Author Topic: Martins pics! Everybody post your Martins here!  (Read 591892 times)

Offline PnutLuv

• Posts Too Much!
    • SnoozieCubes
Re: Martins pics! Everybody post your Martins here!
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2008, 08:06:52 PM »
I have major cage envy going on!!

I want a new cage so badly. I have a used superpet ferret that I like a lot other than that the doors are small, and the wire mesh (bar spacing too big) makes it a pain to hang stuff.
I wanted to see the new CN, but the more I think about it, I REALLY don't want to spend more than $200 if I can avoid it, and it sounds like it's going to be more than the FN (which I won't get because I don't want to spend that kind of $$ and then have to modify it).

So that leaves me with a Martins. I REALLY wish they sold in stores so I could see the sizes in person. Does the 695 really hold 5 comfortably? The 699 just looks so, well, HUGE! Or maybe one of the ferret cages?

Post more pics people, and tell us what model it is and how many rats you have in it!

Offline M&Msisters

« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2008, 08:10:07 PM »
Weaver where did you get that pinky carpet for the middle level so cute ;D

Tasia
My petting zoo
2.00 rats 2.00 teddy bear hamsters 2.00 dwarf hamsters 1.00 cat
1.00 horse

Offline WEAVER

• Posts Too Much!
    • The Cozy Cavy
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2008, 09:34:15 PM »
So that leaves me with a Martins. I REALLY wish they sold in stores so I could see the sizes in person. Does the 695 really hold 5 comfortably? The 699 just looks so, well, HUGE! Or maybe one of the ferret cages?

I have the R695 and it could easily hold five ratties.  I currently have three and they mainly live in the top half of the cage.  For them at times it seems too big.  I had looked around on this forum for many months before adopting my girls and settling on what cage I was going to get to house them in.  I kept going back and forth and could not make up my mind.  I was REALLY close to getting them the FN141, but the bar spacing and having to put on the mesh to rat proof it made my decision that the Martins was going to be better for my needs.  I really don't care for the mesh because I wanted to be able to see the rats while they were inside the cage clearly without all of that wire in the way.

When I assembled the Martins, I could not believe how large it was/is.  Even though I "knew" the dimensions I was still caught off guard by it's size, especially for the amount of money it costed.  It is huge for the price.  I love my cage.  I have had it for a month, and really the only complaint I have with the cage is I wish that Martins offered the cage with white bars instead of the black.  Other than that the cage is perfect and I have no regrets.

I also want to add that although the size of the FN is larger, the amount of levels are the same.  If you don't "fill" your FN than really the size does not matter.  The rats don't care there is so much "wasted" space inbetween the far apart levels unless you have hammocks and such taking up that space. 

If you have only a few rats, I honestly think the Martins is a better cage.  Than you can take that extra money you would have spent on the huge cage and decorate it really cute with lots of hammocks and stuff for them to play with.

Weaver where did you get that pinky carpet for the middle level so cute
I made them their cage pads :)  It is made with pink micro fleece I bought from Hancock Fabrics.

Just so you can see the size of the cage better, here is my adult female Delilah during her "getaway" while her mommy was trying to take cage pictures :yelcutelaugh:

Offline Heatherama

• Posts Too Much!
  • Empty
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2008, 09:07:38 PM »
Here's where my 3 girls live for now.  I'm holding out for a Critter Nation though, then they will be upgraded!

"...Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned... ~ Tyler"

Offline WEAVER

• Posts Too Much!
    • The Cozy Cavy
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2008, 11:08:21 AM »
Just changed up my cage and made the girls new cage pads :)
Here is the cage with the doors closed.

Doors open.

Top level.

Bottom level.

How about an extra picture of Abigail peaking out of her hammock from Scubbs ;)

Offline RugRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2008, 11:30:19 AM »
Beautiful cage Weaver, and everyone else!! They're so creative  :D

Offline Serendipity Rats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2008, 11:37:13 AM »
Is that F 430HR powder coated or PVC coated?  I like that cage but my girls chew the PVC coating off the bars. 

It is PVC coated. I bought it used, and some of the PVC is worn off of the cage, but not very much. My girls do not really chew the bars and it holds up fairly well, but every now and then a bit of the PVC does come off the cage. PVC definitely does not hold up as well as powder coating, and if I had purchased this cage new, I would have requested it be powder coated.  :thumbsup2:

Offline WEAVER

• Posts Too Much!
    • The Cozy Cavy
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2008, 09:40:39 AM »
The ratties got a clean cage last night  :BlueDumboSmile:  Here is what it looks like this time.

Top level.

Bottom level.

I am working on putting them together a winter themed cage and a Christmas cage :cheeky:

Here are a few more pictures of the girls trying to "escape".  They are becoming a little more friendly, but Delilah is still very dominant and likes to nip me.  With that being said, she is also the most curious of me, so I am hoping with time she will come around.
Here is Abigail asking her mom where she is going.  :D

I had to keep putting Delilah back into the cage.  She is so crazy!  Look at sweet Petunia just watching Delilah getting herself into trouble.

I think this is one of the first pictures I have of all three of the girls together.

Offline ShigsnPits

« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2008, 11:40:46 AM »
THANK YOU THANK YOU for starting this thread!   :bow:

This is incredibly beneficial to see Martin's cages in use and decorated.  I have been debating with myself for quite some time now on whether I want to get a Martin's cage or something else.  I have had rats off an on for over 15 years, and have never owned a Martin's.  I need to see cages in person before I buy one, but since I don't know of anyone in my area that has rats, let alone a Martin's cage, this thread will have to settle my curiosity. 

My questions to those with the Martin's:

1.  How do you attach fleece to the tray at the bottom?  The tray appears to be too shallow for any other form of bedding (I use shredded paper from my office).

2.  I have 4 very LARGE females (bigger than some males).  They are not overweight, just BIG.  Martin's seem taller than wide.  Will 4 BIG girls be happy in something like the R695?  Or should I go to  ferret cage with rat sized wire?

3.  Is PVC coating an option, or is everything powdercoated? My current cage is a ferret cage from Kritter Koncepts is PVC coated and I LOVE it!

I think that is all the questions.  If they were answered already within the thread, I greatly apologize in advance!!!!!  I haven't had the chance to read the full thread, as I am in a teleconference at the moment (bored out of my mind).  Thank goodness for WI-FI and my laptop!

Wild animals never kill for sport. Man is the only one to whom the torture and death of his fellow creatures is amusing in itself -Froude

Offline Serendipity Rats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2008, 12:29:41 PM »
Shigsnpits, the rat-specific cages would be suitable for larger female rats - but since you prefer the PVC coating, I would suggest taking a look at the Martin's ferret cages. The bar spacing is 1" x1", which is perfectly suitable for adult rats. The PVC also makes the cages lighter, so cleaning is easy too.  :thumbsup2:

Offline ShigsnPits

« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2008, 01:21:28 PM »
Ahhhh...so the ferret cages are PVC coated...got it.   I am adopting some rittens in January from a breeder, and need a new cage for them also, so I don't have to modify my other spare cage that I have.  Martin's rat cages are good for rittens too with no modifications?  I am tired of having to modify cages for little ones.  It takes a toll on the hands and sanity!   :P   

I do not mean to sound ignorant on all of this.  I am a Martin's cage "virgin"!  My hubby and I have rescued and adopted ferrets for the past 7 years (along with rats) and I have always used ferret cages for the rats, as we always adopted adult rats, and never had any problems.  We have fostered a few young ones over the past year and had to modify the cages for the short times we had them.  Now, we are looking to adopt our own young ones, and just do NOT want to modify yet another cage.

Wild animals never kill for sport. Man is the only one to whom the torture and death of his fellow creatures is amusing in itself -Froude

Offline WEAVER

• Posts Too Much!
    • The Cozy Cavy
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2008, 02:45:32 PM »
Martin's rat cages are perfect for little ratties.  You would not have to modify it.

I don't use disposable bedding, but I think the pan would be deep enough to use Carefresh or whatever without it all coming out of the cage.

The cage really is a nice size.  I think it would be perfect for four rats.  It honestly feels "empty" with just three in there. 

Offline ShigsnPits

« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2008, 03:39:32 PM »
Martin's rat cages are perfect for little ratties.  You would not have to modify it.

I don't use disposable bedding, but I think the pan would be deep enough to use Carefresh or whatever without it all coming out of the cage.

The cage really is a nice size.  I think it would be perfect for four rats.  It honestly feels "empty" with just three in there. 

I don't plan on using disposable bedding anymore either, though I do get the shredded paper for free, and my girls love to see how high they can pile it in their cage.  I think their destiny is to be interior decorators.

I called Martin's (and am waiting for a return phone call) about what the wire size they use for the ferret cages?  Does anyone know off the top of their head?  The website tells what the spacing is for rats, but doesn't mention what it is for the ferret cages.  It looks fairly small also. 

I think I am officially sold on Martin's cages!  Now to decide which ones to buy for the current group of girls and for the little ones that will be arriving in January.   :binkybaby:

Offline Jolly Jumper

« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2008, 04:16:36 PM »
WEAVER, what al lovely setup!  :heart:
I love the pink Wodent wheel  :party:
You have 3 beautifull girls

Offline M&Msisters

« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2008, 10:09:55 PM »
well I think its offical i am getting a Martins R-695 :hyper:
My petting zoo
2.00 rats 2.00 teddy bear hamsters 2.00 dwarf hamsters 1.00 cat
1.00 horse

Offline WEAVER

• Posts Too Much!
    • The Cozy Cavy
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2008, 10:33:15 PM »
WEAVER, what al lovely setup! 
I love the pink Wodent wheel 
You have 3 beautifull girls

Thank you so much :)  I am really enjoying the girls and being able to decorate their "home".

I have seen your cage setup before and I just want to say that you do a wonderful job giving your ratties a beautiful cage.  You can tell that you love them very much :wink5:

Offline Jolly Jumper

« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2008, 05:35:42 PM »
Thank you WEAVER  :D

Offline rattix2

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2008, 06:35:53 PM »
Weaver, i am so jealous of your cage decorating..skills.  :doh: No matter how hard I try, I just can't get it right, lol!

Redid the boys today..

My mom has started buying things for the ratties, she got the barn at Goodwill for $2 and the trick or treat buckets were only 18 cents after halloween. :D
--> Rebecca <--

Offline JuliesZoo74

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2008, 08:36:10 PM »
Not that exciting right now but I just finished putting it together.

Offline Eugooglizer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Everything's got a moral, if only you can find it
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2008, 08:54:21 PM »
Ok y'all, I've been debating between getting a single-level FN or a Martins 695 for my three girlies and all these pics of such gorgeous decorating jobs have pretty much convinced me to go with the Martins!  Birthday is coming up so hopefully I'll be ordering soon.  Will definitely be switching from bedding to fleece, so I guess I better start stocking up!  Maybe there will be some good Black Friday sales....

Offline WEAVER

• Posts Too Much!
    • The Cozy Cavy
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2008, 12:35:04 PM »
Julztoni, I am so glad that you posted a picture of MRR's new Party Platoon Hammock.  I was wondering if it would fit ok in the R695. It looks like it fits perfectly!  I am going to have to order one (or two ;)) now. :cheeky:

Offline djskolnick

• Ying Yang Twins
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2008, 02:40:55 PM »
Weaver-
Where did you get the fabric ropes from or did you make them? Do your ratties use them?
Loganberry, Jasper & Rexy

Offline WEAVER

• Posts Too Much!
    • The Cozy Cavy
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2008, 06:30:49 PM »
Weaver-
Where did you get the fabric ropes from or did you make them? Do your ratties use them?

I made them :)

My ratties don't crawl from one end to the other on them or anything, but they do rest their feet on them to peek around or to move from one level to the other real quick.

Offline JuliesZoo74

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2008, 06:47:30 PM »
Julztoni, I am so glad that you posted a picture of MRR's new Party Platoon Hammock.  I was wondering if it would fit ok in the R695. It looks like it fits perfectly!  I am going to have to order one (or two ;)) now. :cheeky:

They love it!  Oliver sleeps on top and the baby boys sleep in the tubes, one in each tube.  I love it.  I got one for my girls also!

Offline WEAVER

• Posts Too Much!
    • The Cozy Cavy
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2008, 09:13:54 PM »
I have been sewing all day long and just finished cleaning and putting together the girl's new Christmas cage.  Their theme is "Gingerbread".  They seem to really like it :wink5:

Here is the entire cage with the doors open.

Top level.

Bottom level.

The cage with the doors closed :)

And of course, I have to share a few of my girls checking out their new setup  ;D

Petunia and Delilah...

Petunia, Delilah and Abigail...