Author Topic: Who keeps their rats in their bedroom?  (Read 14655 times)

Offline Mg33

Re: Who keeps their rats in their bedroom?
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2008, 11:24:54 AM »
I've had my rats for about a week now and I can happily say that they do NOT interfere with my sleep, and are MUCH less noisy than my gerbils were. Lol. :thumbsup2:

Offline rattix2

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2008, 12:44:33 PM »
I have our rats in our bedroom and I could not imagine not having them in there. The boys cage was right next to my bed until we moved to a CN, so now the girls are next to the bed and boys are about 5 feet away.

Their noise doesn't bother me, even their loud thunking Comfort Wheel (get another wheel if you can! I do not recommend Comfort Wheels). About the only noise they make is when chewing on dried pasta noodles, and that isn't very loud. Sometimes they'll have a little squabble over the last piece of dried fruit, or who gets to be on the bottom of the hammock pile, and that may startle me, but I can quickly get back to sleep.

When I had my rats in the living room for awhile, I hated it. I didn't like not being able to see them all the time and whatever. :P
--> Rebecca <--

Offline nekomimi_ruri

• Ritten
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2008, 02:05:47 PM »
I keep mine in my bedroom because I love having them around me and prefer that they have as much exposure to myself as possible.  That said, they're not the noisiest duo (soon to be a trio as soon as QT is done), but there are two things that are liable to wake me up: the shredding of one of their cardboard boxes or one of them chewing on the wheel.  I think the shredding is the worst; I compare it to a child pulling wallpaper from the walls of a house  :puppy_dog_eyes:

Offline Whiskey on a Sunday

• Bella
    • myspace
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2008, 02:13:51 PM »
I keep mine in my room, the only time it wakes me up is if my two dominant rats are having a scuffle.

Offline Kailliene

• Ritten
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2008, 02:20:44 PM »
 I have a huge hutch turn cage in my bedroom at the foot of my bed. I love having her there so if I do wake up I can look at see that she is alright. The noise has never bothered, most of the time I don't even hear her.

My rat is very mischievous and has found every way possible to sneak out of the cage at night to sleep next to Mama on her own pillow. So really the only thing that has woken me up even when she sneaks out of the cage is her running across my face, or sitting right in front of my nose, smelling.

I'm a pretty light sleeper and she has never made enough noise to wake me. When I first got her though that was a different story, every two hours to make sure she was fine. :worry:
Emily says Hi!

Offline Emymoo

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2008, 03:06:34 PM »
My rats cage is at the foot of my bed and I love watching them play at night. Like alot of other people said, I can't fall asleep when they aren't up and about!

P.S. Kailliene and PennytheRat get your lonely babies a friend! :)
The dogs: Sara and Lola. The kitties: Emy and Molly
Rest in peace my sweeties
 Bella, Riley, Fuzz, Juno and Frederick <3

Offline Blackmoons

• Forum Enabler
  • We can no longer live as rats. We know too much.
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2008, 12:39:23 AM »
Maybe I've just been lucky so far... but so far my two boys are pretty quiet at night as long as they get out of their cage for a decent hour or more in the daytime.  I like to give them an hour or so at least two times a day but of course I'm only human so I can't always give them quite that much.

In any case I'm a pretty light sleeper so when they haven't gotten enough exercise, they certainly let me know it at night.  Occasionally I'll wake up to them chewing on their Snak Shak log (which often gets moved all around the cage as they chew) or because they are getting water (my bottle, though wonderful because it doesn't leak at all is TERRIBLE when it comes to noise when its a perfectly silent room at night). Like everyone else has been saying, its going to depend on how light a sleeper you are and how much time you can devote to your rats during the day. 

Personally I like that they tell me when they aren't getting enough attention because I think it helps me to be a better rat owner (although sometimes at 2AM I'm significantly annoyed... I know its my own fault).   :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline aphoeniceus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2008, 04:33:20 AM »
I love having the rats in my room. They get more interaction that way and I get to watch "rat tv" all the time! :yelcutelaugh:

That said, they are very quiet at night and if they are not in the room with me, I can't sleep as well. They do make some noise, but I really need some sort of white noise to stay asleep.  I love the crunching noises they make from chewing on the lab blocks.

Offline RattieLove_84

« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2008, 04:05:17 AM »
When I used to live with my stepdad, I used to keep my rats in my room. With the way things were set up I had no choice but to do that. I had a crew of 15 or so in 4 different cages, and they never kept me awake at all. Usually, they did not make much noise at all unless there was a dissagreement with one of the alphas. I know that the rats are supposed to be most active at night but mine weren't. They seemed to adjust to my schedule as they were always ready for attention when I was up.

With a new baby on the way (anytime now really, I'm 37 weeks) were considering moving things around. As right now we have our room and the rats have theirs. We are thinking of when we get my fiancee's financial aid overflow that we will re-do their room into the baby room and move the rats in here with us. Could not consider it before as we had little money and a very large crew at the time. Now that we only have a total of 10 rats (7 boys, 3 girls) we could manage them in our room. We were down to 3 total but we got some as presents. hehe

Offline JadesDream

• Stormy....TY 4 bringin me into the Rattie World <3
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2008, 10:37:53 AM »
My boys are in my room with me as well  :BlueDumboSmile: They have never woken me up. Actually, nothing wakes me up  :yelcutelaugh: I'm in the process of giving them the whole other side of my room to free range whenever they want. I have the entire attic and i'm making a 3 1/2 ft. wall or so with a swing type door, to seperate the room. It's totally rat proof. no electrical outlets or wires of any kind. I think they're going to just love it! I will post pics when all is done  :BlueDumboSmileTongue:

Care & The Crew
Care & The Crew

proudly owned by 8 ratties;
Storm's Sons; Phoenix, Snow, Thunder, & Rain
My Halloween Babies; Chucky, Freddy, Jason, & Michael!
2 Southern Rescue Dogs; Dunstin & Buddy
My Soul Rat~*~*~RIP Stormy...U will be 4ever Loved & Missed~*~*~

Offline Shazza

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2008, 04:43:42 AM »
i have mine in my room.  i like to hear them eat/play at night and i have wasy access to them whenever i want.  my room is also their play area, which makes it easy to just leave the cage door open and let them come and go as they please.

my mouse is also in my room, however she is atop my dresser and out of rattie contact :]