Author Topic: At my wits end with poo  (Read 4731 times)

Offline Kassandra

At my wits end with poo
« on: October 08, 2008, 04:44:10 PM »
I have had the most amazing rabbit for five years now, he has always been fed the same food (i'm up for changing it if that's what it takes) I clean his cage out twice a week. However he keeps getting his poo stuck to him, I don't mind getting it off, which normally means me getting coverd in rabbit poo, while sitting on the floor with some scissors trying not to hit his male parts, or washing him. But it can not go on, it can not be good for him. It gets stuck in clumps and I worrie about flys. I just don't no what to do? Is it a diet thing maybe or is a trip to the vets most likely the best option? Any advise would be great. He's a lion head, if that helps.

Thank you

Offline LiLRATTiES

• i LOVE MY RATTiES
Re: At my wits end with poo
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 05:28:37 PM »
Try shaving the area where the poo is always getting stuck.
Loved by: 1 human,16 ratties, 2 dogs, 1 cat, 15 lizards, 8 snakes, 4 birds, & 3 turtles.. I rescued over 50% of these guys.. Wouldnt trade any of them in for the world. I love animals of all kinds..Feather, scales, fur.. its just the outside of an animal in need of help!

Offline Kassandra

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 03:52:52 AM »
I thought of that but I was worried it would make it easyer for any flys to get at?

Offline Punkygirl0101

• Posts Too Much!
  • Dogs-Cats-Ferrets-Mice-Turtles-Fish
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 05:10:56 AM »
I have a lionhead and she never has that problem, and she has long hair down there.

You didn't mention what food you actually are feeding her ;). What kind of veggies/fruits, how often, is she getting hay?
4 Rats-6 Dogs-3 Ferrets-1 Hamster-2 Box turtles-15 Cats (including fosters)

Offline Kassandra

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 07:42:00 AM »
He gets carrots, he's always got hey (it's in the little hanging basket thing) His food is a dry mix mixed dried cabbage, carrots, and weat looking seeds not sure if it is weat tho, he eats weetabix too.
I mean i'm for changing anything about his diet if that's what it takes, i'm just worried more than anoyed that I have to keep cleaning him it's a mothers job to do that anyway. Just acn't be nice for him.

Offline monkey7

• Posts Too Much!
    • Monkey's Corner
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 06:21:40 PM »
I am interested in this too.  I have a Neatherland Dwarf who gets poo stuck to him from as well.  He hasn't been as bad as he was before since I changed his food.  I wonder if it is the food that is causing the problem.  If he eats carrots or anyother veggies or greens too many times a week he will get poo stuck to him.

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack your thread. ;)

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 03:21:37 AM »
My Holland Lop sometimes gets poo stuck on him, as well. These are most likely, in your case (and mine!) cecal poops. Rabbits are supposed to eat these to regain nutrients. If you are over-feeding pellets, then cut back and push more hay. The reason for your bunny not eating these cecal poops could be that he is getting too much from his pellets.

Pellets should mainly be used as a supplement. Hay is the best thing for your bun! I only feed 1/4 cup to my guys (3-4lbs). Are you feeding a timothy based pellet or alfalfa based? What about the hay?

Offline Kassandra

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 01:30:06 PM »
There is no pellets in his food, it's all dried veg, he always has hay about two handfulls a day, still some left at night. I'm 100% sure it is his diet i'm just not sure what to change to as he's always had the same food.

So the best thing is really just hay and fresh veg?

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 03:13:30 PM »
The only way to ensure a healthy rabbit on a no pellet diet is variety in fresh veggies and hay. You can't only use a few types of veggies and one type of hay.

I, personally, feel a rabbit needs a little bit of pellets in his diet. I look at pellets as a vitamin.

Offline Punkygirl0101

• Posts Too Much!
  • Dogs-Cats-Ferrets-Mice-Turtles-Fish
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 06:05:43 PM »
The type of food you are feeding is NOT healthy for rabbits. They need to be fed mainly LEAFY green veggies, NOT carrots. Carrots are not a good thing for them to be eating EVERYDAY, and should only be given as a treat. (Despite popular belief). That very well could be giving your bunny the diarrhea.

Bunnies should also be fed HIGH QUALITY pellets. The most recommended is Oxbow..I have checked ingredients of store bought (Like PetSmart pellets) and Mazuri has the exact same ingredients as Oxbow (Same percents). Do NOT feed seed mix type rabbit foods to your rabbit!!!!
4 Rats-6 Dogs-3 Ferrets-1 Hamster-2 Box turtles-15 Cats (including fosters)

Offline Kassandra

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 06:08:30 AM »
WOW Punky Calm down with !!! please. I love your passion for sure. Only thing is all the pet shops near me sell Rubbish food, some are badly dyed it's horrible. Less of two evils.

I will change his diet, I don't often feed him carrot's Punky so I'm OK on that point just the wrong food i guess.

Thanks for your help I will post again once he's diet is change I'm hoping to see a result!

Cheers.

Offline DragonTamer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spider Lovin'
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 02:01:12 PM »
carrots have a lot of sugar in it, which is bad in large quantities for rabbits