Author Topic: ~*~UPDATE~*~  (Read 4304 times)

Offline jjimenez113

• My seet lil blanqita
~*~UPDATE~*~
« on: December 29, 2008, 10:44:13 PM »
brake out the hamoaks!!!

ok just to let everyone that helped me know my girls will be getting there new cage saturday from petsmart! still don't know which one though, im gong to look at all of them and see what the best one will be. so watchout saturdaynight ill post a ton of pics for everyone!
ALSO :(, my two babies may be going back as they are still both sneezing! if this happens i will never buy from a petstore again! i may look in to getting a older rattie.

Offline Emymoo

• Posts Too Much!
Re: ~*~UPDATE~*~
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 10:54:00 PM »
First of all, what happened to ordering the purple/green one from ferrer depot? Secondly, DO NOT RETURN THEM TO PETSMART. If they're sick, you take them to the vet. Doesn't petsmart have some sort of policy where they'll see any small animal you've boughten there at the vet clinic inside for free? Thirdly, don't get another, older, rat if you're returning the little ones. Chances are the reason they are sneezing in the first place is because you're keeping them in those tanks.
The dogs: Sara and Lola. The kitties: Emy and Molly
Rest in peace my sweeties
 Bella, Riley, Fuzz, Juno and Frederick <3

Offline jjimenez113

• My seet lil blanqita
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 11:32:41 PM »
tryed to order from ferret depote but payment wouldn't go though come to fing out pogo chard me FOUR times for the one game i brought but its a good thing because my parents are bying me a cage for my b-day this weekend so ill now have $150 to spend and i decide to go t a store so i can look at the cages up close.

I got a new three leve desk for x-mas or should i say the ratties did lol. they love it i leave the cage open and they an come and go all day ;D

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 11:59:57 PM »
You can come very close to $150 if you bought a one level Critter Nation at PetSmart.

Offline jjimenez113

• My seet lil blanqita
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 12:10:58 AM »
i know!! i have my eye on that one because later on down the rood i can add to it! would the bar sizing work with young females? also how much are your hamocks i want to get a ton since they love their felt one so much!

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 12:18:41 AM »
Yep, the bar spacing works for young females, they will not be able to escape! I have 18 day old babies in my CN and they can't get out  :thumbsup2:.

You can click the banner in my signature to go to my website for critter bed pricing.

Offline andie3131

• Posts Too Much!
  • Harley RIP
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 12:55:49 AM »
I agree if you have $150.00 for a cage I would definitely go with a CN.  I bought this one at petsmart  http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3057119  and it's good size but the CN I ordered is way better.  If you do order the CN just becareful closing the doors and make sure all your ratties are inside not trying to get out.

http://www.allpetfurniture.com/Midwest-Homes-For-Pets-161-MDW1243.html  $139.99 with free shipping

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3402796   $145.99  with $6.00 flate rate shipping
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 01:03:03 AM by andie3131 »

Offline Ratty Krazy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 01:09:36 AM »
Actually from what I've read you can NOT add on to the CN. Its not like the FN. It does hold 6 ratties tho (I'm pretty sure) and 6 is a good number to have.

The CN's bar spacing is PERFECT for little females tho. I want one just for that purpose. I have adult females but a couple are very petite.

I would definitley NOT return the babies to the pet store. U have no idea what happens to them after that. If ur rat or rats get sick they need a vet. If u had a human baby and it became sick would u return it to the hospital and request another one? 
My rats think you are gross too!!
<:3)~  <:3)~  <:3)~  <:3)~  <:3)~

Offline jjimenez113

• My seet lil blanqita
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 01:14:07 AM »
the cage for $139.00 is the one im hoping to get love the space at the bottom thats a big plus in my tiny apartment. do you think i will find it at petco or petsmart?

Offline andie3131

• Posts Too Much!
  • Harley RIP
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 01:20:12 AM »
You have to order th CN on line it's not in stores I tried looking.  Petsmart has it but only on line and its $145.99 plus 6.00 shipping.  I ordered mine from allpetfurniture.com they are the ones that have it for $139.99 with free shipping.  It arrives rather quickly in the mail, just a few days or so.

Offline Emymoo

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 01:43:23 AM »
If u had a human baby and it became sick would u return it to the hospital and request another one? 

Haha that is exactly the metaphor I was going to use! But I decided it was too dramatic haha

But seriously, take the babies to the VET not back to Petsmart.

Go with the CN. It will have loads of space for four rats.

Offline jjimenez113

• My seet lil blanqita
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 01:49:55 AM »
to tell you the truth im worried they will get everyone sick! just like when i adopted my kitten she got a cold and her and fat cat had to see the vet. meds and all came to $75. with being laid off i don't know if my pockets can handle that. what do u think a check up would be four all four? i just learned the whole vet fund idea and havent hand the funds to start it.

Offline Emymoo

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 02:29:57 AM »
My vet charges $50 for the first rat and $45 for every additional rat. One of the vets at my clinic is super nice and only charges for the first rat and everyone else is complimentary. It could run anywhere from $75-150 for meds all, but its not your rats fault you didn't look into quarentining and such before you brought the babies home so they shouldn't suffer for it. What bedding do you keep them on? That can agitate respitory systems. Have the babies had any porpheline(red stuff around their noses and/or eyes)? Keeping them in the aquriums is probably worsening whatever respitory distress they might have, and could be the source of all the sneezing. Get a new cage pronto(as in within a week or two at most) and hopefully the better circulation will solve your problems

Offline jjimenez113

• My seet lil blanqita
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 09:52:43 AM »
right now they are on paper towels that i change about 3-4 times a day and they will have a new cage saturday! ;D as for the porpheline the babies don't have any with their sneezing, it sems like they are fine until i pick them up? is there such a thing as nervous sneezing lol.
now blanca will have a little porpheline in her one eye from time to time i clean her up and she is good as newbut then a week later its back, peanut her sister is fine though.

Offline Ratty Krazy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 10:09:17 AM »
ALL new rats (especially pet store rats) need to be quarantined properly. If all ur ratties become sick then it can definitely become costly.
My rats think you are gross too!!
<:3)~  <:3)~  <:3)~  <:3)~  <:3)~

Offline Emymoo

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 01:24:00 PM »
I would invest in a bag of Carefresh. You'tr getting a CN correct? You wouldn't be able to use bedding on the floor anyway with one of those, being that their is no pan, so using fleece liners on the base and shelf with litter boxes filled with Carefresh would be most effective for that and would helo to keep your rats home cleaner. Long story short: get the new cage with better insulation and change to Carefresh(or something similiar). If the sneezes persist after a week or so, go to the vet. By the way, what food are you feeding them? That can effect their health as well.

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 01:59:21 PM »
I prefer Martins Cages for rats of all ages.  :)     And do you have a rescue in your area where you can get healthy rats?  :)

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
  • "A house is not a home without a pet."
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 06:21:48 PM »
If your going to petsmart and they don't carry a CN and you don't want to wait for shipping you could purchase a SP Exotics. Most petsmarts carry them in stock and they have the proper bar spacing for babies and i think would be adequate space for 4 girls but no more.

If they are living in a tank that could be what is causing their health to deteriorate. I would get them a new cage ASAP.
Also I would also like to know what you are feeding them. Their diet also plays a big role in their health and could cause health problems.

Lauren

BTW SP Exotics are usually $99 or less if they are on sale. You could use the extra money from the cage and take them to the vet to get seen. Good Luck  :thumbsup2:

Offline jjimenez113

• My seet lil blanqita
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 07:53:12 PM »
NO MATTER WHAT, CN OR NO CN IM BUYING THEM A CAGE ON SATURDAY!!!! I love my ratties but am very sorry for rushing in to them! :doh: :( if i cant find what im looking for then ill definitly check out the SP Exotics. as far as food my rats get a bowl of hammy food which i was told they eat from the petstore they came from. but the othere day i brought them home the real rattie food, looks like chunks but they don't seem to like it much. they also cet baby carrets lettic apples real any veggies we have around then when they are out to play i give them plain cherrios and sun dry strawberrys

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 08:07:17 PM »
Do you know what brand of food it is? Kaytee makes blocks but they are very low quality. Petsmart also carries Mazuri Lab Blocks in an orange bag and they are a decent food for rats. You could also supplement them with a homemade mix (suebees) or something similar, along with the veggies you are already giving them. I just yesterday bought all the makings of the suebees mix and it cost about $25 all together. I mix it all in a large tub and it lasts me quite a while (3-4 months).  I give them about 1/2 cup a day, and i keep their lab blocks full all the time.

Offline jjimenez113

• My seet lil blanqita
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2008, 08:18:01 PM »
it is called 8in1 remium pet rat & mouse food. ihave heard of the suebee thing ill have to check it out. woohoo my new ferret depot mag just came in! i wish they had a rat depot! im do you know how sick of looking at adorible hammy thing when they make nothing like that for rats? and rats are way nicer then hammys.

Offline arumberg

• Posts Too Much!
    • The Rat Lounge
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2008, 08:23:07 PM »
Blech! My mom had bought the 8 in 1 for me ("You said they didn't have anything for rats at Walmart. Here, I bought them this.") At first my boys really liked it. I had mixed it in with some other crappy food I had and gave them a lot of other stuff to make up for it. They liked it so much that I decided to buy it again. Now my boys won't touch the stuff. I again have it mixed in with my Suebee's mix, but they leave it all behind. I end up throwing it out every time. I really want to make a trip to petsmart or order something online to get them something better and mroe healthy for them.

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2008, 08:24:14 PM »
Here is a link to the suebees mix http://www.ratsrule.com/diet.html
I would invest in the Mazuri Blocks, as the 8 in 1 aren't that good, but it is better than what you were feeding them before so good job at making the corrections!

Offline jjimenez113

• My seet lil blanqita
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2008, 08:29:53 PM »
i went t walmart to day and all they had was carefresh for like $15 and pine. what about like ferret litter or rabbite does that work?

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2008, 08:45:42 PM »
You can use Yesterdays News (ferret litter) as bedding. Other brands include Soft-Sorbent and Sunseed. I used to use Soft-Sorbent regularly in all my cages, and last week they were out of the large bags so i bought a bag of Sunseed, a very large bag. I loved it!!! I definitely think i will keep using it!