Author Topic: Do you think girls can slip through the bars of a Feisty Ferret cage?  (Read 1566 times)

Offline *~Phoenix~*

• Posts Too Much!
So, I'm looking at getting another cage for 8 of my girls (providing intros between the 2 groups go well), and the Feisty Ferret seems to be the cheapest (they have it at my Petsmart, so I wouldn't have to pay shipping...).
My question is, can girls slip through the bars? I KNOW they could slip through my FN, but I'm pretty sure that the bar spacing is 7/8", compared to th FNs 1" spacing.
The girls that would be occupying it are a bit on the small side (with the exception of one BIG girl), too...

What do you guys think?
Home of Daisie, Maizie, Bailie, Maci, Ebony, Kassadee, and Ivy (mice); Chico and Maggie (dogs); Smeagol, Mia (cats); Wildfire (horse); Sullivan (aka Sully) and Jakey (goats); Starlight, Starbright, and Esteban (fish)

Offline Pennytherat

• Posts Too Much!
  • My name is Grace, not Penny! ;)
Re: Do you think girls can slip through the bars of a Feisty Ferret cage?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 03:20:45 AM »
Try finding a space with a bigger (or same) width, like under a door or something. This is how I figured out if Penny could get out of the FN 1" bars. Put them on one side, then you on the other. Make sure the space under the door (or wherever) is the only way across. Stick a tempting rat munchie on one side, and watch to see if they can get through!

(LOL at the image of several rat noses poking out from under the door for a yogie - hehehe!)
I am ratless. Someday I will own rats again.

Rats across the Bridge: Penny, Heidi, Jerry, Teddy, Lucy, Sophie, Silhouette, Jupiter, Ozy, and Rorschach. I love you all and hope we will someday meet again. :heart:

Offline Arda

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 04:39:19 AM »
Yes girls can slip out of the FF bars.  One of my approx 4-6 month old girls got out of the cage twice in one day.  She was trying to tell me the water bottle was empty.  She hasn't done it since.

Offline javakittie

• Posts Too Much!
    • KatsRatMats.etsy.com
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 06:46:05 AM »
I asked about that myself, since I was thinking of buying one. Several people had no issue with the Feisty Ferret and their girls.

Offline LOTR_Ratties

• Posts Too Much!
  • Life ends when we become silent about what matters
    • Zoe's Hammie Haven
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 11:25:48 AM »
All I've got in my FF are my 3 big squishy males, so I'm not much help, sorry. But a lot of it probably depends on the girls' age. Young females may be able to squish through, but adults are probably fine. Penny had a good idea with telling you to find something of the same width and testing it out. Good luck, and I think you'll be quite happy with the FF!

Offline Rmv1983

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 05:58:51 PM »
I have females in my FF, and have only recently had an escapee, but that is with a 6 week old baby who likes to mock the big girls. She stays in the cage....most of the time!  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • We create our own horror; animals have no choice.
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 08:30:12 PM »
I have six girls in my FF, and one is miniature. She either can't get out, or has never tried. Aside from the miniature, I have one that is a small female, and she's very high strung. If one of them would try to get out, it would definitely be her, and she's never escaped.

Offline nevadamoon

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 12:31:45 PM »
I have several young boys (Under 3/4 months) and a few can slip out, but don't.  It seems like once they get to almost 5 months, they're too big to get out without working for it.

I have a few girls that are in a cage with slightly bigger spacing then the FF, and they can just barely slip their heads out (but haven't tried with their bodies.) and they're about 4-6 months old.

Offline Fate Foretold

• Posts Too Much!
  • ♪ You've got a friend in me ♫
    • My Artwork
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 01:03:07 PM »
My boys are 3 months old and haven't been able to slip out.  Personally, I really like this cage.  :)
-Jeanette

Offline zelle

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 02:54:03 PM »
My girls didn't slip out at all but small females have been known to.  This cage isn't worth the pain in the rump to clean however imo.  The levels are wire so you need to cover them with something. Peal and stick tile gets ammonia built up too fast and if you have chewers fleece won't work.  I ended up purchasing metal slabs and cutting to fit the bottoms to fix this problem and they're terrible to get in and out (as are the wire bottoms as only one door on each level opens!).
The Fur kids:
Rats- Pixel, Pandora, Penny and Notch
Cockatiels- Oreo and Rosie

Playing on the Rainbow Bridge: Asuka, Picassa, Squishy and Peanut

Offline Fate Foretold

• Posts Too Much!
  • ♪ You've got a friend in me ♫
    • My Artwork
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 03:13:18 PM »
Oooh, I didn't realize Ferret Nation had plastic platforms for each level.  That would be nice.  Yeah, I just use fleece to cover mine.  Luckily, my boys haven't ruined it yet.  I wonder why they didn't make plastic platforms for the bottoms levels in FF?  Ahh, seems like no matter what cage you get, there's always downsides.
-Jeanette

Offline Rmv1983

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 08:49:03 PM »
The FF has a plastic pan on the bottom, if you don't put the floor in.

Offline zelle

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 11:48:46 PM »
The FF has a plastic pan on the bottom, if you don't put the floor in.

It does but it is flimsy and it's only on the bottom level. When I used that as the primary bottom it kept falling out. The upper level is still barred with no solid ground.  I also like the bars on the bottom level so it holds up the litter pan at the right level. As long as the bars are covered it's great, but good GRIEF what a pain to get those bar portions out to cover and back in again. The entire cage has to be cleaned out before you can turn those things sideways to maneuver them out. The whole cage would be great if they simply put in double doors on each level.
The Fur kids:
Rats- Pixel, Pandora, Penny and Notch
Cockatiels- Oreo and Rosie

Playing on the Rainbow Bridge: Asuka, Picassa, Squishy and Peanut