Author Topic: Critter Nation pics! Everybody post your CNs here!  (Read 829736 times)

Offline Ratlover101

Re: Critter Nation pics! Everybody post your CNs here!
« Reply #150 on: January 18, 2009, 09:19:41 PM »
Drache - I LOVE YOUR ROOM!!!
How come everybody on GM has beautiful walls? Eh? Ehhhh? I have dark purple on my walls, but no texture. I think I should add something else so it's less boring... like stripes, or sponging, like your walls. It's so dark in there... *makes mental note to repaint walls a light green and add texture*
And I love the cage, too ;)

Aww man I LOVE your cage! I also love your room full of cages and animals! lol. May I asked what that room is filled with? As in, what/how many kinds of animals do you have in there? Looks fantastic!

Offline Drache

• The Crittery
« Reply #151 on: January 18, 2009, 09:42:35 PM »
lol thanks!

Let's see. On the left of that picture in the red/white cage on the dresser I have my foster boys. There are four of them, two of which are already adopted. In the CN cage I have 6 boys and 6 girls. In the Superpet Multi-Level Deluxe next to the rats, there are three ferrets, and in the black cage next to them I have a prairie dog and a richardson's ground squirrel who live together. On top of the PD/RGS cage I have two chinese dwarf hamsters and a kangaroo rat. And I also have two female degus and their five babies who are all adopted. And aside from them, I have a pair of SI Eclectus, an Amazon, two great danes, two smaller dogs, and 4 cats. :)

PM me if you need help joining!

Offline Pennytherat

• Posts Too Much!
  • My name is Grace, not Penny! ;)
« Reply #152 on: January 19, 2009, 12:48:59 AM »
Morepictureslesschat!  :BlueDumboSmileTongue: Chatting is fine, but I wanna see these awesome cages xD
I am ratless. Someday I will own rats again.

Rats across the Bridge: Penny, Heidi, Jerry, Teddy, Lucy, Sophie, Silhouette, Jupiter, Ozy, and Rorschach. I love you all and hope we will someday meet again. :heart:

Offline Heatherama

• Posts Too Much!
  • Empty
« Reply #153 on: January 19, 2009, 05:42:37 AM »
Don't worry Penny, tomorrow is massive cleaning day....you know, the one that takes about 6 hours.  At least mine does.   ::)  So I'll have a really nice pink explosion for you.   ;D

Oh yeah, and a really lovely MRR Wodent Wheel that's pretty pink and lavender that hasn't been TOUCHED!   :doh:  Anyone need a pink wheel?  Schrute????  Did you order one already?   :poke:
"...Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned... ~ Tyler"

Offline Ratlover101

« Reply #154 on: January 19, 2009, 07:33:46 AM »
lol thanks!

Let's see. On the left of that picture in the red/white cage on the dresser I have my foster boys. There are four of them, two of which are already adopted. In the CN cage I have 6 boys and 6 girls. In the Superpet Multi-Level Deluxe next to the rats, there are three ferrets, and in the black cage next to them I have a prairie dog and a richardson's ground squirrel who live together. On top of the PD/RGS cage I have two chinese dwarf hamsters and a kangaroo rat. And I also have two female degus and their five babies who are all adopted. And aside from them, I have a pair of SI Eclectus, an Amazon, two great danes, two smaller dogs, and 4 cats. :)

WOW  :o Thats heaven for me! lol but a prarie dog and a squirrel? Never heard of those ones before! And whats a kangaroo rat? I have also never heard that one before  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • We create our own horror; animals have no choice.
« Reply #155 on: January 19, 2009, 10:40:51 AM »
Schrute????  Did you order one already?   :poke:

They don't have the pretty pink and lavender. I looked. :P

Offline JTO_

• Posts Too Much!
  • Got rats?
« Reply #156 on: January 19, 2009, 10:47:42 AM »
I think she wants to give hers to you, Schrute! 

Offline Heatherama

• Posts Too Much!
  • Empty
« Reply #157 on: January 19, 2009, 09:35:25 PM »
Schrute????  Did you order one already?   :poke:

They don't have the pretty pink and lavender. I looked. :P

They just don't touch it....not even to store food in.  Just totally ignore it.   :-[
"...Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned... ~ Tyler"

Offline Pennytherat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #158 on: January 21, 2009, 01:40:40 AM »
*performs CPR on topic*
Don't die, I know there's more people with gorgeous CNs out there :p

Rats across the Bridge: Penny, Heidi, Jerry, Teddy, Lucy, Sophie, Silhouette, Jupiter, Ozy, and Rorschach. I love you all and hope we will someday meet again. :heart:

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
« Reply #159 on: January 21, 2009, 01:48:31 AM »
Maybe sometime in August or September I'll be able to post one!  ;)

Offline Heatherama

• Posts Too Much!
  • Empty
« Reply #160 on: January 21, 2009, 01:49:15 AM »
We did a half cleaning when we got home from Pittsburgh today.  They are confined to the bottom half because of a fix we need to do on the top half.  Didn't even notice a bar that wasn't connected.  If the girls discovered that and moved it, they'd be able to squish out.   :o   And I can't deal with 3 pregnant ladies.  So my hubby is going to jerry rig something when he gets home from work at 2am...ugh...tomorrow...or, actually, the day after tomorrow.  Oh well.  The ladies have enough room.  We really were so tired after today we just didn't have the energy to do anything but the essentials on the cages.  He's sleeping now and I'm slowly taking my pills one at a time.  The band got tightened today, so I can eat about as much as a small jar of baby food.   :yelcutelaugh:

So when the cage is all fixed and I get them some new things made up, cause my girls like to CHEW like mad, I'll put some pretty pink pics up like I promised you Penny.

Offline Pennytherat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #161 on: January 21, 2009, 01:58:04 AM »
Hehehe, OK Heatherama. The band? What do you mean?
I know you have... Lupus, is it? So I hope you're feeling better soon :)
I'm working backwards on saving up  :o My Mom made me pay for half of Penny's bedding... :( Now I'm 10 bucks back. 13 dollars... I don't think Penny will live to see a CN at this rate!
OH YEAH, and I found some of those fantastic baby teething rings! She likes to try and sit on them when they're strung through her cage ::) Silly rat.

Offline Heatherama

• Posts Too Much!
  • Empty
« Reply #162 on: January 21, 2009, 02:03:38 AM »
Well now I can't really fault your mom...your rat, your responsibility. 

Back in October I had lap band surgery, but it wansn't tightened until today.  So I could still eat a lot, as of today, I can barely get sips of water down, and I'm taking one pill at a time.  I take a lot for the lupus and other things, so it's a slow process.   :yelcutelaugh:

Have you thought about using fleece blankets for Penny?  They have 30 inch X 30 inch ones in different colors and sometimes some really nice patterns at Dollar Trees.  That might be cheaper than buying bedding all the time for her.  I'm also a big fan of Goodwill or Salvation Army stores, you can get blankets there for bedding, and kid's clothing you can cut sleeves and pant legs and use them for hammocks.   :wink5:

Sorry for straying too far off topic here....

Offline Pennytherat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #163 on: January 21, 2009, 02:13:31 AM »
Yes, I know... but we had an agreement right before we got Penny - Mom and Dad pay for the essentials (food, bedding) and I pay for the initial cage, toys, etc. I do understand why we strayed from that, because we hardly have money to spare, but I am naturally unhappy if my CN fund is dented :P

I've considered using scraps for bedding... or newspaper, but I don't want to dip that low yet. Newspaper, I presume, is hard on rat feet. And noisy. And smelly. I make her hammocks out of jeans and fleece blankets all the time, don't worry :P
Isn't fleece dusty though?  ???

It's OK Heather, If it still can fit in the Home Squeak Home thread, it's fine for here :P Plus it keeps the thread alive...

Offline Drache

• The Crittery
« Reply #164 on: January 21, 2009, 02:23:49 AM »
I've never noticed fleece to be dusty. It sure as heck isn't nearly as dusty as Carefresh!

Offline Heatherama

• Posts Too Much!
  • Empty
« Reply #165 on: January 21, 2009, 02:30:38 AM »
Fleece is one of the best choices in my personal opinion.  I wrap all the shelves of the FN and CN in it.  The smaller shelves are wrapped with Dollar Tree blankets, and the larger ones are usually wrapped with either Goodwill fleece blankets that I've cut to size (you can get twin / queen / and rarely even king size fleece things there that you can cut up and use)   :thumbsup2:  I also got some cheapo flannel from WalMart, nice patterns too.  Some of the same ones they have at Joann's for $6 a yard but I paid about $2.50 a yard at Walmart.  And I sew the $2 a yard fleece onto the back of it.  The color doesn't matter, it's just there to be soft and absorb pee. 

newspaper's not a good idea.  As soon as it's wet the ink will run all over poor little Penny.

Another thing about fleece is that when it's cut or chewed, it doens't have threads that fray and can end up wrapping around a rattie's foot, tail, or even worse, their neck.   :(  A lot of people use fleece here for bedding and hammocks.  Also, Carefresh can have mites or lice in it.  Most people who use it here freeze it before they put it in a cage.

I'd guess fleece would be your best option.  For $1 a blanket, and you can reuse them.....can't beat it.  And if she chews them up, then they can be stuffed into houses to keep her warm.   :thumbsup2:

Offline Pennytherat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #166 on: January 21, 2009, 02:40:37 AM »
Hmmm... I might consider going for fleece instead of carefresh!
And I don't think I could stand having Penny soaked in wet, inky pee! Oh dear.
I wonder if it's cheaper then carefresh? With carefresh, I can get a bag that lasts her a month and a half for $20. Fleece is supposed to be changed weekly, I presume? Hmmm...
Mom doesn't like taking me to the dollar tree, goodwill, fabric stores, and pet stores for some reason -_<
I wonder if she'd make me pay for fleece if she knew it was for bedding?

Offline Drache

• The Crittery
« Reply #167 on: January 21, 2009, 04:13:43 AM »
Fleece can be washed in the washing machine. So even though you have to change it every week, all you have to do is put the old one in the wash and put a fresh one in there. I can get fleece blankets at Value Village or Goodwill for $1-$4 and cute them to the size I need and they pretty much last forever since my rats don't chew them very bad.

Buying new fleece can be more expensive. I think it's usually about $4.99 for a yard.

Offline rodent_girl_1985

• Posts Too Much!
    • TinyDreamerzzzBezzz
« Reply #168 on: January 21, 2009, 02:25:44 PM »
Fleece can be washed in the washing machine. So even though you have to change it every week, all you have to do is put the old one in the wash and put a fresh one in there. I can get fleece blankets at Value Village or Goodwill for $1-$4 and cute them to the size I need and they pretty much last forever since my rats don't chew them very bad.

Buying new fleece can be more expensive. I think it's usually about $4.99 for a yard.

JoAnn's usually sells solid fleece for about 7.99 and 8.99 a yard, but they also always have sales going. The printed fleece is upwards of 14.99 a yard.
I've been buying cheap blankets as well to use as liners/hammocks.
Hancock's fabrics had a sale going on they solid fleece a while back, I think it was 2.99 a yrad. They might still have the sale going.

Offline caleppert

« Reply #169 on: January 21, 2009, 02:36:28 PM »
Right now Hobby Lobby is selling their fleece for 30% off.  I just went out and picked some up.  Solids are normally 6.99 and prints 9.99 (without sale).  A yard of fabric can go a long way.

I don't speak for everyone, but even though my floors are covered in fleece, I still have a litter pan for the rats to go to the bathroom in.  You'll still need bedding/litter for that.  I use Yesterday's News with a layer of CareFresh on top.  I think YN absorbs smells better, but the rats are more likely to flip it around everywhere without the layer of CF.

Offline rodent_girl_1985

• Posts Too Much!
    • TinyDreamerzzzBezzz
« Reply #170 on: January 21, 2009, 03:23:15 PM »
Right now Hobby Lobby is selling their fleece for 30% off.  I just went out and picked some up.  Solids are normally 6.99 and prints 9.99 (without sale).  A yard of fabric can go a long way.

I don't speak for everyone, but even though my floors are covered in fleece, I still have a litter pan for the rats to go to the bathroom in.  You'll still need bedding/litter for that.  I use Yesterday's News with a layer of CareFresh on top.  I think YN absorbs smells better, but the rats are more likely to flip it around everywhere without the layer of CF.

I use a litter pan in mine as well. Not that it does much good. They poop in it, but I have a rat that stashes their litter (Yesterday's News) along with their poop :doh:

Offline Heatherama

• Posts Too Much!
  • Empty
« Reply #171 on: January 21, 2009, 04:30:24 PM »
WalMart......$2 a yard for solid fleece.....maybe I'm just a cheapo, but 30% off isn't good when the original price is over $10 a yard.   :confused:

Offline Pennytherat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #172 on: January 21, 2009, 05:21:46 PM »
I think I might just stick to carefresh... for now, at least. I've never had a problem with dust or mites. I freeze it before I use it and it keeps odors down pretty well.
I'll try fleece though, whenever a purple fleece blanket shows up at goodwill for $2.50, I'll try it out! I'll have to restrain myself from making it into a hammock though  :-\
Money is just one big pain in the butt problem. S=

Offline rodent_girl_1985

• Posts Too Much!
    • TinyDreamerzzzBezzz
« Reply #173 on: January 21, 2009, 11:41:17 PM »
WalMart......$2 a yard for solid fleece.....maybe I'm just a cheapo, but 30% off isn't good when the original price is over $10 a yard.   :confused:

You aren't a cheapo, believe me I do the same thing. I only buy fleece when it's on sale (more than 30%).

Offline Pennytherat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #174 on: January 22, 2009, 12:38:31 AM »
I managed to get baby wipes and wiffle balls for Penny, but nothing else... Mom came too.
I didn't get a chance to look at fleece blankets or anything :( she already thought I was weird for buying baby wipes and wiffle balls for a rat with my own money. She would have told me to save my money for something I REALLY want.  :doh: