Author Topic: what is ideal bar spacing?  (Read 432 times)

Offline Inna

what is ideal bar spacing?
« on: November 04, 2008, 04:18:58 PM »
Although I've decided to wait to get rats (after the holidays at the earliest, although I think it's more ideal to wait until after some of my current small animals are gone but I'm not sure I can wait that long:) I've been keeping my eye out for good cages.  I found a GREAT deal on a rabbit cage, but I'm pretty much sure that the bar spacing will be way too big, especially since I plan on getting girls.  The spacing is 1x4 (inches).  I'm not wrong, am I?  This is definitely too big?  It's too bad, because it's a large cage, brand new, and super cheap.  Thanks again for all the advice!

Offline Rodent

• Posts Too Much!
  • Feetsies!
Re: what is ideal bar spacing?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 04:27:16 PM »
1/2 an inch is the typical bar spacing you should get.
I think 1x4 is too large, if I am reading it correctly.

Offline tonivan

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 04:29:44 PM »
For girls that 1 inch bar spacing is probably too large especially until they are full grown.  If you love love the cage otherwise and the price is right, then you could buy some 1/2 inch hardware cloth and cover the cage with that.  It of course adds a little expensive to the cage ($13-15 for a 3 x 5 hardware cloth, 10-15 for wire cutters, and a few dollars for zip ties) and a little work.  You have to weigh your options and see if this is good for now.  Later if you continue to have rats then I would recommend purchasing a ferret nation (although these need to be modified for small girls), a new critter nation that is coming out soon, or a martins cage.

Offline Suebee

• Honourary Canadian!
  • Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rimmer: 7/26/99 - 08/31/02
    • ratsrule.com
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 04:35:04 PM »
In my opinion, Martin's has the ideal bar spacing, at 1" x 1/2" (with 1/2" x 1/2" on the shelves). :)

1x4 is really big. I've had 1x2 before, and little rats could squeeze out EASILY. 1x4 is like having no cage at all. LOL!

Offline Inna

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 08:30:56 PM »
Yeah, I was pretty sure it was way too huge.  I did think about Tonivan's suggestion, though.  How hard would it be to add hardware cloth?  And would it make the cage alot harder to clean?  I'll probably have to pass this cage up, but if anyone out there is looking for a smallish rabbit cage (big for a pair of rats, but imo too small for rabbits, except maybe as a temp/quarantine cage) check your local Petsmart - It's the medium-sized wabbitat for $16!

Offline libertatis

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 08:57:56 PM »
Yeah, 1/2" bar spacing is really the best. It's rat-proof for all sizes and ages of rats.

For adult males or larger adult females, 1'' bar spacing is fine, but babies and smaller females WILL be able to fit through it unless you modify it.
Owned by Houdini, Patroclus, Fritz, and Dorian.

RIP: Maxine, Sweetstick, Basil, Olivia, Stormy, and Lightning

Offline tonivan

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 09:16:26 PM »
it is fairly easy to add the hardware cloth...kind of hard on your hands becuz of handling but i did it all myself.