Author Topic: 4 year old and new companion  (Read 2810 times)

Offline lotsorats

• Posts Too Much!
4 year old and new companion
« on: December 30, 2008, 09:39:27 PM »
I have a four year old bunny who I adopted from a rabbit rescue in MO. I used to be able to let her have lots of our of cage time and lots of playtime with me and my cats. However our new dog a rescue is obsessed with her and I know would hurt her. So for her safety her time out is limited. I know she is lonely and bored and I have thought about trying to get her a companion. I am working with a local rabbit rescue for help. So far she hates all other rabbits. Do you think some rabbits are meant to be alone or is there hope. I don't want to stress her out all the time trying to get her bond.

Offline Punkygirl0101

• Posts Too Much!
  • Dogs-Cats-Ferrets-Mice-Turtles-Fish
Re: 4 year old and new companion
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 11:05:19 PM »
Is she spayed?

Rabbits are very hard to bond. You can't just try new rabbits, and if she doesn't get along with them the second they are introduced, give up. It takes a lot of time to bond rabbits.

If she doesn't get a lot of out of cage time, adding another rabbit will be useless, if that rabbit also won't get a lot of out of cage time. Do you have a separate room you could keep her in, and let her get her necessary free range time, away from your dog?
4 Rats-6 Dogs-3 Ferrets-1 Hamster-2 Box turtles-15 Cats (including fosters)

Offline lotsorats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 11:53:57 PM »
Yes she is spayed. I do have a pet room that she gets out of cage time. My cats do play with her which is nice because she truly likes them and enjoys playing with them. Now that the weather is cooler (I am in Phoenix AZ) I have set up a play area in the garage in which she has more room to play and no chance of eatting the carpet. I just feel bad since all my other animals has a buddy of their kind.
When I adopted her the rescue said she did not like most people, children or other rabbits. But she loves cats and dogs. She is not your average bunny

Offline Punkygirl0101

• Posts Too Much!
  • Dogs-Cats-Ferrets-Mice-Turtles-Fish
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 12:04:42 AM »
My rabbits and cats coexist as well.

My male is free range in our laundry/storage room (Which the cats access through a window cat door). And they all snuggle together. Apollo really enjoys the company of the cats. Cats can be just as good of buddies as another bunny could.

And Thumper (my female) lives upstairs free range in my room. She is not too fond of the cats though.
4 Rats-6 Dogs-3 Ferrets-1 Hamster-2 Box turtles-15 Cats (including fosters)

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 07:55:13 PM »
Are you going through Brambley Hedge? I would suggest talking to Erika or Kelly (from the Bunny Basics store in Scottsdale) about doing bunny dates. You can't pick out a bunny for your girl, she needs to pick one out herself  :).

I would suggest BHRR, if you aren't going through them already. I fostered a 10 year old Holland Lop for them that I rescued, we traced it back that he was originally from the rescue. I have had good experience with them and I know that they are pretty full right now.

I feel bad for my 3 year old mixed guy. I know he would love a wifebun around his age or a bit older to cuddle with, but I just don't have the time to bond right now. I have two other rabbits who are 2 year old neutered males. None of my boys are bonded, which I have tried, but it is impossible because their personalities do not clash.

Rabbits are a lot like humans in their ways of dating (as I always put it).....they need to slowly get used to each other to see if they might hit it off, start spending more time together in a neutral space if they do, start spending time at each other's "houses", then eventually move in together and hopefully live happily ever after.