I keep cutting more and sticking it on there - it's the self stick kind but they yank back the fleece and rip off the shelf paper liners anyhow.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 10:18:15 PM by ladybuglilies »

Offline JTO_

• Posts Too Much!
  • Got rats?
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 10:15:11 PM »
Your rats are BAD!  :P  Yup, I cover my shelves with fleece and hold them down with the biggest binder clips they make.  You use velcro right?

Offline LoveBurmese

• Hummingbird Ridge
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 10:23:43 PM »
No not all my ratties are bad  :o Just those BOYS! Baaad bad boys!  :doh:  My two girls are lil princesses and would never do something like tear off shelfpaper {knocks on wood that it doesnt change}

If you look at the first pic, the little shelf with the yellow piece of liner on it - the front and side edges are covered with stickback shelf paper to cover the raw pressed board edges of the melamine.  THAT is what the lil bratties are tearing off! 

Well I just finished stripping down the bottom part, cleaning the heck out of it, caulking the crevices and primering the raw edges.  Forgot I already had some primer.  I'm just doing it a level at a time [3 levels total] so I dont lose my mind, lol.

Offline JTO_

• Posts Too Much!
  • Got rats?
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2008, 10:25:30 PM »
I have girls too, and they dont chew either.  YAY

Offline JTO_

• Posts Too Much!
  • Got rats?
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2008, 04:46:17 PM »
The cage calculator say 24 rats  :o  If I do get more I will stop at five.  So they will have LOTS of room  :cheeky:

Offline JTO_

• Posts Too Much!
  • Got rats?
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2008, 05:05:51 PM »
AND, I was thinking with the extra mesh I could make a playpen on top, since the shelf on bottom would be for storage!!!  :D *Drools*
Now if I would tell my parents. ::)

Offline LoveBurmese

• Hummingbird Ridge
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2008, 05:39:40 PM »
 :headbang:  Seriously Johnny, if you make that thing save your blueprints!  You can sell them to all of us that will be drooling over your new grotto!  :cheeky:

Keep up informed!

Oh and my grotto mods have been going great! Caulking all the corners to stop pee leakage - man those boys can pee!  And primering all the raw edges so I can stop having to replace the stick paper when the brats rip it off.  *crosses fingers* So far so good!

Offline JTO_

• Posts Too Much!
  • Got rats?
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2008, 05:41:32 PM »
Great!  I am sure my plans will change as I go.  But I really want to keep it close. 

Offline JTO_

• Posts Too Much!
  • Got rats?
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2008, 02:19:41 PM »
OR I could even make a trap door and have both a wire and grotto cage connected to each other.  Brainstorming is fun!

Offline JTO_

• Posts Too Much!
  • Got rats?
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2008, 05:03:37 PM »
I told my idea to my dad, and he gave me a look that said, "did we not just get done making one?"  So I will ask for a giftcard to homedepot for christmas