Author Topic: Another Newbie  (Read 2078 times)

Offline RavenNC

• Don't mess with me hon...I'm the MOM!
    • Raven's Online!
Another Newbie
« on: November 05, 2008, 11:58:34 PM »
Hi everyone!

I usually hang out over at the Rat Forum, but it looks like we'll be bringing home two baby dwarf rabbits this weekend (possibly Jersey Wooly).  We have C&C set ups from our guinea pigs, of which we are down to one very very senior girl.  (Her friend passed away a couple of weeks ago, and her nervous personality and advanced age do not make getting another friend a good option.)

I know from working with a local rescue that we can use the C&C cage for bunnies, but do we need a lid?  Where do they like to sleep?  (Pigloo, hammock, litter box?)  Speaking of litter box - do we need one in their home?

We feed Oxbow pellets, fresh veggies and fruit, and Timothy hay to the guinea pigs, and Molasses Mix, lab blocks, fresh fruit and veggies, and fresh protein sources to the rats.  I want the best, most balanced diet for the rabbits - any suggestions?

What kind of bedding is best?  We use Aspen for everyone here (except one little girl rat on fleece - she is currently in a medical cage for a minor tail boo-boo).  Do they like the bedding to cover the entire cage, or would they appreciate a paver or two?  (And does that help with nail trimming like it does for the guinea pigs?)

Thanks much!

They babies are trained to use a water bottle
http://performingartscamp.blogspot.com/

Pets name: Dangerous Beans Adopted by: Raven
Adopt your own!

Offline Punkygirl0101

• Posts Too Much!
  • Dogs-Cats-Ferrets-Mice-Turtles-Fish
Re: Another Newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 12:51:10 PM »
Yes, you will need a lid unless it is more pen like. Rabbits can jump like cats.

My bunnies like sleeping in cat/dog beds.

Unaltered bunnies rarely use the litter box. Once they are spayed/neutered litter training can begin. So a litter box will really be a waste.

Oxbow pellets and hay, and LOTS and LOTS of fresh greens everyday! Fruits as treats!.

I use aspen for my rabbits litter boxes.

What are their sexes? Because once they reach maturity, even female rabbits will start fighting with each other. They will need to be altered unless you want to keep them separated. Its best to do it before they reach sexual maturity, so they are already bonded.
4 Rats-6 Dogs-3 Ferrets-1 Hamster-2 Box turtles-15 Cats (including fosters)

Offline RavenNC

• Don't mess with me hon...I'm the MOM!
    • Raven's Online!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 04:48:21 PM »
Thank you for your reply!

I ended up picking up only one of them today, rather unexpectedly.  Although the owner wanted them re-homed together, her mother wasn't able to contact her until after she'd already promised one to someone else.  I believe the one I have is female, and we'll be on a pregnancy watch because I suspect the other one is male.  He/she hadn't been picked up yet, and was larger than the rabbit I brought home - and of course housed together.  I'm assuming they function like rats and guinea pigs as far as reproducing, which means if they were old enough to wean they were old enough to breed.   ::)

Are they happier solo or with a buddy?  I also found out today that while the owner has now separated mom and dad, they were together after the babies were born and there is another litter on the way.  (I referred her to our vet.)  She's offered to call me when the babies are born (maybe I'll have learned how to sex them by then, and can head off THAT little problem), and let me have any that I want.  If they would rather be solo I'll just help her re-home the new babies.

Also, do they like levels or would they prefer a single level with stuff to jump up on?

On the personality side - OMG what a little lover!  She's a beautiful white, with a black patch on one eye, and incredibly soft.  She just melts when you pick her up, and she prefers to snuggle right up under your chin.  The owner mentioned that they've been held all but constantly and it really shows.
http://performingartscamp.blogspot.com/

Pets name: Dangerous Beans Adopted by: Raven
Adopt your own!

Offline Punkygirl0101

• Posts Too Much!
  • Dogs-Cats-Ferrets-Mice-Turtles-Fish
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 10:43:12 PM »
Hopefully she is not pregnant. I got a male and a female from someone, they were housed together.>They were 4 months old! And luckily she was not pregnant!

Rabbits ARE social, but they need to be spayed and neutered first, or else its nearly impossible to bond them. But they can do fine alone. My buns enjoy spending time with the cats!

That person really need to be responsible for her animals and stop allowing them to reproduce.

With NIC cages, mine like levels. No need for ramps, they will jump to the next level.

4 Rats-6 Dogs-3 Ferrets-1 Hamster-2 Box turtles-15 Cats (including fosters)