Author Topic: Oh my gosh they're worse than teenagers!!!  (Read 526 times)

Offline Lucille

Oh my gosh they're worse than teenagers!!!
« on: November 15, 2008, 02:14:06 PM »
Food in the bedding, grime on the toys, I thought those days were gone when my boys grew up and left home :o 
The orginial plan was to get out the steam cleaner and steam the Martin's cages clean.  But in one little week or so these guys managed to make a MESS!!  I mean, there was grime on vertical surfaces!!!

So I decided that the only way was to wash them down.  I will have to use 4 zip ties a week to do this, to cut the bridges loose on one side of the two cages.  The good news is that they are easy enough to carry, although a bit cumbersome, to the bathroom tub.  And the real good news is that I have 2 tubs.

Of course even after removing the bedding and tossing into the washer, I had to go retrieve little goodies they had stashed.

I'm thinking that after I really get it down to a science it will take less time, today including air drying it will have taken a little over 2 hours.  (Of course I was doing other stuff while the cages and laundry dried).

How many of y'all spray down your cages, and how many 'wash in place'?

Offline RugRat

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Oh my gosh they're worse than teenagers!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 02:27:02 PM »
My goodness, I know what you mean. I've got one boy, in a spacious FN, and he manages to make a mess of EVERYTHING within 15 minutes of me cleaning his cage  ::)

I did a big clean today, and the second i closed the door I noticed him digging picking up his lab blocks and, one by one, carrying them into his litter box. There's now food and litter everywhere!

Fortunetly, it doesn't take me more than 10 minutes to clean everything!  :yelcutelaugh: or else I'd be there for days

Offline BrowncoatRider

• Reves
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 02:32:31 PM »
I'm learning very quickly to check the hammocks and bedding for extra food before refilling the dish. It was just the other day that I actually stopped to watch the boys eat after giving them their breakfast, usually I'm in such a rush to get out to work that I just fill n' run, and saw that Emmett grabbed a pasta, stashed it in the igloo, ran back and grabbed another, so on and so forth. -.- As for cleaning I have an r-695 I wash the bottom when it needs it (they like burrowing under the fabric through nifty peep holes they make in the corners) in the tub. Every other day I change the bedding right now as it's kind of temporary stuff while I sew the thicker stronger sets but once a week lug the top out to the side of the house and do a thorough spray down.

Offline BlueBalloon

• Posts Too Much!
  • You say "Rats!" like it's a bad thing
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 02:39:05 PM »
LOL I totally understand! I have 2 of the boys in a FN 142, which luckily doesn't take that much time to clean. However, I have to new boys in a little rat cage (until I can trust them and my other two to be  in the FN) and boy do they get dirt EVERYWHERE!!  They all seem to love to put food in the litterboxes and poo in the food bowls :doh: and the fact that the cage is a total PITA to clean doesn't make in any easier. I have to take it apart and scrub it down in the tub.... :eek: So I fully understand your pain  ;)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 02:41:39 PM by BlueBalloon »
Owned by:
-2 Cats
-2 Rats
-1 Snake

Offline Shazza

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 04:27:21 PM »
my boys must be really clean because the most i have to wipe down is the wire shelf in Ahren's half of the cage and the pan!!

Offline Lucille

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 04:27:45 PM »
I am happy about the litterbox however.  I never told them what it was for, but there was proof that at least some of them figured it out.
I'm hoping that once the grommets get here and the level covers stay on, the levels will be cleaner.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 04:29:40 PM by Lucille »

Offline Chaosbadgerling

• Posts Too Much!
  • Currently ratless
    • Aywas
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 12:40:40 AM »
*giggle*

Ferret Nations/ Ferret Kingdoms rock.

So easy to clean- you pull your fleece out then wipe the plastic bits and cage out *or* wheel it out and hose it down *g*

Offline PotHBP

• Posts Too Much!
  • "You are my life now"
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 07:18:30 PM »
I just take a wash rag with a container with warm water and vinegar and proxide and wash my FN where it is...
Whenever I clean their cages, I put the rats in the "play room" and watch them.
Vegetarian since August 2009. 

Pet's name: Victor