Author Topic: Who keeps their rats in their bedroom?  (Read 14630 times)

Offline Mg33

Who keeps their rats in their bedroom?
« on: November 30, 2008, 04:33:37 PM »
Obviously some of you do, judging by the bedroom/rodentry pic thread.  :)
I was just wondering, and this might be a hard question to answer, I don't know, but are your rats noisy at night time? Enough to keep you awake? The thing is, if I get pet rats they will have to be kept in my bedroom and I am a little worried about many sleepless nights! I'm sure I would get used to it eventually... but that is one of my mom's concerns too. (before agreeing to let me get them!)
Thanks a lot for any answers!

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
  • "A house is not a home without a pet."
Re: Who keeps their rats in their bedroom?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 04:44:48 PM »
I keep my rats in my bedroom and i have never had a problem with them keeping me awake. They only way i would think they could is on their wheel but they have a silent spinner and it makes virtually no noise at all. If you get a wheel i would suggest one of those. other than that i never hear them at night.

Offline Pennytherat

• Posts Too Much!
  • My name is Grace, not Penny! ;)
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 04:47:13 PM »
I keep Penny in my room :)
Personally, I can't sleep without hearing her rustle around  :yelcutelaugh:
She isn't TOO noisy, she rustles around, chews on toys, eats, rearranges her "furniture"... bounces around... I can't sleep comfortably without it! :P
I am ratless. Someday I will own rats again.

Rats across the Bridge: Penny, Heidi, Jerry, Teddy, Lucy, Sophie, Silhouette, Jupiter, Ozy, and Rorschach. I love you all and hope we will someday meet again. :heart:

Offline Eugooglizer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Everything's got a moral, if only you can find it
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 04:52:06 PM »
My rat cage is in my bedroom next to my bed.  Never had a problem with them keeping me up.  I know they are fairly active at night because when I wake up every morning the whole cage is rearranged  ::).  I'm the kind of person though who prefers to have some kind of background noise when I sleep--a fan, tv, music, etc. so maybe thats why I don't notice any noise.  If you were a super light sleeper though it could be a problem I suppose.

Offline TnM

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 05:07:36 PM »
The noise has never caused a problem for me so far. I love my little rats they're familiar and their noises are familar... I know several times I've half woken to some random rat noise like drinking from the water bottle and then smiled and went back to sleep - it's not overly annoying or alarm causing. It did take a while at first, because I'd never had a pet in my room before. I too like background noise, so if something wakes me up I just turn my stereo up a bit and go back to sleep.
3 Girls in QT: Shady and Misha(the old ladies), and Blue Fairy
4 Boys: Spaz, Brother, Buddy, Valentino

RIP: Memory and Rattie Girl, Tinsel(amazing monkey rat), Ruby(The Gentle Giant), Holly(lil' tilty holly jolly rattie) - Gone from sight but never forgotten.

Offline Pamnangel

• Posts Too Much!
  • Stand for something or you stand for nothing!
    • Pam's Petsitting
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 05:17:22 PM »
I suppose it depends on how light a sleeper you are.  I have my boys FN near the bed so I can watch them while I drift off.  Sometimes I give everyone a banana chip before I go to bed.  That's about the noisiest they get.  I have a pair of seniors in a small second cage with a wheel.  As long as I keep it oiled, the wheel doesn't make any noise.
Pam
Pam's Petsitting
AuntiePamsPantry/Etsy
ElderRat Care Center
Roseville, CA

Offline Mg33

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 05:19:27 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone.  :) I do have another question, not a huge deal but do rats chew a lot? Specifically cage bars?
Just wondering because I used to have gerbils who lived in my bedroom and they chewed on the bars of their tank topper thing and I have to admit it got very annoying.  :P

Offline LOTR_Ratties

• Posts Too Much!
  • Life ends when we become silent about what matters
    • Zoe's Hammie Haven
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 05:22:39 PM »
I used to have gerbils, too, and they were really bad about that. But I've never had my rats chew on the cage bars. (They do however chew up their fleece toys/bedding! ::) But that doesn't make any noise.)

Offline Fate Foretold

• Posts Too Much!
  • ♪ You've got a friend in me ♫
    • My Artwork
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 05:24:56 PM »
Ugh, you guys are all lucky.  My boys are the noisiest critters ever at night lol.  They are so incredibly hyper!  :hyper:  They definitely kept us awake when we tried keeping their cage in our bedroom.  They'd run all over, chew up their kleenex boxes, wrestle, and crunch away at their food -- pretty much anything they can do to cause noise.  It was way too hard to sleep with how loud they were.  In fact, they are at the other end of our apartment now, but their noisiness at night still wakes us up!  Yeah, it's bad.

...do rats chew a lot? Specifically cage bars?...
My rats have only ever chewed the bars of their cage when they are angry and want treats.  Sometimes, if they're really anticipating a treat when they can hear me getting one, they'll gnaw at the bars until they get it.  Otherwise, I've never really had any problems with bar chewing.  Other types are chewing though can be bad.  They chew on basically anything you put in their cage, from fabric, to wooden homes, to toys, to kleenex boxes - you name it!
-Jeanette

Offline Eugooglizer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Everything's got a moral, if only you can find it
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 05:33:17 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone.  :) I do have another question, not a huge deal but do rats chew a lot? Specifically cage bars?
Just wondering because I used to have gerbils who lived in my bedroom and they chewed on the bars of their tank topper thing and I have to admit it got very annoying.  :P

Oh yes, gerbils are the worst when it comes to noise at night!  When I was younger I raised gerbils and had them in both aquariums and the plastic cages that connected with all the tubing and they chewed and banged and made an ungodly amount of noise no matter what I tried.  The noise my rats make is nothing compared to that lol.

Offline cassiejamie

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 06:07:50 PM »

Oh yes, gerbils are the worst when it comes to noise at night!  When I was younger I raised gerbils and had them in both aquariums and the plastic cages that connected with all the tubing and they chewed and banged and made an ungodly amount of noise no matter what I tried.  The noise my rats make is nothing compared to that lol.

Rats are no where near as loud as gerbs!  My gerbs burrow and scratch and run on their wheels all night long.  The rats aren't loud at all.  I think the loudest thing that ever comes from their cage is the noise of the litter in the box and their ferret balls.
Mama to:
The Rats: MacKenzie & Konstantin.
The Gerbs: Jack Karnak O'Neill & Daniel Cairo Jackson.
The Cavies: Brownie & Pig (aka Nelson).
Sister to Blouney Cat & Seven.

Rest well, Goofy, and give Crazy a love-slap from me.
I love you, Swirley. I love you, Gaia, Guinevere.

Offline trentsheba

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 06:23:42 PM »
It really depends on the individual rat.  I've had rats in my bedroom since shortly after getting my first ones.  Most of mine have been pretty good, but they get A LOT of exercise during the day, so they're pretty tired at night.  I hve one boy who can be really noisy but I ca't sleep without rat noises anymore.  If it gets too quiet, I get nervous.  The only time it wakes me up, is when the boys are fighting, then the whole FN shakes and sounds like it's going to go through the floor.

Pets name: Ben
 Moe

Offline M&Msisters

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 07:19:13 PM »
I have all pets in my room well expect my horse and cat.It sound like I have a train in my room my rats are the quietest of them all my teddy bear hamster is so noisey she chews on the bars run on her wheel  :doh: but If they are not there I cant sleep  :yelcutelaugh:
My petting zoo
2.00 rats 2.00 teddy bear hamsters 2.00 dwarf hamsters 1.00 cat
1.00 horse

Offline majikbabygirl

• Proud Mama
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 09:38:54 PM »
I always kept my ratties in my room. I want them to see my face no matter what I am doing. I love when they run to the bars every time I wake up. Makes my heart melt lol.
I wouldnt have it any other way although I think I would place them in any room where I spend the most time so they could get as much interaction as possible when their in their cage
*~MeeMee~*        
*Pita*                  *Larry*         *Merlon*
*Coppers*            *Curly*         *Arthur*
*Peter*                *MoMo*        *EEny*
*Gabriel*              *Whiteout*    *Meeny*
>^..^<  <:3)~ <:3)~ <:3)~ <:3)~ <:3)~ <:3)~ <:3)~ <:3)~ <:3)~ <:3)~ <:3)~

Offline cerulean.blue

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm up and dressed... What more do you want?
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 10:02:27 PM »
I've always had my rats in my room. They do make noise, but I've never had a problem sleeping because of it. Like trentsheba, I get a little worried if it's too quiet!

As for chewing on the bars, I have one girl that does it, but none of my other rats I've ever had ever did it. They have plenty of other things in their cage to destroy that I guess the bars aren't all that appealing to them... or something. lol

Offline Leslie Marie

• Posts Too Much!
  • Love is how you earn your wings
    • ..::My deviantART::..
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 11:07:22 PM »
My rat's don't keep me awake. =)  They are noisy at times, but they aren't too bad. I'm really used to the noise.. Infact, I CANT sleep unless they are in the room.. I went a small period without rats a few years back and just could -not- sleep since I was so used to the noise. I had to turn the tv on to fall asleep, just so there was some kind of noise in the room.  :yelcutelaugh:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 11:10:08 PM by Leslie Marie »

Offline Chunky

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 11:20:57 PM »
i have my rats next to my bed. theyre not that much of a problem though. they do rustle around at night since i have carefresh, you can hear it but not enough to wake me. they also have their water bottle which makes noise. none of them seem to bother me though. probably because im used to it.

RIP Boo, Ben, Skittles, Noodles and Baby
Much Love

Offline Rodent

• Posts Too Much!
  • Feetsies!
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2008, 11:31:39 PM »
For the most part, I like having my rats in the room. I like their noises at night, even though they are usually fairly quiet. They run around for a while before being put up for the night, so they'll sleep.

As for chewing, they don't chew the cage bars, but they will chew on fabric and stuff. You should be okay with having them in your room unless they are big noise makers, like Syren's rats apparently area. xD

Offline danterx

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 09:50:41 AM »
Before i had Dexter and Henry. I had Dante the hedgehog. He was the only one at night that ran around. The only time that he has ever woken me up at night is when he decides that his water is no good and needs me to get up and get him some new water. By banging his water bottle has hard as he can with his head. We had a good talk so now that stoped. Other then that he can run on his wheel, drink his water, chew his food, what ever he does at night and dosnt wake me up. So when Dexter and Henry came along i had no problem with them and me sleeping. I would also like to state that i am a very light sleeper. If any one in the house gets up i wake up. I know exactlly when every one gets up and leaves. I also can not sleep with the t.v. on or have any music playing. Even the sound of the fan bugs me at times. Yet agian I also fell asleep at xfest when the first band started to play... good thing my friends where next to me. I have even fallen asleep beside 4 giant speackers that my family uses for there partys. They are the ones that shake the neighbors house and they dont live close to each other. I really think it just depends on your body. For me i can deal with the noise becouse that noise means to me that my boys are happy and healthy and thats everything to me.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 09:53:38 AM by danterx »

Offline Mousie452

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 11:29:13 AM »
Mine are in my room and I hate it. I plan to move them out as soon as I can. I already move them out in the summertime, but winter's too cold. Everytime there's a scuffle I'm woken up. Food dishes become play toys that get banged around until I get up and take them out (leaving the food on their cage floor for them). Water bottles get annoying so I make sure I fill them well before I go to bed so the novelty of new water has worn off (you know that time when they all have to drink at the same time). The part that's the biggest pain is probably the half hour after the lights go out. That's the big party time. Eating has never been a noise problem for me. That's the calmest noise I can get them to make is if I give them some crunchy treats before I go to bed. This being said, I have 18 rats, 18 rats would drive anybody nuts at night compared to two or three.

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 11:44:09 AM »
My rats aren't what keeps me up--it's my mice! I had a wire wheel for my mice and it started squeaking really bad so I got a silent spinner and it is so LOUD! I had to put vaseline on the hinge points on the wire wheel and it no longer squeaks, so I have been using that one again. I used to have to take it out at night. If they have newspaper/paper towels or something in the cage they're going to be chewing/ripping it up but I usually go to sleep with music on and the cage is across the room. I occasionally hear them drinking water but it isn't enough to keep me up in the night and they've never been loud enough to wake me out of my sleep.

Offline Mg33

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 03:51:56 PM »
Thanks everyone, I'll keep all that in mind! :thumbsup2:

Offline zaprat

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2008, 02:43:18 AM »
i keep my rats in my bedroom. the first few nights were horrible! they kept me up all night! i finally just started keeping a basket of socks next to my bed. whenever they started play fighting or making a ton of noise, i would throw a pair at the cage, lol :yelcutelaugh: after a few nights they settled down, and i haven't had a problem since (this was like a year ago). when i used to have a hamster the wheel never woke me up.

Offline Aspen

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2008, 02:48:35 AM »
i keep all of mine in my room for the moment...but starting next month after we move..my boys and girls get their own bedroom right next to mine XD

Offline PnutLuv

• Posts Too Much!
    • SnoozieCubes
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2008, 10:22:42 AM »
Since I had kids, I'm a light sleeper, so I never even entertained the idea of putting them in our bedroom. But they really aren't that noisy at all. I have them in our office, and I'm up late sometimes, and the silent spinner is pretty quiet, and it's just the occasional squabble or chewing on dried pasta that makes any noise. :)

I had hamsters growing up and was pleasantly surprised to find that my rats don't chew on the bars at all!

Offline Mg33

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2008, 11:24:54 AM »
I've had my rats for about a week now and I can happily say that they do NOT interfere with my sleep, and are MUCH less noisy than my gerbils were. Lol. :thumbsup2:

Offline rattix2

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2008, 12:44:33 PM »
I have our rats in our bedroom and I could not imagine not having them in there. The boys cage was right next to my bed until we moved to a CN, so now the girls are next to the bed and boys are about 5 feet away.

Their noise doesn't bother me, even their loud thunking Comfort Wheel (get another wheel if you can! I do not recommend Comfort Wheels). About the only noise they make is when chewing on dried pasta noodles, and that isn't very loud. Sometimes they'll have a little squabble over the last piece of dried fruit, or who gets to be on the bottom of the hammock pile, and that may startle me, but I can quickly get back to sleep.

When I had my rats in the living room for awhile, I hated it. I didn't like not being able to see them all the time and whatever. :P
--> Rebecca <--

Offline nekomimi_ruri

• Ritten
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2008, 02:05:47 PM »
I keep mine in my bedroom because I love having them around me and prefer that they have as much exposure to myself as possible.  That said, they're not the noisiest duo (soon to be a trio as soon as QT is done), but there are two things that are liable to wake me up: the shredding of one of their cardboard boxes or one of them chewing on the wheel.  I think the shredding is the worst; I compare it to a child pulling wallpaper from the walls of a house  :puppy_dog_eyes:

Offline Whiskey on a Sunday

• Bella
    • myspace
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2008, 02:13:51 PM »
I keep mine in my room, the only time it wakes me up is if my two dominant rats are having a scuffle.

Offline Kailliene

• Ritten
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2008, 02:20:44 PM »
 I have a huge hutch turn cage in my bedroom at the foot of my bed. I love having her there so if I do wake up I can look at see that she is alright. The noise has never bothered, most of the time I don't even hear her.

My rat is very mischievous and has found every way possible to sneak out of the cage at night to sleep next to Mama on her own pillow. So really the only thing that has woken me up even when she sneaks out of the cage is her running across my face, or sitting right in front of my nose, smelling.

I'm a pretty light sleeper and she has never made enough noise to wake me. When I first got her though that was a different story, every two hours to make sure she was fine. :worry:
Emily says Hi!

Offline Emymoo

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2008, 03:06:34 PM »
My rats cage is at the foot of my bed and I love watching them play at night. Like alot of other people said, I can't fall asleep when they aren't up and about!

P.S. Kailliene and PennytheRat get your lonely babies a friend! :)
The dogs: Sara and Lola. The kitties: Emy and Molly
Rest in peace my sweeties
 Bella, Riley, Fuzz, Juno and Frederick <3

Offline Blackmoons

• Forum Enabler
  • We can no longer live as rats. We know too much.
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2008, 12:39:23 AM »
Maybe I've just been lucky so far... but so far my two boys are pretty quiet at night as long as they get out of their cage for a decent hour or more in the daytime.  I like to give them an hour or so at least two times a day but of course I'm only human so I can't always give them quite that much.

In any case I'm a pretty light sleeper so when they haven't gotten enough exercise, they certainly let me know it at night.  Occasionally I'll wake up to them chewing on their Snak Shak log (which often gets moved all around the cage as they chew) or because they are getting water (my bottle, though wonderful because it doesn't leak at all is TERRIBLE when it comes to noise when its a perfectly silent room at night). Like everyone else has been saying, its going to depend on how light a sleeper you are and how much time you can devote to your rats during the day. 

Personally I like that they tell me when they aren't getting enough attention because I think it helps me to be a better rat owner (although sometimes at 2AM I'm significantly annoyed... I know its my own fault).   :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline aphoeniceus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2008, 04:33:20 AM »
I love having the rats in my room. They get more interaction that way and I get to watch "rat tv" all the time! :yelcutelaugh:

That said, they are very quiet at night and if they are not in the room with me, I can't sleep as well. They do make some noise, but I really need some sort of white noise to stay asleep.  I love the crunching noises they make from chewing on the lab blocks.

Offline RattieLove_84

« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2008, 04:05:17 AM »
When I used to live with my stepdad, I used to keep my rats in my room. With the way things were set up I had no choice but to do that. I had a crew of 15 or so in 4 different cages, and they never kept me awake at all. Usually, they did not make much noise at all unless there was a dissagreement with one of the alphas. I know that the rats are supposed to be most active at night but mine weren't. They seemed to adjust to my schedule as they were always ready for attention when I was up.

With a new baby on the way (anytime now really, I'm 37 weeks) were considering moving things around. As right now we have our room and the rats have theirs. We are thinking of when we get my fiancee's financial aid overflow that we will re-do their room into the baby room and move the rats in here with us. Could not consider it before as we had little money and a very large crew at the time. Now that we only have a total of 10 rats (7 boys, 3 girls) we could manage them in our room. We were down to 3 total but we got some as presents. hehe

Offline JadesDream

• Stormy....TY 4 bringin me into the Rattie World <3
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2008, 10:37:53 AM »
My boys are in my room with me as well  :BlueDumboSmile: They have never woken me up. Actually, nothing wakes me up  :yelcutelaugh: I'm in the process of giving them the whole other side of my room to free range whenever they want. I have the entire attic and i'm making a 3 1/2 ft. wall or so with a swing type door, to seperate the room. It's totally rat proof. no electrical outlets or wires of any kind. I think they're going to just love it! I will post pics when all is done  :BlueDumboSmileTongue:

Care & The Crew
Care & The Crew

proudly owned by 8 ratties;
Storm's Sons; Phoenix, Snow, Thunder, & Rain
My Halloween Babies; Chucky, Freddy, Jason, & Michael!
2 Southern Rescue Dogs; Dunstin & Buddy
My Soul Rat~*~*~RIP Stormy...U will be 4ever Loved & Missed~*~*~

Offline Shazza

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2008, 04:43:42 AM »
i have mine in my room.  i like to hear them eat/play at night and i have wasy access to them whenever i want.  my room is also their play area, which makes it easy to just leave the cage door open and let them come and go as they please.

my mouse is also in my room, however she is atop my dresser and out of rattie contact :]