Author Topic: My new playpen! (homemade) pics *added some new pics!*  (Read 13442 times)

Offline RugRat

• Posts Too Much!
My new playpen! (homemade) pics *added some new pics!*
« on: November 15, 2008, 09:45:42 PM »
So, I'm not yet ready to splurge for a Martins playpen, so I've decided to make a playpen. It may not be a beautiful as a Martins, but it works fantastic! I'm so happy with how it turned out! Bug really enjoys having all the space, and I love not having to constantly be making sure he isn't outside of the pen already!

I made it with the cubes I originally had for his playpen, and the Ferret Nation box  :)

by the way, I'm hoping to get a slightly less ugly table cloth for the floor soon  :yelcutelaugh:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 05:18:47 PM by RugRat »

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • We create our own horror; animals have no choice.
Re: My new playpen! (homemade) *pics*
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 09:47:50 PM »
I actually do find it more beautiful than the Martin's.... I really like that blue! That was a really creative idea. I know that Bug is gonna love it!!! I'm the same way about the Martin's. I really want one, but I just don't have the extra money right now with the holidays coming up. I've been searching like crazy for a used one, but no luck. Your grid pen is awesome though!

Offline JuliesZoo74

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 09:51:59 PM »
Where can you get those mesh type grids?  I can only find the wide spaced grids. :'(

Offline RugRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 09:57:44 PM »
Awww, thank you! I'm so glad you like it (and think it's pretty!). If you're still looking for a playpen, I now reccomend making one!  :yelcutelaugh:

I got the mesh cubes a few years ago from Linens&Things. They were about $20 for 18  :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 10:00:39 PM »
Aren't they going out of business now? At least the one by me is... I could probably find them really cheap right about now. Will definitely have to add that to my shopping list tomorrow. ;)

Offline RugRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 10:07:03 PM »
I think they are...sale!!

They have them in the storage section I believe, you can get all sorts of colors too. There is the blue I have, orange, green, it's great  :) .

It was actually real easy to make!! Cardboard, cubes, and zip ties :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 10:13:26 PM »
I have *tons* of the large-grid ones from when I bought way too many to make my guinea pigs cage. Too bad those won't work. Hopefully I'll be able to find the mesh ones!

Offline M&Msisters

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 10:36:59 PM »
Is there a website I found one looked but they didnt have any were else Iwould love some :puppy_dog_eyes:

tasia
My petting zoo
2.00 rats 2.00 teddy bear hamsters 2.00 dwarf hamsters 1.00 cat
1.00 horse

Offline RugRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 10:38:33 PM »
I bought the mesh ones for my piggies! unfortunetly they passed away, but now they're perfect for Bugaboo  :BlueDumboSmile:

They also has the .5"X.5" I think, which would also probably work. The cubes are great, I want another pack so I can make a tower type thing for bug  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline Chaosbadgerling

• Posts Too Much!
  • Currently ratless
    • Aywas
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 11:39:23 PM »
I have so got to get me some of them :)

How sturdy is it?

*wonders how hard it would be to make it able to stand alone*

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 11:53:50 PM »
I have a C&C cage for my piggies, and it's super sturdy. I can drag it all around the room and the grids have yet to snap. If you snap them in to place well, and secure with zip ties, they're really sturdy.

Offline RugRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 12:43:06 AM »
It's very sturdy! Mine actually is standing on it's own, it's just in the corner to save space  :D

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 12:47:07 AM »
Nice! I use the vinyl grids sold at Target as a play pen, when I need one  :). They are great because the rats can't climb up the sides.

Offline RugRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 12:50:17 AM »
Yeah, the climbing used to be an issue with Bug, but since it's so high, he looses intrest  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline JuliesZoo74

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 06:56:41 AM »
Nice! I use the vinyl grids sold at Target as a play pen, when I need one  :). They are great because the rats can't climb up the sides.

What do those look like?  I've never seen them,  are they solid?

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 09:45:15 AM »

What do those look like?  I've never seen them,  are they solid?

I'm using my friend Alicia's picture of her rabbit cage for her small rabbit. You can see the vinyl panel in the front, the dog is kind of in the way....but you can get the idea  :P.

Offline JuliesZoo74

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 10:39:03 AM »
HMPH  I looked at Target and didn't see anything like that.  I'm looking for something to make shelves and levels in the new cage I got.  I was going to just get some of the chinchilla ledges to add some fun stuff to jump around on but putting those in like steps would be kinda cool.

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2008, 11:16:06 AM »
HMPH  I looked at Target and didn't see anything like that.  I'm looking for something to make shelves and levels in the new cage I got.  I was going to just get some of the chinchilla ledges to add some fun stuff to jump around on but putting those in like steps would be kinda cool.

I am very sure you can get them online! Also, check Target again, sometimes they are hard to see because they are in the same style box as the regular panels.

Offline RugRat

• Posts Too Much!
Re: My new playpen! (homemade) pics *added some new pics!*
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 05:25:54 PM »
Bug just HAD to test out the playpen!

"MAAMAWWW!! Whay did yew mate dis soo high?? I tant cwimb it!"

Bug's absolute FAVOURITE accessorie ever! $3 at walmart. He sleeps in it, and climbs on top of it and gets stuck to get my attention  ::)

He's a goof ball. He can officially climb up to the top of the cage, but can't get back down  ::)

Offline M&Msisters

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 09:28:05 PM »
sorry for bringing up this old topic but do you have a link to it?the grids please

Thank you
My petting zoo
1.00 horse

Offline RugRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 10:08:50 PM »
Sorry, I don't even know if the grids are still available, I bought mine a good 3 years ago  :-[

Offline M&Msisters

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2008, 11:02:05 PM »
well I would buy the other ones but I am scared there heads would get stuck :puppy_dog_eyes: :-X :-[
My petting zoo
1.00 horse

Offline RugRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2008, 06:53:34 AM »
Yeah, I wouldn't trust the 1" X 1" hole grids. Deffinetly check out Linens & Things (where I got mine), and also places like Walmart and Target. Good luck!