Author Topic: Need some urgent rabbit advice  (Read 2757 times)

Offline Behn

Need some urgent rabbit advice
« on: February 01, 2009, 05:26:45 PM »
I'm actually a rat/cat owner whose neighbor may have abandoned a rabbit in the house I live in.  At this time i have to assume they may come back for it as there are two cats as well.

The rabbit is presently in a very tiny cage that I'm not sure i would even condemn a single hamster to.  Although the rabbit looks healthy it most definitely doesn't look happy or overly energetic.

My question is two fold.  First off what should I do for this rabbit?  Is there a specific treat i can give it, should i let it out to roam a bit etc.  The poor thing just doesn't seem good mentally.  Secondly if these individuals do come back should I be putting up a stink about the living conditions.

My gut instinct is to just claim this poor guy and give him my spare room but I know so little about rabbits that I may be misinterpreting the situation so I don't want to jump all over someone in ignorance.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and if there's any questions I will try to answer as best as possible.

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Need some urgent rabbit advice
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 07:36:13 PM »
How did someone abandon a rabbit inside of your house?

Can you get a picture of the rabbit and the cage it is in? The cage sounds very tiny and the rabbit may be sick from stress.

I would let the rabbit roam around your bathroom to stretch it's legs.

Do you have access to hay?

ETA: Here is a site to learn about rabbits if you are thinking of keeping the bunny: www.rabbit.org
Also, here is a wonderful rabbit forum that is way more active than this one: www.rabbitsonline.net (we are currently down for maintenance right now).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 07:37:47 PM by undergunfire »

Offline Behn

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 09:41:16 AM »
I should have clarified, its a side by side dealy, wasn't left in my side of the building.

Sadly I checked this morning and I guess they came back late and grabbed the animals.  I'm still half tempted to call the humane society on em.  The cage was a typical sized cage you find in a hamster starter kit.  Knowing how big a cage I need for my tiny rats this seemed horribly wrong.

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 07:29:03 PM »
I would definitely call the spca or animal control if you know where their new home is. Explain to them what you saw and that you feel they are providing inadequate housing for the rabbit.