Author Topic: Critter Nation pics! Everybody post your CNs here!  (Read 980583 times)

Offline Madmartigan

Re: Critter Nation pics! Everybody post your CNs here!
« Reply #200 on: February 01, 2009, 10:48:59 AM »
And here I am, it's March, and I have four dollars in change.  :doh: I really suck at stuff like that...

March!!!!! LoL did I sleep through February! ?  J/k Pennytherat that's what happens when we get posting in the middle of the night  :cheeky:

Offline Kaida

« Reply #201 on: February 01, 2009, 12:20:29 PM »
Oh wow!!! I want a CN. I've never heard of one before I joined here today. They are soo big and awesome, and all you're set ups are soo cool. I'm definitely going to start putting more stuff in mine. Im going to make a hammock tonight I think. And line a box with something for them.

But I don't get it, why do you all use felt (it is felt right?) and fleece on the floor and platforms?

Ive never seen anyone do that before today! I thought everyone just used bedding... Don't they just pee on the fleece floor though and make it smell really bad? I have my rats in my room so I'd have to clean them out every 3 days probably if I had fabric covering things... I suppose you have two covers and then you swap them everytime you clean the cage?

<----Click us pwease! :)

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • We create our own horror; animals have no choice.
« Reply #202 on: February 01, 2009, 12:31:50 PM »
The fleece is used because there is no way to use bedding in a FN/CN unless you buy specially made deep pans. :) It's easy to clean, also. Just do some daily maintenance (removing food/poops/etc) and then wash and change out the fleece when needed. I don't know if anyone actually uses felt... most people use fleece or flannel, or some people even use rugs/towels. You have to be careful with these, however, because sometimes they might have holes and the rats' toes could get caught.

I used to buy specially made covers until I realized that it's really not worth $50 for them to just chew everything up. Now I just buy lots of fleece and use binder clips to keep the fleece down. Most people either buy custom made pan/shelf liners or just buy fleece and make-shift their own. ;)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 12:34:56 PM by Schrute »

Offline Kaida

« Reply #203 on: February 01, 2009, 12:41:15 PM »
Wow that's awesome. I think I might do that for my platforms anyway. I like it. But I have a deep enough base.

I couldn't tell if it was fleece or felt from the pictures, but I guess its fleece. They kind of have the same properties anyway.

Oooh I think I'll have fun tonight! Ive got two fleece blankets I dont use, and I wont use anymore as it's getting to be spring, so I can cut them up and sew a few things together to make some hammocks. Yay!. After I've done my homework I think. *sigh*

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
  • "A house is not a home without a pet."
« Reply #204 on: February 01, 2009, 01:44:28 PM »
Ok here is my new setup for this week! I made an entirely new set yesterday, and i finally figured out how to use grommets so now it is much easier to hang hammies. I also am using towels for the first time to line the pans. Just want to see if they work as well and if they get chewed less because i usually use fleece.

Well here are the pics:

One GIANT standard hammie

Bottom

Whole cage
:)

Offline Kaida

« Reply #205 on: February 01, 2009, 02:04:53 PM »
Wow you're cage is awesome! I love the green and pink hammie next to Nemo. Im going to try and make one of those tonight! You're rat looks very cute in their green box :)

Hey, what are grommets?

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #206 on: February 01, 2009, 02:30:14 PM »
Thanks! Grommets are the little metal holes that are in the corners of the hammies. In the 4th pic down in my pics you can see them on the standard hammock and on the tube in the backround.

Offline dani.

• Owned by 2 rats : Laverne and Shirley
« Reply #207 on: February 01, 2009, 02:34:55 PM »
 :( I ned one of these cages soooooo bad, but with myself trying to save up for college, I'm not sure it's in the budget :(

Offline Kaida

« Reply #208 on: February 01, 2009, 02:52:49 PM »
Oh I see the grommets now! I think I'll need something like that to make my hammock. Hmm...

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • We create our own horror; animals have no choice.
« Reply #209 on: February 01, 2009, 03:50:19 PM »
Oooh I love how bright everything is! And I'm in love with that mushroom fabric. I've never seen any like that, it's really cool!

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pick the adoption option!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
« Reply #210 on: February 01, 2009, 03:51:58 PM »
I've been meaning to get some of that mushroom fabric.  It's so different!  I love anything retro-ish  :D  Your cage looks adorable, Lauren!
  <~~ Add Chelsey's Cozies on Facebook!  :)

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #211 on: February 01, 2009, 03:54:19 PM »
Thanks! I love that fabric! It has so many colors in it and it does have a vintage look to it!

ETA: Schrute, i got the fabric at Jo-Ann's if you were wondering. Its cotton and was only $4.69 a yard, which is pretty good compared to their other cottons.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 03:56:22 PM by Lauren_22 »

Offline baschlais

• Forum Enabler
« Reply #212 on: February 01, 2009, 05:39:27 PM »
Such fun sewing and decorating ideas everyone has!  My mother just donated her old sewing machine, so I'm going to give it a whirl this week.  As a complete arts-and-crafts idiot, it should be a pretty wild ride...  Thankfully, the rats are mild critics.   :P  Thanks all for sharing pics of your beautiful set ups!

Kaida, also consider cotton flannel on top of fleece.  The top layer of flannel is more absorbent, but the bottom layer of fleece gives added soft cushion for lil' rattie footers.
Brenda (owned by Zuzu, Pan, and Pelli)

Offline Pennytherat

• Posts Too Much!
  • My name is Grace, not Penny! ;)
« Reply #213 on: February 01, 2009, 07:18:45 PM »
Lauren_22 - Where did you get that plastic basket with holes in it? I can't find it at walmart D:
I just got back from an amazing shopping trip. I found rawhide chews (which Penny was intent on stashing instead of chewing :P), and new PJs, which means I can cut up my old ones for a cute hammockS! I also got some of those little balls with bells in them. $0.79! Gotta love walmart!
OOH OOH! I forgot! I'm excited - I hope my dad doesn't see this- but my Mom is giving dad a sowing machine for his birthday! We found one at goodwill a few weeks ago, and he almost bought it, but I convinced him otherwise. The next day, I told Mom and she bought it for him! Dad's really hard to get presents for (he never makes it completely clear what he wants), so Mom always pounces on stuff he really wants.
Did I mention he hardly sows? The last time I saw him sewing something was when he stitched up a hole in a sock. He's never needed a machine for anything. Which means it's probably going to sit in our garage... free for my usage!  :D On March 11th, I will no longer have to hand stitch anything!  :hyper:
I am ratless. Someday I will own rats again.

Rats across the Bridge: Penny, Heidi, Jerry, Teddy, Lucy, Sophie, Silhouette, Jupiter, Ozy, and Rorschach. I love you all and hope we will someday meet again. :heart:

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #214 on: February 01, 2009, 07:28:08 PM »
I got the little green basket at the Dollar Tree  :thumbsup2:

Offline Pennytherat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #215 on: February 01, 2009, 07:37:02 PM »
No way! Dollar tree? I was expecting target for like, $5.00!  :hyper:

Rats across the Bridge: Penny, Heidi, Jerry, Teddy, Lucy, Sophie, Silhouette, Jupiter, Ozy, and Rorschach. I love you all and hope we will someday meet again. :heart:

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #216 on: February 01, 2009, 08:22:58 PM »
Nope, the Dollar Tree has tons of little baskets, and all of them are brightly colored. This particular basket came in purple, lime green, yellow, and sky blue. I bought a purple and lime green, but i will probably go back and get the other two colors. They also sell nice hard placemats, that i use under my food dishes. You can see the red one in my cage pics, but i also have a blue, and purple one.

Offline Pennytherat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #217 on: February 01, 2009, 09:04:34 PM »
Ooooh, I'm definitely going to Dollar Tree!! =D

Offline unword

• Ritten
  • nom nom nom
« Reply #218 on: February 02, 2009, 12:22:32 AM »
I would love to get a single level CN, but I want a deep pan for bedding.  Something at least 3" tall to keep litter inside the cage.  Is there a place to buy these or does a person have to make one?  I dont know how Id even begin that!  I wonder if martin's would sell a pan to fit...

My two girls are in a petco rat maner at the momment but they are just babies.
http://www.petco.com/product/106171/PETCO-Rat-Manor-Habitat.aspx
Its a nice cage and all, but eh.  Id like a CN.
Loved by: Etsy and Midge (rats), Abby and Gus (cats), and Ralphie (pomeranian).
RIP: Milo, Bunkey, Pete, Bandit, Ernie, Mr. Pip, Scarface, Milton, Maddie, Emma, Stitch, Mel and Simon.

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #219 on: February 02, 2009, 12:27:58 AM »
Here is a link that talked about deep pans
http://www.goosemoose.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,118/forum,rat/topic,4050016.0

There is a company that makes the deep pans for CN/FN, i think it is called BASS or something.

Offline unword

• Ritten
  • nom nom nom
« Reply #220 on: February 02, 2009, 12:56:12 AM »
Here is a link that talked about deep pans
http://www.goosemoose.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,118/forum,rat/topic,4050016.0

There is a company that makes the deep pans for CN/FN, i think it is called BASS or something.

Looks like you have to paint them though?

Has anyone tried to use a 24" x 36 " x 2.5" Dura Tray (PAN-218) from martins?
Loved by: Etsy and Midge (rats), Abby and Gus (cats), and Ralphie (pomeranian).
RIP: Milo, Bunkey, Pete, Bandit, Ernie, Mr. Pip, Scarface, Milton, Maddie, Emma, Stitch, Mel and Simon.

Offline JuliesZoo74

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #221 on: February 02, 2009, 06:19:50 AM »
I think that the doors will not close.  I have a 24x36 pan and it fit in the cage, but the doors wouldn't close.

Offline Arda

« Reply #222 on: February 02, 2009, 06:41:48 AM »
Also a 3" pan from Bass is an additional $6.00.  It is a special order. 

Offline JuliesZoo74

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #223 on: February 03, 2009, 03:50:04 PM »
Cleaned the cage today.  New pics!

Offline Amaya

« Reply #224 on: February 03, 2009, 05:11:01 PM »
@baschlais: Where did you find the purple bowl with the pink rat/mouse on it?
Pet(s): Rocket the bunny and 2 dwarf rat girls - Crystal and Suzie Snowflake