Author Topic: Hammocks?  (Read 600 times)

Offline Malexis

Hammocks?
« on: December 02, 2008, 07:58:18 PM »
Im starting to make hammocks for my little girl and i was about to put them in the cage but then i was wondering if they need to be washed first? Should i wash all the yards of fleece and flanel first before i even start cutting next time?

Thanks!
Ilovemyfurbabies; Sophie and Baby [ratties] Evie [bunny] Koby [doggy] :)

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
  • "A house is not a home without a pet."
Re: Hammocks?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 09:22:28 PM »
I have never washed mine before putting it in their cage.  I don't think it will hurt. Congrats on making hammocks!  :thumbsup2:

Offline Malexis

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 09:36:56 PM »
Okay thanks, i went ahead and put them in the cage.. She's climbing allll over them :D The only one i've caught her sleeping in is a hammock with a pocket that i made, i forgot strings to hang it so its on the fourth level of her cage and she's all snuggled up in it  :BlueDumboSmile:

These are her first hammocks/ snuggly pouches EVER!! :D She's new to me, so im glad i could give her something soft and snuggly!
Oh and iu taught my self how to make them by hand! they are pretty good, if i do say so myself lol

Offline artsiekat

• Posts Too Much!
    • by artsiekat
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 10:31:32 PM »
Let's see the pictures!

I've never wash my fabric first either, but I think some people do. I would think the cotton and flannel would fray if you washed it before sewing it together.

Offline Malexis

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 10:39:50 PM »
I want to get pictures of my girl, and of her hammocks so i'll try and post them if not tonight then tomorrow night! :)

Offline BrowncoatRider

• Reves
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 11:05:36 PM »
In general I don't think it really matters for the rats if it's washed first but as a rule of thumb with sewing and such you should wash all material before cutting. I accidentally forgot to do this so when I put it in the wash..it shrank...so of course no longer fits so is of no use >.<; all those hours I spent cutting, pinning, and sewing the liners!

Offline Malexis

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 11:13:41 PM »
uh oh :( does fleece or flannel shrink? If i wash it before i cut it, it wont fray will it?

Offline BrowncoatRider

• Reves
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 11:18:31 PM »
It shouldn't fray if it was cut with shearing scissors. Mine hasn't. The only fabric that has frayed is actually the stuff that I get from the dollar tree. I'd wash the fleece and flannel, and especially if cotton is ever used. I believe it was the fleece that shrunk on me.

Offline artsiekat

• Posts Too Much!
    • by artsiekat
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 11:23:42 PM »
I tend to wash everything on warm or cold and most things I don't dry. So the rat stuff doesn't get thrown in the dryer, I let it air dry and nothing has shrunk on me that way. Not cotton, flannel or fleece.

I wash it with a bit of vinegar and hydro peroxide(not too much, it can bleach) on a warm or sometimes cold wash.

Offline tonivan

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 11:25:32 PM »
I make my own hammocks and have many many of them and I dont generally wash mine first.  The rule of thumb is that you should wash fabrics before cutting and sewing becuz of the possibility of shrinkage.  

I buy my flannel and fleece from joanns and dont have problems.  The only time i have any problems and not so bad that i cant use the hammock is from some cotton fabrics.

Offline Malexis

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 11:26:46 PM »
okay, well hopefully since i didnt wash it first i can just air dry it and it wont shrink.. I hope! I'll take your advice artsiekat and wash it on warm or cold and air dry it.

Thanks!

I've only used and cut up 2/6 of my fabrics, so i'll wash all the others tomorrow