Author Topic: [Toy Question] Are Your Rats Market Mavens or DIY Divas?  (Read 709 times)

Offline Evie

[Toy Question] Are Your Rats Market Mavens or DIY Divas?
« on: October 17, 2008, 12:24:17 AM »
So, do your rats prefer toys brought home from the store or items that are clearly recognizable as playthings or do they turn whatever is lying around into a source of amusement?
My girls seem to ignore anything that seems event remotely toylike (except for the wooden ball on a string). I was wrapping a present and Amelie was buzzing around me. She even sat on some of the tissue paper when I was using it. When I finished and said, "ok!" she grabbed the paper and dragged it into the cage as if she had never experienced something more wonderful in her life. The two girls also seem to like using paper shopping bags as their own personal moonbounce.
What about your rats?

Offline libertatis

Re: [Toy Question] Are Your Rats Market Mavens or DIY Divas?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 09:00:15 AM »
My rats will play with anything. And I mean ANYTHING. If it's in their reach, it's their toy. Cell phone? They've tried to drag that away many times when I've left it lying on the bed when they have free range. Plastic bottle caps are always a hit. Anything paper is awesome. Patroclus even thought my laptop keyboard made a suitable toy, and pulled one of the arrow keys off it.  ::)

They seem to like store-bought toys as well. Really, they will claim anything as their new plaything. Anything.
Owned by Houdini, Patroclus, Fritz, and Dorian.

RIP: Maxine, Sweetstick, Basil, Olivia, Stormy, and Lightning

Offline PnutLuv

• Posts Too Much!
    • SnoozieCubes
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 09:08:48 AM »
Mine don't play with much. Carly will steal things occasionally...she loves shoelaces and barbie clothes. I saw her playing with a crumpled up piece of paper towel in her cage the other day. Mostly they just play with each other, I haven't found that magic toy yet.

Offline monkey7

• Posts Too Much!
    • Monkey's Corner
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 12:15:18 PM »
Mine like to chew my blanket I have on my bed.  I made them one of their own that they draged into their cage.  My hairless likes the hanging bird toys in her cage.  My other rat insists on tipping the igloo over.  They also like my cell phone.

Offline purpurn

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 12:17:59 PM »
Rat like cell phones I guess  :yelcutelaugh: they have SOOOO many people they need to call! Mine seem to want to play with anything I have or that's attached to me heheh

Pets name: Wiggles
Adopt your own!

Offline Andilynn

• who needs hair?
    • Rat Finx Rat Rescue of Oklahoma
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 12:20:06 PM »
My rats would rather play and chew on things that aren't for them...they really love the buttons on the remote control.  I try to give them toys....every kind you can imagine...made and bought.  Nope, they turn their noses up at it and wonder off to chew on my cats tail.  Don't worry, my cat loves being groomed by my ratties, with supervision of course.  I too would like to know if anyone has found toys rats may like, I'll try anything.   :BlueDumboSmile:
Owned by rats, chinchilas, sugar gliders, cats, and OH yea, 2 human children!!!!!