Author Topic: Knitting and Crocheting! - A quick hammock for rats!  (Read 21893 times)

Offline purpurn

Knitting and Crocheting! - A quick hammock for rats!
« on: October 30, 2008, 12:13:05 AM »
I looked up some older threads and there were some about knitting for rats. They all seemed to be concerned about the rats getting nails/paws stuck in them. My ratlets have been using the knitted hammocks I've made them for over a month with no troubles. I use cotton yarn (not really stretchy) in a small stitch. Here is one of the first quick tutorials for a quick easy knit rat hammock. Some of you who want to get into knitting/crocheting - this is a good starting project since it's really easy to follow. For this project I personally use Peaches & Cream yarn (got it at walmart) if you can't find it locally you can order them online > http://www.elmore-pisgah.com/store-pc.htm

What you'll need:
Size US7 needles (6-8 size is small enough that it usually won't let paws slip through)
Cotton Yarn (or another natural fiber like hemp blends - not very stretchy fiber)
Size "G" crochet hook (Optional **)

Starting out -

Long tail cast on about 50 stitches. Knit the tail into your work for about 3-4 stitches.
Knit to the end of the row and turn your work. Knit again till the end of the row and continue till you are satisfied with length. (I usually try to make them square, but a long rectangle hammock works well too in some spots.)
Bind off your end. This point I use the crochet hook to bind off the end more securely by crocheting back a few stitches.

Now you can use hammock hangers or you can go the extra steps like I do and crochet on ends that you can tie it to the top of the cage.

*Using your crochet needle - Chain till you are a suitable length (about 4-5"). Crochet the chain to a corner of the hammock and chain out the other side till the other end matches in length. When you have made two ties of about equal length pull through and bind off your chain.*

Cut all your ends off and hang up for your ratties to enjoy! :D

Ask any questions you need and I'll try to help out as best I can!

Pets name: Wiggles
Adopt your own!

Offline artsiekat

• Posts Too Much!
    • by artsiekat
Re: Knitting and Crocheting! - A quick hammock for rats!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 02:05:46 AM »
I, too, have used knitted hammocks without any trouble (keeping the stitches tight with smaller needles like yours), but my girls are chewers now, so I find sewing much faster. I'd rather make those than knit them a whole hammock and then watching them destroy it.

Seed stitch is a great stitch to use for ratty hammocks too.

Offline purpurn

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 12:23:38 PM »
I, too, have used knitted hammocks without any trouble (keeping the stitches tight with smaller needles like yours), but my girls are chewers now, so I find sewing much faster. I'd rather make those than knit them a whole hammock and then watching them destroy it.

Seed stitch is a great stitch to use for ratty hammocks too.

thankfully my girls haven't started to chew on things yet O_O

I'm fearful of the day a new rat in the pack teaches them how.

Adopt your own!

Offline purpurn

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 07:18:02 PM »
Here's something that I crocheted for my ratlets - A "fish house!" lol

I don't have a pattern for this - I just whipped it up while my BF was playing a video game. I crocheted it in Amigurumi style. It's made from a really soft acrylic sort of yarn. (Pattens I think...)

Adopt your own!

Offline arumberg

• Posts Too Much!
    • The Rat Lounge
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 07:22:33 PM »
My 16 year old brother is really good at crocheting, but he won't make me anything for the rat cage. He says he doesn't want to spend time on a hammock if all they are going to do is rip it apart. He is basing this on the fact that he made something for a friend who left it close to his hamsters cage and the next day he found it half chewed apart and ruined. When I mentioned that they hadn'y chewed on their hammocks he said it was because they were fleece and not yarn.  ::)

Offline purpurn

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 07:42:53 PM »
My 16 year old brother is really good at crocheting, but he won't make me anything for the rat cage. He says he doesn't want to spend time on a hammock if all they are going to do is rip it apart. He is basing this on the fact that he made something for a friend who left it close to his hamsters cage and the next day he found it half chewed apart and ruined. When I mentioned that they hadn'y chewed on their hammocks he said it was because they were fleece and not yarn.  ::)

That's a little biased... Rats don't need to chew as much since they can brux and wear down their teeth a bit themselves. You should tell him that :P My rats don't chew at all either. We gave them one of those edible tiki houses for rodents and they haven't even touched that - they just fight over who can sleep in it next lol.

Adopt your own!

Offline wickedrodent

• Posts Too Much!
  • "Its not always rainbows and butterflies"
    • Wicked's Crochet Cozies
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 08:36:07 PM »
I crochet for my rats and haven't had any problem with them getting their paws/nails stuck.

I LOVE that fish house! Are you selling them?  :hyper:

Offline Brooke711

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 11:38:48 PM »
I haven't knitted anything for my ratties yet, but only because with a 2 year old boy, and tons of other things to do it's much quicker to sew something than it is to knit, lol. However, I had a few old baby blankets that I had knitted for my son, and silly of me, I laid them too close to the ratties cage.. next day I found them very neatly pulled through the bars and made into a bed. Not a stitch out of place, not a single bite mark, lol.. they LOVE knitted things! So maybe the next day I have a little more spare time I'll knit something up.. but I'll have to go buy some cotton yarn, because all I have is the normal worsted weight yarn.  :-\

That fish house is the cutest thing EVER! If you figure out a pattern, I hope you share  ;) :BlueDumboSmile: