Author Topic: Hydrogen Peroxiod and Vinegar  (Read 1521 times)

Offline 3ratlover

Hydrogen Peroxiod and Vinegar
« on: December 15, 2008, 10:11:39 PM »
I have herd a lot of you talk about using hydrogen peroxide and vinegar to clean your cages.  How do you use two spray bottles or do you mix it?  Do you spray it and wipe it and rinse it?

Offline Ratsndogs

Re: Hydrogen Peroxiod and Vinegar
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 10:15:54 PM »
Do NOT mix them!  Spray one, then the other (2 separage spray bottles).  Let them sit a few minutes to do their work, then scrub if needed, then rinse.  Easy.

Offline Sorraia

• Posts Too Much!
    • Confessions of a Rat Breeder
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 10:59:04 AM »
As was said, spray them separately, don't mix.

Doing this weekly, there is rarely a need for me to scrub my cages. I love it!
NOM-ology A study in rat nutrition.
http://nom-ology.blogspot.com

Confessions of a Rat Breeder
http://bwr-rats.blogspot.com/

Offline KoalaLou2

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pure love... adopt a PEW
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 11:50:05 AM »
I use this method and it works great.   I use a shower hose and don't have to scrub, the massage function on the showerhead gets it all off with the vinegar/peroxide.
Adoring slave to three rats (Edward, Templeton, and Theodore) and three dogs (Holly and Mia the Greyhounds, Cadie the Brittany)

Angels waiting at the bridge.... Wendi, Josie, Petrie, Minski, Teebs, Dribbles, Milo, and Mr Smuckers, who took my heart with him.  Always remembered, always loved

Offline DorseyClairebelle

• Posts Too Much!
  • Clairezabobber
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 05:08:22 PM »
why not mix them  ???
Owned by Astrid  :duckie: Ro(a)ry :happy7:  Nolan :toothy11:  LuLu :binkybaby: and Scallion :snorting:  and Alba :director:.
                                                RIP darlings Clairebelle :love10: Guin :cat:  Dorsey :book1:  Alba :director: and Abdi :icon_cat:

Offline KoalaLou2

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pure love... adopt a PEW
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 05:50:29 PM »
They do not sterilize to their full extent when mixed together.  Also, make sure to keep the hydrogen peroxide in a dark bottle or it eventually turns to water (some kind of reaction to light).  I buy the large bottles of it and just use a spray thing from an old Windex bottle.  It fits pretty well.
Adoring slave to three rats (Edward, Templeton, and Theodore) and three dogs (Holly and Mia the Greyhounds, Cadie the Brittany)

Angels waiting at the bridge.... Wendi, Josie, Petrie, Minski, Teebs, Dribbles, Milo, and Mr Smuckers, who took my heart with him.  Always remembered, always loved

Offline Sorraia

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 07:02:13 PM »
why not mix them  ???

Hydrogen peroxide and vinegar are both chemicals. Some chemicals don't "play nice" together. These are two that don't.

I could look up the safety sheet if I remembered what they were called (something that started with an "M" I think), but alas I don't. I recall hearing that when mixed these two chemicals make a potentially more potent acid (vinegar is an acid, aka acetic acid) that could be harmful.

Offline Heatherama

• Posts Too Much!
  • Empty
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 07:39:05 PM »
I have one spray bottle with vinegar, and another with peroxide.  The one with the peroxide I have covered in duct tape because you're not supposed to expose the peroxide to light for too long or it will lost potency.  I usually spray the peroxide first to loosen the dirt and crud, let it sit for like 10 minutes, then I spray the vinegar and let it sit also.  I do it outside on the deck with the hose, and I rarely have to scrub anything with this procedure.
"...Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned... ~ Tyler"

Offline mishalaa

• MishisM Rats
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 10:04:46 PM »
Material Safety Data Sheets?

Offline DorseyClairebelle

• Posts Too Much!
  • Clairezabobber
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 11:46:46 PM »
Well I was advised on here when I first became a rat owner to use "hydrogen peroxide and vinegar" to clean cages, so I did-- I bought a spray bottle and mixed the two (because how the heck else was I supposed to interpret that advice?!?) and I've never had problems... everybody needs to be more clear. I mean I would say from my experience that there's nothing to worry about, but if there IS then  :puppy_dog_eyes:  :doh:  :confused:
Owned by Astrid  :duckie: Ro(a)ry :happy7:  Nolan :toothy11:  LuLu :binkybaby: and Scallion :snorting:  and Alba :director:.
                                                RIP darlings Clairebelle :love10: Guin :cat:  Dorsey :book1:  Alba :director: and Abdi :icon_cat:

Offline Sorraia

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 10:19:19 AM »
Material Safety Data Sheets?

That's what it's called, Thanks! It's been some 3 or 4 years since I've had to look one of those up. As you often hear "Use it or lose it".

Offline Sun of Samsa

• Posts Too Much!
    • Leah on Veggies
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 03:25:57 PM »
Mixing hydrogen peroxide (an acid) and vinegar (an acid) creates peracetic acid (a stronger acid). It is "potentially" harmful, but I would only be concerned if you were using a full-on hydrogen peroxide cleaner rather than the weak stuff you buy from the pharmacy. The real problem with mixing the two is that peracetic acid (and I had to look the name up, I forgot!) is not as strong an antimicrobial as peroxide and vinegar are, so essentially you aren't killing as many germs that way.

I only use hydrogen peroxide, a slightly stronger solution that the brown-bottle stuff, and then wash it off very well. I just can't stand the smell of vinegar, it makes me so ill.

Offline Ratty Krazy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 10:01:00 PM »
I used this mixture for awhile but started gagging to the smell of the vinegar so I have given up  :confused:
My rats think you are gross too!!
<:3)~  <:3)~  <:3)~  <:3)~  <:3)~

Offline Pink

• Posts Too Much!
    • Pink's Pretty Premades!
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 10:52:48 AM »
If you spray the vinegar first, and then the hydrogen peroxide it reduces the smell of the vinegar.  But, then you don't get to watch the hydrogen peroxide bubble.

Pink