Author Topic: A second cat? Pic of Casper!!!  (Read 1790 times)

Offline DragonTamer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spider Lovin'
A second cat? Pic of Casper!!!
« on: October 21, 2008, 08:18:06 PM »
I've fallen in love with a cat available for adoption through a local rescue.  I found his photo online a while back, and noticed he was at the Petsmart here, so I went in to watch him.  This cat was beautiful!  He's pure white, short hair, approximately a year old, and has one blue eye and one goldish eye.  He does wonderfully with other cats and is very playful and affectionate.   

After visiting him a few times I decided to fill out an application online.  I've called my mother, talked with my fiance, and spoken with coworkers on their opinions on getting a second cat.  My cat's extremely laid back and HAS lived with my mom's cats before, so I know she's ok with other cats.  My one concern was my son, who's very hyper although he's great around animals.   

Anyway I got a call from them yesterday, and arranged to meet him today with my son.  This cat was completely unfazed by Ian running and screaming and jumping and throwing cat balls at him.  He then pet him and told the cat that he was "so cute", hehe.  This cat just wanted to play and be loved.  OH and did I mention that the instant I came into the room and put my hand down to pet him, he started licking my hand?? 

I showed pictures to the foster woman of my pets, the cages I keep them in, told her about myself and such, and she seems comfortable with me adopting him.  I also keep asking my mother, fiance, etc if they think it's ok or not.

This is a huge decision for me.  Yeah, I get rats in a heartbeat, and weird exotics and such... but cats live 20+ years and have full access all the time to the entire house.  Growing up, we've never had LESS than two cats around at all times, so it's not a problem when it comes to that.  Plus, what if someone far better wants to adopt him?  I don't want to deny him a much better home than my own, you know?  Maybe one where he'd get his own little kitty spa and jungle gym, and has his own butler or something else i cannot provide?  lol.... 

I want your advice, please.  I have a problem ferret but even she gets along swimmingly with my cat, plus she has her own bedroom that she lives in.  There's the two rabbits who get free range time in the living room (who, once again, get along absolutely wonderfully with my cat), my 6 rats, the 2 african black millipedes, and my REALLLLy old spinies who may not be around for much longer than another year unfortunately. 

Is there room for a second cat, who loves constant attention and loves other cats as well as my kid, even?   This cat is an absolute dream, with the most winning personality ever.  I don't want to adopt him and deny him a far better home...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 03:07:47 PM by DragonTamer »

Offline Andilynn

• who needs hair?
    • Rat Finx Rat Rescue of Oklahoma
Re: A second cat? Please give me your advice on this matter..
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 08:31:53 PM »
I think as long as you have the means to be able to care for another, take in another.  I wouldn't give him the run of the house at first, with all the other pets around and all.  I have 2 cats, 1 who is afraid of my other animals, and the other who loves nothing more than to have my hairless rats cozy up to him,,,,under supervision of course.  HMMM, do I smell another SUCKER out there!!!
Owned by rats, chinchilas, sugar gliders, cats, and OH yea, 2 human children!!!!!

Offline diamond_wings

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 11:08:19 AM »
I think you should go for it. You sound like a really responsible pet owner and your kitty needs another little furry pal!

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 02:08:18 PM »
I'd go for it.  It sounds like you've put a lot of thought into it, and you know better than anyone else what you can handle.  :)

One thing to keep in mind is that not every adult cat gets adopted.  People tend to go for the kittens, rather than the older cats who might have "issues".  So, your home might be the only one this cat ever gets offered!  And we know what sort of pet owner you are, and that you love your animals to the fullest.  So, we know he'll be a very happy cat with you. 

Offline DragonTamer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spider Lovin'
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 08:32:34 PM »
Thanks for your input guys, I decided to go ahead with it and we're picking him up tomorrow at noon!   I'll be sure to post pics of him!

Anyway, there's 100% guarantee so if it doesn't work out, he can be returned to the rescue of course.  He is completely fixed, dewormed, has his shots, tested, etc etc etc.  He'll have to be taken to a vet within about 7 or so days of adopting him, and I have one picked out (just need to set him up with them still).  I also took my cat in today to the vet's to pick up her records and have her checked out, as well as get her distemper updated.  Anyway, I'm transfering her to the new vet (we had moved since then and I love this other vet.  He's awesome with my rats and the vet clinic works with a TON of rescues- rabbit rescues, ferret rescues, cats and dogs, etc. 

/edit-  Here's Casper!  He matches my black couch covers perfectly *grin*
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 03:08:45 PM by DragonTamer »

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: A second cat? Pic of Casper!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 04:21:50 PM »
Oh, he's beautiful!  Congrats!

Offline diamond_wings

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 05:01:13 PM »
He's gorgeous!! I'm so glad you are giving him a great home. Good Luck!

Offline Punkygirl0101

• Posts Too Much!
  • Dogs-Cats-Ferrets-Mice-Turtles-Fish
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 05:47:24 PM »
Hes beautiful! He looks like my cat Manson who passed away a few years ago. She had the same eyes too! :)
4 Rats-6 Dogs-3 Ferrets-1 Hamster-2 Box turtles-15 Cats (including fosters)

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 11:18:38 PM »
Congrats!  He's gorgeous!  My sister had 2 cats just like him, and their eyes were opposite colors of each other.

How is he settling in with everyone?