Author Topic: Weird water bottle behavior....  (Read 798 times)

Offline Klair Who

Weird water bottle behavior....
« on: December 26, 2008, 01:09:00 AM »
So I came home the other day to find the girls' water bottle on the ground, with the wire attacher nowhere to be found. I looked and looked, and finally gave up and made a new one out of coathanger wire. Well just now I noticed the water bottle on the floor again, with the wire thing missing, again. After a lot of looking I finally saw it INSIDE their cage. I took it out and reassembled it on their cage, but they're still reaching their hands out and shaking the water bottle. Why would they want it loose? I'm figuring they just think it's a toy, but I really hope this phase passes  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline Heatherama

• Posts Too Much!
  • Empty
Re: Weird water bottle behavior....
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 01:06:49 AM »
I just posted something like this a month or so ago.  Usually during the wee hours of the evening, like now at 1am, I'm in the living room with the rats running around outside the cage.  Sometimes though, I stay in the bedroom and sit on the bed with the laptop.  Well, on the evenings I'm in the bedroom, it is inevidable that I will hear a loud crash.  My big boys KNOW that if they knock the bottle down, I must come and put it back up.  Once it's up, they do it again.   ::)  Mine are doing it just to get me out there next to them.  For attention.  I just got them the Water Buddy bottles that clip to the cage with springs that they haven't figured out how to knock down....YET!  So all's quite for now.   :yelcutelaugh:

Stinkers.
"...Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned... ~ Tyler"

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 02:25:52 AM »
 Do they empty the bottle and then dump it? Or do they let it drop while it is still full? My rats get into this phase every now and again. It is annoying to have an entirely quiet house at night and hear a loud "something" hit the floor at 2am. LOL! Those things can be very loud, especially the 32oz botles! I try to situate the holder so that it cannot get unhooked. The spring bottle holders also work well at this.

-Melina
-Melina & Crew

Offline Dark_Rogue

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 11:45:05 AM »
My rats do that, too. I actually have bent the wires that go around the bottle to the cage, so they can't do it, anymore.
Happy slave to 11 rats, a hyperactive Jack Russell and a corn snake

Offline Klair Who

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 12:30:56 PM »
Well I'm going to the store  in hoes of something they won't feel the need to knock down.
To answer TheChicagoCrew, it's full when they knock it down.

Offline Eugooglizer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Everything's got a moral, if only you can find it
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 12:33:41 PM »
I have a flat-bac water bottle and the holder screws onto the side of the cage and then the bottle slides into the holder outside.  That might be something your ratties couldn't knock down.