Author Topic: travel equipment for pet rats?  (Read 389 times)

Offline rattus

travel equipment for pet rats?
« on: December 17, 2008, 08:03:18 PM »
i use a small cloth carrier with wire grid window and wrap it up in a blanket to deal with the cold.  the benefit of the cloth carrier is that they won't get bumped around on anything hard (the bars) and it's easier to wrap them up to keep them warm. however, i have only taken them on short rides.

a family is taking care of them (i'm a teacher) over the break.  they plan to bring them on an hour long ride to long island.  they've never been on that long a trip.  i know they will be ok, but do you think i should tell her to keep them in the small carrier (with bedding) or in the cage?  if she uses the carrier, she will throw in some kind of veggie for moisture - you can't hang a wattle bottle in there. 

or do you think she should put them in the wire cage? 

last time she did do a good job of taking care of them.  but i didn't like that she put them in the trunk of her car (the cage) rather than on her lap to keep them comfortable and talk to them.

Offline chiropteragirl

• Posts Too Much!
Re: travel equipment for pet rats?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 08:31:43 PM »
That is a REALLY bad idea to put rats in the trunk of the car. They could suffocate, or get jolted around and break their necks!

Definitely make the family have the carrier with them in the car, and either strap the carrier with a seat belt, hold it, or secure it somehow.

The rats also might chew through the cloth carrier. Are they big chewers? If they aren't, then I wouldn't worry too much, but if they do like chewing, they might be able to chew through the carrier in an hour.
My fat little cyber rattie:
   () ()
>(_)<
   ('' '')
   (   )~~

Offline Pepper

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 09:06:46 PM »
I definitely vote for the soft carrier and grapes or other moisture is a good idea.  Apples maybe.  I would be concerned about the trunk for temperature and fumes too.  Not a good idea at all for any living creature.

Offline critterchic

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 09:53:08 PM »
I travel a lot with my pets (by car). Never, ever put a living creature in a truck. I bought a travel cage for the boys a couple of weeks ago, but when driving a short distance, an hour, I use the soft sided travel case made for rats. I put in there fleece, peas, grapes and animal crackers. If I stop I give the rats water off my fingers. This is something I get them used to as babies. When I get to my destination they are transferred to an actually cage that I have brought with me. If you are worried that they might chew a hole and escape, get them a small cat carrier.
"This is the beginning of a new day.You have been given this day to use as you will. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it.When tomorrow comes,this day will be gone forever; in it's place is something that you have left behind, let it be something good."

Offline rattus

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 08:15:36 PM »
ok, thanks. 

i want to clarify that the woman did not put them in the trunk for an hour-long drive. that was a short trip within manhattan (where i live).  i didn't like that she did it though, and have let her know not to do that next time.  she says she will hold the soft carrier on her lap for the hour-long trip to long island.  i will tell her about the issue with fumes, etc., to reinforce the point.

i don't think they're big chewers. they don't usually chew on the soft carrier while in transit.  i think the motion makes them unlikely to try that.  they would only try that if they were stuck in the carrier for a very long time, and even then it would take time for them to find a way to get their teeth around an edge.

thanks for the tip on grapes, etc.  good water-holder!