Author Topic: AHHHHHH SICK of leaking water bottles...need advice  (Read 10427 times)

Offline Andilynn

• who needs hair?
    • Rat Finx Rat Rescue of Oklahoma
AHHHHHH SICK of leaking water bottles...need advice
« on: October 15, 2008, 01:43:13 PM »
Sometimes my rats water bottles leak, usually AFTER I have cleaned their cages.  It is frustrating to no end.  I have tried the ones with the spring in them, and yes they don't drip, but I find that my rats tongues are not strong enough to get water out of them.  I usually get the glass ones, more expensive and chew proof, but even some of those are "drippers".  GRRRRRRR  Any success stories out there that may help would be forever appreciated! >:(
Owned by rats, chinchilas, sugar gliders, cats, and OH yea, 2 human children!!!!!

Offline Chevalrose

• Posts Too Much!
Re: AHHHHHH SICK of leaking water bottles...need advice
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 01:53:23 PM »
I read about a trick that works (not on glass bottles though).

Fill up the bottle
Before you put the cap on, squeeze the sides in
Cap and flip over while still holding the sides
Release the sides when the water bottle is right side up (with the cap end down).

It should pull in the air and vacuum seal the ball in place. It will give off a few drops at first, but should hold in place after. If not...squeeze the sides in even more before capping.

I found this out on an internet search after the big water bottle I got left a lake in the cage overnight :-\
RIP Gus, Clooney, Tobi, Onyx, Oliver, Romeo <3

Offline Lise

• Posts Too Much!
  • Animal Crazed
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 02:48:39 PM »
Edstrom Water Buddy water bottles!!

I have been using these for a couple of years now, and I won't ever go back to the traditional type. :)
|| Lise ||

The Boy: Simon  The Girls: Arizona | Karma | Pepper | Penelope 

& Always Remembered: Molly, Nora, Tevy, Lucy, Guinness, Seagram, Pixie, Cleopatra, Skye, Bella, Juno, Sasha, Gibson

Offline neonstina

• Redwood City, CA, USA
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 04:02:39 PM »
I use the Lixit plastic bottles in my cages. I've found that if I fill the bottle all the way up with no air left in it, cap & turn over, shake it over the sink, it doesn't drip when I put it in the cage.

Gook Luck  :thumbsup2:

Offline Prime654

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 04:07:36 PM »
Edstrom Water Buddy water bottles!!

I have been using these for a couple of years now, and I won't ever go back to the traditional type. :)

Agree on this! I have only been using them for about a month but no leaks at all yet.  Took a while for my boys to get used to it, but its one of the better water bottles ive seen. 

Its top fillable so i dont have to remove the bottle from the cage, just bring my bottle of water over and fill them up (I have hard water where i live so use bottle water so I dont get that chalky buildup blocking the valve).

Offline NYDaisy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Jon
    • MySpace
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 04:23:41 PM »
I have to also say that the Edstrom Water Buddy is the best water bottle I have ever used.  I love them.  Worth their weight in gold IMO :)
-Amanda

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.

Offline Rose

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rodentia Dementia!
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 08:26:51 PM »
Water Buddy bottles on sale at bunnyrabbit.com.

https://www.bunnyrabbit.com/brcom.html
Beware of SARS-Suddenly Acquired Rat Syndrome

Offline tonivan

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 09:31:05 PM »
I use Lixit bottles with no problem.  I do put the bottles in the cage and then give the bottle a very small squeeze so help build the vacuum.  I also have a half gallon lixit bottle for my cats and have had issues with it in the past.  It would leak like crazy every once in awhile but I think I have that figured out.  I make sure I have the lid on tight,  give the bottle a small squeeze while I push on the ball bearing in the spout after I hang it up.  Since I started doing that I have not had any problems.

Offline chaa

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 09:42:50 PM »
good golly, thanks to you guys who recommended the water buddy!!  i've had HORRIBLE drip problems seemingly with every bottle i've ever gotten, and this one looks foolproof even for me!

*buys two*   :yelcutelaugh:
The Hairless Troupe

Offline Serendipity Rats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 11:27:35 PM »
The Water Buddy water bottles really are the best. I've had mine for years with no issues - they really do not leak. I also found some that are similar that are less expensive - Woody Wabbit water bottles. Different style of bottle, but the nozzles are the same and they are very comparible to Water Buddies. ;)

Offline Lucille

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 12:21:55 PM »
Water Buddy bottles on sale at bunnyrabbit.com.

https://www.bunnyrabbit.com/brcom.html

I owe you a 'thank you' Rose!   I have birds as well as rats and I love the idea of the Water Buddies, had not seen them before.  I just ordered 12 and got 1 free on top of the sale price!

Offline Neal

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 06:17:35 PM »
Thanks for this thread. I am having the same problem.

Offline Andilynn

• who needs hair?
    • Rat Finx Rat Rescue of Oklahoma
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 09:33:27 AM »
When I started this thread I thought that I was the only one with this problem, like it was me doing something wrong :doh: (has a box full of bottles that leak)  Water buddy here I come!!!!!!!  Also, I filled up my girls water bottle (they have a plastic one) and squeezed ,,,,,,,,worked like a charm!!!!!!!!  Thanx  (still getting a water buddy)
Owned by rats, chinchilas, sugar gliders, cats, and OH yea, 2 human children!!!!!

Offline Neal

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 09:47:19 AM »
I'll do this today when I fill up the bottles.

Offline Drift

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 06:45:22 PM »
I used to have a leaking bottle problem, until I realized it might be 'trapped air' in the tube, keeping the ball bearing loose [My logic is weird..] So I had to 'release the air' trapped by the ball bearing. I took the full bottle, held it like it would be attached to a cage [Upright?] and pushed the ball into the tube with my fingernail, to allow 'trapped' water and air to drip out. Bam! No more leak as long as I push the ball before I attach it to the cage. Same with my 'flat back' bottle, except that water gushes, more then drips before hand. One of my friends on GM also had that problem with hers, until I showed her how to release the 'trapped' water.

Novel, sorry xD