Author Topic: Hammocks for babies?  (Read 321 times)

Offline Lysendriel

• My DeviantArt
Hammocks for babies?
« on: October 16, 2008, 07:22:55 PM »
Hi! My name is Rebecca and I am new here. I've been reading a lot of past posts, and I love all of the great ideas you guys have! So, one to my question. I have had quite a few rats in the past, and a couple of weeks ago I decided to get just two more. (you know how it is...) Well, to make a long story short, one of the very young girls that I got ended up being pregnant. So now I have 9 little baby rats. They are just about 3 weeks old and they are living in one of my ferret nations. (I modified it with hardware cloth, something I learned off this forum, which I am incredibly grateful for! I though I would have to wait until everyone grew up until I could use it again). Right now I've put two shelves (I took the one from my other FN), so the spacing between the two shelves in only a couple of inches. The thing is, I'm worried about putting in any hammocks. I just don't know if the babies will fall off of them. They jump from shelf to shelf, they are so energetic that clearly taking the time to use the ramps would just cut into their playtime *rolling my eyes*. So, is it OK to put in hammocks, or are they still to young? I'm just really afraid of one of them hurting themselves. At the same time, the cage looks absolutely empty without my usual hanging forest of sleepy space. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

-Rebecca
Loved by my rats Lily, Auntie Spike, Sadie, and Splotchy Butt
Merely tolerated by my dog Brandy

Previous ratties~ Ebony, Ember, Cheerio, Squirt, Brown Bear, Baby,  Bandit, and Whiskers.
Adopted out~ Chunky Monkey, Lily's babies (Puzzle, Squish, Thin Stripe, Speckled, Look alike, Dimple, and Henry)

Offline LoveBurmese

• Hummingbird Ridge
Re: Hammocks for babies?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 08:29:37 PM »
I personally think babies are pretty resilient.  And it's softer for them to ping off the hammies than wire or hard shelves.  :yelcutelaugh: :wink5:  My baby popcorns around like a goofy lil thing bouncing off walls, hammies, other rats, you name it.   :yelcutelaugh:  In short, my babies have always loved hammocks and snuggly spots.

Offline RattieLove_84

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 08:56:35 PM »
I would say it can be okay to put hammocks in for babies. You just have to put enough in so that there can be no long falls. With the right creativity with the setup I'm sure you can find a way. Plus, most rats love a soft place to sleep or play anyways.

Offline Lysendriel

• My DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 09:26:02 PM »
Ok, thanks! The cage looks so empty now, I'm glad I can fill it! I can't image how cute they're going to look all squished in a hammock.  :heart:
Loved by my rats Lily, Auntie Spike, Sadie, and Splotchy Butt
Merely tolerated by my dog Brandy

Previous ratties~ Ebony, Ember, Cheerio, Squirt, Brown Bear, Baby,  Bandit, and Whiskers.
Adopted out~ Chunky Monkey, Lily's babies (Puzzle, Squish, Thin Stripe, Speckled, Look alike, Dimple, and Henry)