Author Topic: Critter Nation pics! Everybody post your CNs here!  (Read 995261 times)

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pick the adoption option!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
Re: Critter Nation pics! Everybody post your CNs here!
« Reply #975 on: July 08, 2009, 11:47:39 PM »
Dog food doesn't have the nutrients that rats need, since it's, well... made for dogs  :)  Rats need a rat-specific food for their staple, which can be supplemented with high-quality dog food and a grain mix.  If they're fed just dog food and a grain mix, they're not getting all the vitamins and nutrients their body requires.

Which kind of sucks, since HT is so low quality (like all other lab blocks), and Oxbow isn't very palatable to rats.
  <~~ Add Chelsey's Cozies on Facebook!  :)

Offline TankGirl9008

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #976 on: July 09, 2009, 11:49:12 AM »
Oh, not at all.  Even if the local store around here carried Pedigree, which they don't, I wouldn't feed it to them.  I only use dog food as a treat and I only put so much in there so they could have something to nibble on while I took pics and filled their water bottles.  =)  I tried to find a dog food with as low a protien percentage as possible for a treat and that's it.  My ratties get fed Harlan Blocks 2x a day (that I drive an hour+ 1 way to get from a pet store I order it from) along with a dog food, dry low-sugar cereal, nuts, whole grain pasta, and other good for them muchies for lunch as their snack as well as vitamins added to their water.  Don't fret.  My rats are happy, healthy, and extremely well fed.  Thanks for the concern though.  :)

Sorry, just one more nit picky thing! :doh: It's not a good idea to add vitamins to your rats water, if the water tastes funny to them (not like water) they wont drink as much as they need. Please give them plain old water, it's better for them! And thanks for being such a good sport about our concern, as always, we're thinking about the rat's health! :thumbsup2:
Owned by one cat, Sable 19 years

Offline synelovator

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #977 on: July 09, 2009, 04:17:20 PM »
Dog food doesn't have the nutrients that rats need, since it's, well... made for dogs  :)  Rats need a rat-specific food for their staple, which can be supplemented with high-quality dog food and a grain mix.  If they're fed just dog food and a grain mix, they're not getting all the vitamins and nutrients their body requires.

Which kind of sucks, since HT is so low quality (like all other lab blocks), and Oxbow isn't very palatable to rats.

It does suck that we can't get perfect food for our beloved babies, but I think of it similarly to the way I think of feeding myself: I try to do the best I can and provide variety and keep everyone healthy.  As long as I'm trying my hardest to give them a complete diet, with all of the most recent information, there's nothing more that I can do for them (or me!!).

Offline rodent_girl_1985

• Posts Too Much!
    • TinyDreamerzzzBezzz
« Reply #978 on: July 09, 2009, 11:39:35 PM »
I'm sure the mods are going to tell us to shut up about rat diet any minute now, so let me add one more thing before they do.
I heard that a company called Onesta Organics is developing an all organic rat food. I even emailed them some months back and they confirmed that they were, but they didn't know when it would be available. Lets all keep our fingers crossed that it has good quality and tasty ingredients :thumbsup2:

Offline lilchris_28

« Reply #979 on: July 10, 2009, 12:04:17 AM »
Awesome!  Is it a block or some sort of grain mixture, I wonder?
Jenny W.
No, my dogs aren't rats too.

Mom to Ichabod, Vladimir, Tarzan, Oddball, Gabriel, Lacey, Anastasia, Atlas, Sylvie, Bella, Annie, and Isadora.

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • We create our own horror; animals have no choice.
« Reply #980 on: July 11, 2009, 10:33:12 AM »
I'm sure the mods are going to tell us to shut up about rat diet any minute now, so let me add one more thing before they do.
I heard that a company called Onesta Organics is developing an all organic rat food. I even emailed them some months back and they confirmed that they were, but they didn't know when it would be available. Lets all keep our fingers crossed that it has good quality and tasty ingredients :thumbsup2:

How awesome! That would be so great. I, too, have issue with the lack of healthy choices to feed my rats. :( I feed HT, but then I feel guilty because of the not so stellar ingredients. So, I feed Solid Gold and Suebee's, but then I know that even still, it's not a "complete diet". So, I switch back. I switch back and forth, back and forth, because I can't figure which is the lesser of the two evils.

That's no block, not a grain mixture. It's some sort of dog food... one I've never seen before. I would love it if the person who actually posted the pictures would be more specific as to what type of dog food this is.

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
  • "A house is not a home without a pet."
« Reply #981 on: July 11, 2009, 11:36:28 AM »

That's no block, not a grain mixture. It's some sort of dog food... one I've never seen before. I would love it if the person who actually posted the pictures would be more specific as to what type of dog food this is.

I think lilchris_28 was referring to the food that Onesta Organics was producing and whether it would be a block or grain mixture. Its pretty clear that the stuff from the pics is dog food, we just don't know what kind.  ???

-Lauren

Offline coeurfragile

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #982 on: July 11, 2009, 12:48:09 PM »
My current cage setups this past week:

Owned by three kittehs (Raja, Adrian and Audrina), and two pups (Sunny and John). Currently on a break from ratties.

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #983 on: July 11, 2009, 01:21:15 PM »

I think lilchris_28 was referring to the food that Onesta Organics was producing and whether it would be a block or grain mixture. Its pretty clear that the stuff from the pics is dog food, we just don't know what kind.  ???

-Lauren

:doh: Of course... *is running on 8 hours of sleep TOTAL in the last three days... that darn Bufford* Sorry. :-[

Offline DontPanic

« Reply #984 on: July 11, 2009, 05:58:13 PM »
Hello everyone first time posting. I love all of your guys CN cages. I'm going to be getting 2 female rats from a breeder in a couple of weeks and have a nice size cage for them now from PetCo but when they get bigger I want to get the double CN. I noticed Petsmart sells the CN and was wondering if anyone has bought it from there cause from what I've read here is most of you ordered yours? Think I would rather buy it from a store then order it so I don't have to worry about it being damaged from shipping.

Thank you, Mike
"This must be Thursday," said Arthur to himself, sinking low over his beer, "I never could get the hang of Thursdays."

"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Offline coeurfragile

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #985 on: July 11, 2009, 07:58:31 PM »
Hello everyone first time posting. I love all of your guys CN cages. I'm going to be getting 2 female rats from a breeder in a couple of weeks and have a nice size cage for them now from PetCo but when they get bigger I want to get the double CN. I noticed Petsmart sells the CN and was wondering if anyone has bought it from there cause from what I've read here is most of you ordered yours? Think I would rather buy it from a store then order it so I don't have to worry about it being damaged from shipping.

Thank you, Mike

Hi Mike and welcoe to Goosemoose!  :wave2:

I think the reason many of us have gone online to buy is because the price is cheaper than at Petsmart.  However, you'd have to check on that. A lot of us ordered from www.allpetfurniture.com, you may be able to check both there and www.petsmart.com to see if they have a price difference.  It's really hit or miss with the shipping. Some people on here have gotten their cages absolutely perfect, and some look like they were dropped off a cliff! 

If the price is no different (or not enough to warrant the nail-biting of whether it will get to your home in one piece) then picking it up at your local store may be the best option!

Good luck to you, and of course we need pics when you decide to get one!  :poke:
Owned by three kittehs (Raja, Adrian and Audrina), and two pups (Sunny and John). Currently on a break from ratties.

Offline andie3131

• Posts Too Much!
  • Harley RIP
« Reply #986 on: July 11, 2009, 08:07:02 PM »
I know they sell the FN but I didn't know Petsmart was carring them in stores now.  Last time I checked(back in December and then in January) they didn't have them, only online. 

Offline DontPanic

« Reply #987 on: July 11, 2009, 08:51:26 PM »
Oh you might be right it could be only online with petsmart, I'll have to check. But I prolly won't be getting it til the end of the summer. When I Do I'll differently put up some pics for sure.

*edit*
Has anyone ordered it from www.petstreetmall.com its only 234.95? Cause at www.allpetfurniture.com its 295.99

Just called Petsmart and they don't carry it in-store so it is only online.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 09:04:04 PM by DontPanic »
"This must be Thursday," said Arthur to himself, sinking low over his beer, "I never could get the hang of Thursdays."

"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Offline rodent_girl_1985

• Posts Too Much!
    • TinyDreamerzzzBezzz
« Reply #988 on: July 11, 2009, 10:42:12 PM »

How awesome! That would be so great. I, too, have issue with the lack of healthy choices to feed my rats. :( I feed HT, but then I feel guilty because of the not so stellar ingredients. So, I feed Solid Gold and Suebee's, but then I know that even still, it's not a "complete diet". So, I switch back. I switch back and forth, back and forth, because I can't figure which is the lesser of the two evils.

What I do is feed the rats their grain mix with dog food one day, and then the regal rat the next. That way i know they get their total dietary need in the oxbow, but they also get their healthy but fun food in the grain mix.

Offline Emma_and_Jean

« Reply #989 on: July 11, 2009, 11:36:09 PM »
Oh you might be right it could be only online with petsmart, I'll have to check. But I prolly won't be getting it til the end of the summer. When I Do I'll differently put up some pics for sure.

*edit*
Has anyone ordered it from www.petstreetmall.com its only 234.95? Cause at www.allpetfurniture.com its 295.99

The fact that this post came with the words "Don't Panic" in large, friendly letters certainly put me at ease... :thumbsup2:

I ordered my CN 141 from petstreetmall.com. I ordered it on a Saturday and it came in Thursday. I was quite pleased with the delivery speed, especially since I needed the cage fast. Only one bar was bent, but that has more to do with UPS than with the website. The only bad thing is that they don't offer tracking, even though they say they do. If you call them, they can look it up for you.

Offline DontPanic

« Reply #990 on: July 11, 2009, 11:43:25 PM »
The fact that this post came with the words "Don't Panic" in large, friendly letters certainly put me at ease...  :thumbsup2:
Nice to see a Hitchhiker fan  :wave2:

I'm glad to hear someone has ordered from that site cause I'm sure I'll be ordering it from there since that is the cheapest I've found so far. Tho I have a few months til I order one. Thanks for the reply.

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #991 on: July 11, 2009, 11:43:41 PM »
Here is my girls CN this time around.

Bottom

-Lauren

Offline coeurfragile

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #992 on: July 11, 2009, 11:52:55 PM »

*edit*

Wow! They definitely changed their pricing. I bought the 162 (double) CN from allpetfurniture in February, and looking back in my email, I paid $239 and had free shipping!

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #993 on: July 12, 2009, 12:07:29 AM »
Lauren...I love the cage this time around! It always looks so bright  :thumbsup2:.

DontPanic....you can order CN's off of ebay for a really great price with free shipping. That is where I will order my second one, if I decide I want another.

Offline critterchic

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #994 on: July 12, 2009, 01:54:18 AM »
Lauren, your cage looks great! I like the yellow triangle, looks like a big wedge of cheese! :yelcutelaugh:
"This is the beginning of a new day.You have been given this day to use as you will. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it.When tomorrow comes,this day will be gone forever; in it's place is something that you have left behind, let it be something good."

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #995 on: July 12, 2009, 08:53:54 AM »
Lauren - Are those bright orange and blue pan liners towels? If so, where did you find them? :)

Offline Nightmelody

• Posts Too Much!
    • Crossroads Rat Rescue!
« Reply #996 on: July 12, 2009, 10:31:04 AM »
Mine was ordered Monday from Petstreet Mall, and I found a coupon for free shipping(just googled petstreet mall coupons) and it arrived Friday. no issues that I am aware of, but I can't set it up until tomorrow.
Founder, Crossroads Rat Rescue - Oklahoma http://crossroadsratrescue.webs.com/

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #997 on: July 12, 2009, 11:00:18 AM »
Lauren - Are those bright orange and blue pan liners towels? If so, where did you find them? :)

Yep they are towels. I got them from Walmart about 5 days ago. They have all this new summer bright colored stuff near all the bedding and they were on the outside of one of the isles like on the end. They had bright pink, green, blue, orange and this really deep purple. I never see bright colors there so I will probably go back and get more for when these get demolished. They were $3.50 too!

Offline synelovator

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #998 on: July 12, 2009, 11:08:22 AM »
I want to get my CN so badlyyy.  But I can't get it until after I move apartments.  :<  (Fortunately, I'm going to Australia for four weeks right before I move, so that'll while away the hours quite well).

Offline DontPanic

« Reply #999 on: July 12, 2009, 12:25:33 PM »
Mine was ordered Monday from Petstreet Mall, and I found a coupon for free shipping(just googled petstreet mall coupons) and it arrived Friday. no issues that I am aware of, but I can't set it up until tomorrow.

You really needed that coupon, on their site it says free shipping on all orders over $50.00 on the top right?