Author Topic: pregnant rabbit: espay vs letting her give birth  (Read 3816 times)

Offline Chelsie

pregnant rabbit: espay vs letting her give birth
« on: December 20, 2008, 02:33:22 AM »
to make a long story short my six year old female english spot ended up with my male today. there's no way this could have happened unless somebody intervened and put them together without me knowing. i don't know how long they were together and i didn't catch them going at it but i have no idea if she's pregnant or not.

here's the deal. should i have her spayed now, or spay her after the possible pregnancy/let her have the babies?
i've heard it's risky for older buns to give birth and go through the spaying procedure but i'm not 100% sure what would be the best for my girl. so i figured i'd ask you guys.

btw she's been relatively healthy her entire life. she's never been sick, injured, etc., etc.

help? and thanks.

Offline nevadamoon

• Posts Too Much!
Re: pregnant rabbit: espay vs letting her give birth
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 03:07:47 PM »
Especially if they were exposed to each other so recently, I'd just go ahead and get her spayed.  Much better in the long run then waiting it out.  (And much better for her health, too.)

Offline Calift

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 03:48:55 PM »
Have her spayed ASAP, and I'd get the male done at the same time. It's good for their health, makes them better pets, and will (as you now know) prevent againest future "accidents". Best wishes!

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 05:53:48 AM »
 Yup I'd definitely get her spayed as it is better for everyone all around. There are *way* too many rabbits needing homes these days. It'd be better to get your female spayed and have her live a healthier life, without the possibility of raising babies. If this has happened one time there are chances it could happen again which would result in more stress for your female, and more stress on the overpopulation problem.

Good luck!

-Melina
-Melina & Crew

Offline nancycccslp

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Mr.Whisper, Teddy Ratsevelt; my first rat friends
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 04:09:11 PM »
Plenty of bunnies get spayed/neutered and do fine.  6 is not that old, but it IS old for babies, not for surgery.  Espay and you never have to worry again.
I miss you and love you Teddy Ratsevelt and Benny.  Thank you for being my heart rats.

It's not the size of the pet in your life, it's the size of the life in your pet

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 07:59:02 PM »
If she has never had babies before, this means her bones have fused and will not budge. If she is allowed to have babies, all will most likely die and the mother has a chance of dying, as well. The babies *might* pass through the birth canal, but they will be squished (aka...pencil kits) to fit through...killing them painfully in the process. There is a high chance the babies will get stuck, killing the mother. There is too much risk for infection, as well.

I would get her spayed ASAP, do not wait, it will only be harder on her if you wait it out. My 10 year old former foster rabbit went through surgery to move his blind eye ball and came out 100% fine.